Post Surgery Question

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes
2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

The magnet does operate differently.  It’s due to the difference between the internal concert and internal synchrony magnet designs.  It was odd at first for me too.

The concert has north and south magnetized poles top and bottom and so our coil magnets (marked with circles) just attract and are always centered perfectly.  Doesn’t matter if we use a D-coil or a DL-coil with Sonnets on the Concert side.  They attract in one spot, always centered.

The synchrony has the rotating magnet that has north and south magnetized poles split left and right (instead of top and bottom). This means that there is a bit of wiggle room where the coil will attach.  You will get great at centering the synchrony coil but it does work differently than the concert magnets.  Synchrony magnets are marked with triangles.  (Sometimes when you first put on the magnet on the Synchrony side at the start of your day, you may even hear a sound (if your concert side is already on).

I had a tired brain again when my second side was activated until it sorted itself out a bit.

I knew how the magnet worked but was unaware it would not centre itself. So it sticks to the implant housing first then I get it cantered it sounds normal. Yes I get sound before it is centered. Funny. My brain is mush at the end of the day. For sure!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

I guess I think of it as connecting to the internal synchrony magnet, but not being centered correctly.  We increased the magnet strength slightly (from the negative position to the positive position inside the DL-coil) and it centers better now.  But it is a noticeable difference to how the internal concert magnet attracts.

• HearPeers Heroes

Another question for you @Mary Beth do you put both of your Sonnetd in one dryer? I have so far. I did with my HA and Sonnet as well. Making sure to keep magnets separate from processor part 

image.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

You know, both of you are talking about how tired the brain stuff makes you.  I'm already tired since my surgery.  Seems like this will be a tired year!

@Kara of Canada on that xray that you showed, there's a sort of wiry looking thing that appears to be on the outside of your head.  Do you know what that is?

• HearPeers Heroes

Other than the staples I beleve it’s the implant itself then the electrode. The way it swirls then goes in. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

I am comfortable placing 2 Rondos in one Dry Star kit, but I use 2 Dry Star kits for my Sonnets.  It just seems so squished with two of everything in there and I want good air flow.  So at home I put each Sonnet in its own Dry kit each night.  When I travel though, I only bring one dry kit and put both Sonnets in it together being careful of the magnet placements like you mentioned.

• HearPeers Heroes

I think I was looking at the staples.  The electrode is also visible but that wasn't what I was looking at.  That's pretty cool.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

For me it was a different kind of tired after activation.  My brain was tired.  It was a unique sensation.  Smile.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - yup, I think I know what you mean.  I had some of that.  Four years ago we went through a period where I was working 60+ hours a week and having to keep way too many balls in the air - identifying failures in how some software was working, getting the IT guy to fix it, reconciling inventory accounts between two systems, neither of which was correct, trying to keep normal activity happening though we'd lost a bunch of functionality.  Every night I'd go home and could barely even think.  I was reading really simple stuff to wind down and get to sleep.

After that I made if pretty clear we're not doing THAT again.  I'll save my brain tiredness for something like this.

• HearPeers Heroes

You are almost there @Mary Featherston.  I look forward to reading about your journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

Kara, looks like you got a different Skinit design for your new CI. Love it! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually they are from the same one. They give you options with one package! Probabaly so you can tell them apart! Lol 

• HearPeers Heroes

There were a lot of options.  I think there are enough in one Design Skin Sonnet sheet to cover both sides of all the different battery covers.....

standard

micro

FM

and all the various coil options.....D coil, DL-coil high and low covers.

They are big sheets.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

Didn’t you used to have a picture display with your name on HPs?

• HearPeers Heroes

No I could never get a pic to download always told me it was too big. @Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

Kara, download a photo resizer app. It can make your photo have a smaller size which then fits this forum's limit. That's what I did. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I sent it to the moderator. 

5 hours ago, Kara of Canada said:

No I could never get a pic to download always told me it was too big. @Mary Beth

What a pain lol, it happened to me when trying to upload the pics from my surgery thread... had to juggle with paint until it got the right size.

Another thing is sometimes you need to refresh the page as it gets "stuck" in that error even if the file is the right size.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes me too. With posting a pic I don’t have a problem. It’s only to download to a profile pic. For some strange reason.  

Tomorrow is going to be the second week after surgery. I'm doing things as usual since Monday but I'm still feeling something inside my ear, like if it had a swimming ear plug in my ear. Does it mean that I still have a swelling inside my ear and it will disappear eventually?

Another thing and this one is funny because I'm able to move my ears. After surgery and as of today, I only can move the lower part of the implanted ear lol.