Flying to Europe with CI

Shirsee

Hi all,

I'm getting ready for an international trip soon. I get different advice about going through security and the metal detectors and I'm confused. I wear a Sonnet-Eas system. Some people say they walk right through the metal detector with their processor on and working and never give it a second thought. They send their backpack or luggage through the detector too with their spare processor inside. What is Med-Els official recommendation on this? Also, if you travel abroad, what do you take with you CI related? I'd love to hear about that too. Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

I walk through the airline scanners with my processors on.  No problem ever.

My spare processors are turned off and stored in a case in my backpack which goes through the carry on scanners.  No problems.

I bring a lot of items when I travel!  Everything I may need.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

Nope no problems so far at all.

One last question, do you have a Roger Pen? I do and I was thinking about taking mine because I use it a lot for practice but I may get enough practice just listening to people. If you do have one, I notice mine came with a US plug and a EU plug adaptor but not a UK plug adaptor. The UK has to be different I guess just like us LOL. Anyway, I don't know where I could get one for the UK. Would you know? Thanks.

I lied. One more question, do you go through the metal with your CI turned on? I just wondered if I should turn it off when I walk through that thing. This isn't related to my question but they always scan me. I can count on it. I think it's the wire in my chest from heart surgery. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I go through with my processors on.

Phonak (who makes the Roger Pen) says NOT to use the Roger Pen on planes.  Safe to use when you reach your destination.

(Smile) I have a screw in my skull from when my surgeon thought I could wear a Baha (he was wrong), and it has never set off any alarm when I go through security.  My body-style hearing aid did set off the alarms and since they were totally obsolete, it was not easy to explain that it was a hearing aid (everyone knows a hearing aid is in or mostly in the ear, and this sure didn't fit their idea of a hearing aid!), so I just got scanned endlessly when I flew.  However, if you give yourself extra time, the scanning is a bit annoying but not such a big deal, so don't worry about it!  If push comes to shove and they do scan you...so what?!!  

That said, I am still waiting to get the processor, so I have no experience with the CI in traveling....

• 5 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Does Med-El have something official about this matter, i.e. going through metal detectors, xray and body scanners at the airport? Several people say they don't remove them from their heads but my audi says to remove them as my programs could be wiped off. What is Med-El's position? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I'd be interested to hear this as well, we are planning a trip for next spring.  I thought I read somewhere that it's okay to go through the metal detector thing but to ask to have spare processors and whatnot inspected by hand rather than x-rayed.  @Mary Beth's post suggests that's not the case, though.

• HearPeers Heroes
46 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Thanks, @Mary Beth - sounds like there's very little to worry about!

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't understand how some people's processors' programs get wiped off then. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Check out page 38 from UNC cochlear implant guide.

https://www.med.unc.edu/ent/adultcochlearimplant/files/2018/05/Final-Approved-Adult-CI-Journal_4.17.2018.pdf

Problems with programs getting erased or corrupted on processors used to be a bigger issue than it is now since our processors have better static electricity protection.  Static electricity can damage programs.  Typically the active program.  Programs in other program slots may still be fine.  Strong X-rays damage processors too and that’s  why we are not supposed to place our processors in checked luggage. 

I travel with all of my CI items in my backpack.  That always stays with me on the plane.

Hi @Jewel

You shouldn't need to take off your audio processor for going through x-rays etc, however, do inform airport staff. You can read more about travelling with a cochlear implant here: https://blog.medel.com/traveling-with-a-cochlear-implant/

Thanks, 

Mary 

Great article Valentin, especially the point of having a paper or digital copy of your settings. Never would have thought of that!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

Thanks for that article. 

None of the Med-El articles mention anything about mappings being wiped off though. So I wonder whether there is any truth to that claim of mappings being wiped off. @MED-EL Moderatorcan you please advise about that specifically?