Failing Battery Pack Cover

mgfiest

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

In the US, our audiologists work with support from Med-El CAMs (Clinical Account Managers) who are Med-El audiologists.  I am not sure how things are set up in Canada.

Is it possible for you to ask your audiologist to schedule an appt with you when her Med-El support can attend as well so you can explain all the problems you are having in person?

My Sonnet kit did not come with a second DL-coil.  If your kit was similar, you may still be using your original DL-coil.  It has a serial number so maybe you or your audiologist can see if you ever tried replacing the DL-coil.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had trouble that was caused by a malfunctioning DL-coil (the round part that attaches to our heads).

@mgfiest

• 2 weeks later...

@mary beth

They replaced every piece I have, so in essent I go a brand new unit. We start from square 1 again. I did not go to the audi, she said if this happens again, then we will have MedEl tech at my next visit.

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

Fingers crossed for you!  Let us know how it goes.  Hopefully these problems are behind you now.

• 6 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 6:31 PM, Mary Beth said:

@10underpar

You are getting 31 hours with your Sonnets using disposable implant batteries?  I am not far behind you.  I get two full 16 hours listening days and just a little more.  Nowhere near the up to 60 hours.  But “up to” implies a maximum number of hours rather than a guaranteed minimum number of hours.  I would rather have Med-El report guaranteed minimum number of hours.

My lower battery life has been consistent no matter which processor I use.

Rondos last 3 (16 hour) listening days.

Sonnets last 2 (16 hour) listening days and part of the third day.

Opus 2 with 2 battery pack (XS) last 2 (16 hour) listening days plus a mere one to two hours on the third day.

Opus 2 DaCapo rechargeable battery lasts 10-11 hours.

Sonnet standard size rechargeable battery lasts 10.5 hours at first but quickly starts reducing and before long it doesn’t even get 9 hours.

So I can not use Med-El’s up to ___ hours as a guide since I never come close.  It would be more helpful to me if it was listed as at least ____ hours.

This is what worries me about the Rondo 2 with its integrated battery and no easy way to use disposable batteries unless you want to carry around the battery packs and cables.  As a bilateral user, that would be a lot of stuff.    

I get about the same hours of disposable battery life with the Sonnet, too. I read in the Sonnet owner's manual thoroughly and it stated battery life up to 15 hours, even though MED-EL boasted of up to 60 hours. Kind of misleading advertising in my opinion. I'm disappointed that MED-EL didn't take into consideration of energy efficiency when designing the Sonnet. I was getting as much battery life with my OPUS 2X -- and it has a smaller battery cover!

In addition, I hate the slip on-off battery cover on the Sonnet! The cover can be difficult to slip off (using two hands) and can't turn the processor off while wearing it without the cover slipping off completely. I missed the locking latch feature on the OPUS where I can easily turn the processor off by flipping the latch. Even though the Sonnet has a few favorable new features, but I feel MED-EL is behind the technology in comparison with other CI brands.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sid

It seems each processor has its own advantages.

I like the OPUS2 very much and miss some of its features in the Sonnet.  To me the OPUS2 is much sturdier.  I like the way the battery cover slides on and the on/off lever.  I like the way the mic is protected in the hook.  I like the small size of the XS version.

To me the Sonnet has a more natural sound quality.  And the adaptive program is amazing in noise.  The durable cables are terrific.

Now if we could just have all these features in one processor!  Smile 

• 6 months later...

The battery cover on my Sonnet failed within a few months, as did the mic cover.  The battery cover developed a long crack and the vent piece came loose.  I believe that the cause is the o- ring — it is too large in diameter so when the cover is pushed up into position, the o-ring stresses the cover, eventually causing it to crack.

My Audi says she has seen several sonnets with this proble.  MedEl needs to redesign the cover, and in the meantime replace it as needed regardless of the one year warranty.