Spring/Summer surgeries and activations

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada - at least we know it was made by Phonak (says so on the plastic bit by your thumb).  Which, now that I have a Med-El device in my head, is a relief.  I'm glad to learn that it wasn't Med-El with problematic process control!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I know. I’m flustered with this unreliable device. I’ll recieve my third one this coming week. I hope this one is not the same. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I personally have not had any issues with the Roger pen or Roger 21. I use them often with no issues.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Mary Beth, those pictures help make it clearer.  Still looks to me as though the ill-fitting component is made by Phonak.  That doesn't help Kara, but I do feel better knowing that it's not Med-El. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks so much @Mary Beth you always seem to help us in ways we would never have known. Your knowledge is outstanding! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for your kind words @Kara of Canada.  Since I am a TOD, I have been working with CIs, tech and aural rehab with students for a long time.  It has been a wonderful career. 

• 2 weeks later...

IMPLANTED!!! Just had the CI implant surgery today. Checked into the Ohio State University ENT out-patient clinic at 6 AM and was on my way out by 11 AM. Surgery seemed to go just fine and absolutely no hearing related adverse side effects. No dizziness, no numbness or taste issues, almost no pain...Tylenol handles it fine. Looking forward to activiation on June 13th.

I did have a reaction to the general anesthesia. Seems my bladder didn't like some of the drugs and decided to inflict me with POUR - post operative urine retention. Had to go to ER and get a catheter inserted to relive the pressure. Looks like it may take a few days for the problem to resolve so I'm living with a cath for awhile. YUCK! This wasn't discussed during pre-op consults but apparently is not uncommon with general anesthesia. Might be further compounded by being an older guy (65) with possible prostate enlargement issues. 

Just when I look like I might be winning on the hearing front another body part starts screwing up! Oh Well :angry:

• HearPeers Heroes

@DaveD  rest easy!  I hope everything sorts itself out soon.  The fun will begin with activation.  Smile!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yikes, @DaveD, that sounds nasty.  Hope it's clearing up and you can anticipate your activation!

I forgot to mention that there is a "self-noise" issue. The implant works as a good heartbeat indicator and gives me sound pulses when I chew.

• HearPeers Heroes

Many people have commented on sound perceptions when they chew.  Are you saying that you also hear a sound perception for each heartbeat?  I wonder if that is the same as pulsatile tinnitus?

I've had pulsatile tinnitus for some time. The CI is just a different manifestation. It's the same pulse sound from chewing or jaw movements and not like the mild swooshing sound. My CI surgeon pointed out on my CT scan that the bone that the carotid artery passes through is somewhat thinner than normal and may be transmitting some blood flow noise.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have heard of that before and hope that after activation, the tinnitus will not be as noticeable while your processor is on.

I don’t notice my tinnitus while my processors are on most times.  When I remove my processors before bed,  the tinnitus is more noticeable but it is much quieter than before receiving implants.  I hope you are as fortunate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations @pakom!  Which processor did you choose?  How is it going so far?

This is my first time to post, not sure how to reply to your reply...but here goes.  I chose Med-el, have a Sonnet and will get Rondo when I go for next appt. on June 20th. I am using Angel Sounds to train and I feel that I am already hearing better than I did with my hearing aids. So far, NO problems with surgery or activation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @pakom!

Nice that you already see an improvement just one week with having the CI. This forum is very informative. Stick around. I'm sure you will enjoy it. 

Welcome @pakom, congratulations for the surgery and activation. Like you, I also feel that I'm hearing better with my CI than my HA in the other ear and it has only been 2 weeks today. This long weekend here in Australia was good for me as I spent the whole weekend without HA and I didn't feel I needed it unless I needed to make a call. Voices have a little bit of echo and I'm waiting to see if it is adaptation or mapping. In 1.5 week I have my next mapping so, we'll see.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @pakom! Enjoy your hearing journey and all the noise :) 

11 hours ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

Welcome @pakom, congratulations for the surgery and activation. Like you, I also feel that I'm hearing better with my CI than my HA in the other ear and it has only been 2 weeks today. This long weekend here in Australia was good for me as I spent the whole weekend without HA and I didn't feel I needed it unless I needed to make a call. Voices have a little bit of echo and I'm waiting to see if it is adaptation or mapping. In 1.5 week I have my next mapping so, we'll see.

I have not attempted telephone.  After my next mapping appt., maybe I'll get brave enough to try.  I haven't used phone in so long (except to text) that I am almost afraid of the phone.  Voice messages left for me are so hard to understand that I have to get someone to listen to them for me.  Hopefully, that's about to change?

• HearPeers Heroes

@pakom

check out Telephone With Confidence (online) when you are ready for phone practice