Spring/Summer surgeries and activations

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@DaveD

mini ear gear covers to cover just the Sonnet mic area for help with wind noise

https://www.gearforears.com/content/ear-gear-mini-cordless

I find that the Sonnets do best in wind when in omni mic setting.  You can ask your audiologist to set a program to omni mic setting and see how it works for you.  (Omni is also best for music since it does not dampen bass tones)

@Mary Beth

Oh yeah! I got some of those a few years ago. They were a pain to use with my BTE HAs. Had to take off the earmolds and and try sliding the things on. I just found one in my old HA collection. It was a bit long for the Sonnet but it trimmed down ok. After the weather clears up i might go out for a wind test!

Thanks!

@Mary Beth

Oh yeah! I got some of those a few years ago. They were a pain to use with my BTE HAs. Had to take off the earmolds and and try sliding the things on. I just found one in my old HA collection. It was a bit long for the Sonnet but it trimmed down ok. After the weather clears up i might go out for a wind test!

Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@DaveD  Let us know how it works for you.

@Mary Beth

Thanks!

@Mary Beth

I see that I am now a "Super Contributor". I'm thinking all the repeat posts from whatever is wrong with the system has pushed me to that level. Oh well, I feel honored nevertheless. I guess I should link a photo and come in out of the shadow.

BTW, running with the Sonnet is not working. Finally got out for a little jog this AM! The microphone sensitivity to low frequency and wind noise, even with the EarGear cover, was just too noisy. I was afraid that the CI without the sound processor in place would pick up conductive noise from foot-strike on pavement but that wasn't an issue at all.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @DaveD. Nice to be able to put a face with the name ?. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DaveD

nice to see you!

I would check to see if you have an omni program.  Omni is by far the best for me in wind.  Keep us posted.

@Mary Beth

Hopefully the audi will set me up with some other programs this Friday. Right now, the programs are just different varying levels of volume.

@Mary Beth

Hopefully the audi will set me up with some other programs this Friday. Right now, the programs are just different varying levels of volume.

• HearPeers Heroes

When you reach a stable MAP, your audiologist may be willing to give you different types of programs to test out in different situations.  People prefer different mic settings in Sonnets as their everyday programs.  Hopefully you will get to test the: out and decide what works best for you in different settings.

Yiu can also request a special MAP for running.  Your audiologist may be able to design a MAP with reduction in wind noise in mind.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

When you reach a stable MAP, your audiologist may be willing to give you different types of programs to test out in different situations

Makes sense, in my case that I'm only 5 weeks post activation, I'm not interested in programs, just in getting a stable map in which I can hear better. After that I'm going to try all of the features my processor has. That is the program my audi has for me anyway.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

Sounds similar to what my audiologist did.  Establish a stable MAP, then give other programs to test out.  Each user is different.  Some users like to have special programs to use in various situations (noise, music, etc) and switch between them throughout their day.  Other users like to stay in one program all day.

With my Opus 2 and Rondos, I stay in one program all day and never switch.

With my Sonnets, I stay in my preferred omni program all day and switch into my adaptive program when in a lot of noise.

I can't post here anymore. I had a post to submit and got Error 403 Forbidden. This is getting very boring now.

I'm still trying to post a response to your post @Mary Beth but the site would not let me submit. 

@Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Just thinking outside the box here, have you tried turning down the sensitivity on your fine tuner it may make things more beareable in the mean time till you can get a special mapp made. 

@Kara of Canada @Mary Beth

So far, the sensitivity function on the FineTuner is disabled. I think the protocol for this audi is to gradually introduce features.

Anyway, I saw my audi on Friday. WOW! I explained to her how this persistent low frequency rumble made it very hard to understand speech. She proceeded to change MCL levels. The old map had higher settings at low and high ends. The new map was almost flat across all channels. What a difference! With the old settings I could barely understand her speech even with the HA on. With the new settings, I was fine hearing her even with the HA off. I've still got a 'warbling' sound in the background of most speech but we'll work on that later.

Still can't really use the Roger pen much. It works ok but volume level for the phone is too low. She called me while I had the Roger pen connected and in her office I could carry on a conversation but I think in a normal environment it wouldn't be loud enough. She didn't have the device need to change pen settings so that will work until I s her next week with the Med-El rep. The rep will also be bringing the EAS Sonnet to test out.

Bottom line: This first mapping adjustment was fantastic. No more sounds of 747 Jumbo Jet from the elevator fan. I can actually carry on a conversation with my wife while driving down the road with the windows open. Jimmy Buffett is sounding more like his old self!

I'm confident that things will only get better.

@Kara of Canada @Mary Beth

So far, the sensitivity function on the FineTuner is disabled. I think the protocol for this audi is to gradually introduce features.

Anyway, I saw my audi on Friday. WOW! I explained to her how this persistent low frequency rumble made it very hard to understand speech. She proceeded to change MCL levels. The old map had higher settings at low and high ends. The new map was almost flat across all channels. What a difference! With the old settings I could barely understand her speech even with the HA on. With the new settings, I was fine hearing her even with the HA off. I've still got a 'warbling' sound in the background of most speech but we'll work on that later.

Still can't really use the Roger pen much. It works ok but volume level for the phone is too low. She called me while I had the Roger pen connected and in her office I could carry on a conversation but I think in a normal environment it wouldn't be loud enough. She didn't have the device need to change pen settings so that will work until I s her next week with the Med-El rep. The rep will also be bringing the EAS Sonnet to test out.

Bottom line: This first mapping adjustment was fantastic. No more sounds of 747 Jumbo Jet from the elevator fan. I can actually carry on a conversation with my wife while driving down the road with the windows open. Jimmy Buffett is sounding more like his old self!

I'm confident that things will only get better.

• HearPeers Heroes

@DaveD

Terrific!  I’m happy your new MAP sounds so much better!

Just to clarify the adjustment on the Roger 21 to boost the Roger input........ what can be adjusted is actually the built in Roger X (02) receiver in the Roger 21 integrated battery cover.  It is an Easy Gain adjustment that can boost the Roger input several decibels.  I will try to post a link about that.  There is no adjustment that can be made on the Roger Pen.  The Roger Pen sends the signal sound to the built in Roger X (02) receiver in the Roger 21 battery door.  The Roger receiver then boosts the received sound to compensate for the Sonnet’s impedance level and then boosts a bit more if Easy Gain is set to do so.  To make this adjustment though, someone needs either a Roger Inspiro or a Roger Touchscreen Mic.  Either of those transmitters allows you to connect to the Roger 21 built in receiver and set an Easy Gain boost.  The Roger 21 built in receiver will then stay set that way even when receiving signals from the Roger Pen.

To my knowledge,  Med-El reps do not bring along Roger Touchscreen Mics nor Roger Inspiros.  I do not know if they even have access to them as they are Phonak devices, not Med-El devices.

This has caused complications for users who want or need the Easy Gain adjusted as many of our CI audiologists do not have those transmitters either.  Some users have purchased Roger Inspiro or Roger Touchscreen Mics on eBay and followed online instructions to boost Easy Gain themselves.  It is simple to do.  The stumbling block seems to be in access to the needed transmitters to set the adjustment.  We use these devices at school with our students so do this regularly.  If you know of a Teacher of the Deaf near you who has access to Roger Inspiro or Roger Touchscreen Mic, maybe she/he can help you.

• HearPeers Heroes

@DaveD

Terrific!  I’m happy your new MAP sounds so much better!

Just to clarify the adjustment on the Roger 21 to boost the Roger input........ what can be adjusted is actually the built in Roger X (02) receiver in the Roger 21 integrated battery cover.  It is an Easy Gain adjustment that can boost the Roger input several decibels.  I will try to post a link about that.  There is no adjustment that can be made on the Roger Pen.  The Roger Pen sends the signal sound to the built in Roger X (02) receiver in the Roger 21 battery door.  The Roger receiver then boosts the received sound to compensate for the Sonnet’s impedance level and then boosts a bit more if Easy Gain is set to do so.  To make this adjustment though, someone needs either a Roger Inspiro or a Roger Touchscreen Mic.  Either of those transmitters allows you to connect to the Roger 21 built in receiver and set an Easy Gain boost.  The Roger 21 built in receiver will then stay set that way even when receiving signals from the Roger Pen.

To my knowledge,  Med-El reps do not bring along Roger Touchscreen Mics nor Roger Inspiros.  I do not know if they even have access to them as they are Phonak devices, not Med-El devices.

This has caused complications for users who want or need the Easy Gain adjusted as many of our CI audiologists do not have those transmitters either.  Some users have purchased Roger Inspiro or Roger Touchscreen Mics on eBay and followed online instructions to boost Easy Gain themselves.  It is simple to do.  The stumbling block seems to be in access to the needed transmitters to set the adjustment.  We use these devices at school with our students so do this regularly.  If you know of a Teacher of the Deaf near you who has access to Roger Inspiro or Roger Touchscreen Mic, maybe she/he can help you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Although that info above only states the Roger Inspiro being able to adjust Easy Gain, the newer Roger Touchscreen Mic can do it also.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adjusting Easy Gain with Roger Touchscreen Mic

45FBEAC4-F99B-413A-B9F7-D6B379637D99.jpeg