CI Surgery on 14th May.

Renachelw

Hi everyone, thanks for your constant support these past few months :)

I am so glad to have virtually met you all on this website, even though I eventually did not choose Medel. (The hospital doesn't allow me to change brands now that I already ordered it :( )

I am still so scared because honestly idk if I am thinking too much, but I have always been feeling tired/ weaker than others. So I'm hoping that I don't have any undiscovered health issues that might make me reject the implant/ allergic to the GA and such...I really hope I wake up. I also have no idea why the hospital did not check if I'm allergic to the GA? Is this normal procedures? I don't have any other known allergies to medicines or food. 

Anyway, my parents and basically everyone around me still haven't come to terms with me getting an implant, they want me to wait longer in hopes of a miracle. (If a miracle happens, I rly hope it will happen before the surgery because I really need to hear again for school and work, and cannot delay surgery anymore.) 

I am just wondering, if let's say eventually (knock on wood) I find the implant of no use, and remove it, will the structural integrity of my skull be affected? Will I be able to do contact sports/ get hit in the head to the same limits as non-implanted ppl? 

Finally, how did you guys manage with the pain after surgery? Idk if I can manage because I actually once fainted from a sprained ankle haha. Will I be able to return to work immediately? 

I'm also worried about other things like sneezing because I have sensitive nose and can sneeze more than 5x and consecutively in a day.. and also running/swimming.. how long do I have to wait to resume such activities? 

Thank you everyone :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Renachelw

Leading up to CI surgery is an anxious time for many people.  In a way, receiving a CI is a leap of faith.  For me, having so much wonderful hearing with my CIs, is a miracle.  I feel very fortunate every morning when I put on my processors and go from hearing nothing to hearing everything.

Check with your surgeon about restrictions post surgery.  Every surgeon has her/his specific list.

After your surgeon clears you for swimming, it is soooo much fun to hear while in the water.  I love my Rondos in their waterwear covers both for comfort and for sound clarity.  Amazing.

The amount of pain post surgery varies greatly.  For me, these were the easiest ear surgeries I have had.  I only used Tylenol and only for a couple of days.  My recoveries were fast.  I was fortunate.

Sneezing scared me as well because I also get sneezing fits of 7 strong sneezes in a row and was wondering how I could prevent sneezing during the weeks post surgery when sneezing is discouraged.  I looked online for suggestions.  Smile.  Fortunately, I did not experience any sneezing fits during that time.  

I wish you the best.

Hi @Renachelw ,

I just had my surgery on 4th May, last weekend. You can read my story post-surgery HERE. My surgery was easy, no complications with overnight stay at the hospital. Next day I was taken for a CT Scan to make sure the implant was properly placed in the cochlea and after that you are discharged.

I didn't have much pain, the prescription pain tablets were not necessary so I didn't take them. Just took the antibiotics. Dizziness for a couple of days after anaesthesia wears off but today after a week of the surgery I felt I could go to work. I didn't though, I'm coming back to work on Monday.

It was so much easier than expected, I now want to do my next ear as soon as possible.   

You must know that every person's reaction to the surgery is different but at the end it pays off.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Renachelw - you will be fine.  (Though I find it amusing to read about all the sneezes here, I've also always sneezed 6-7 times in a row.  I have a co-worker whose office is down the hall and around the corner from me and when I sneeze she opens anDon' instant message and says Gesundheit!

Don't focus on the pain, though Renachelw - I found that it subsided really quickly.  There will be tenderness at the implant site but it's easy to avoid bumping that.  Just hang in there!  You can do it.

You won't regret it.  I'm only two days post-activation and I can already see progress.  It's exciting!

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies! I survived the surgery. They gave me some IV and I knocked out even before they gave me the anesthesia gas :lol: Before I knew it, I was in the waiting room already. Throat has a little bit of bleeding from the intubation, but otherwise all’s good and will be able to go home today :) 

0F59CAAD-BC67-4BB0-BD7F-63182DAB5DA5.jpeg

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

You did it!  Great job!  Rest easy.  When is activation?

43 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

You did it!  Great job!  Rest easy.  When is activation?

Thanks :) switch on is on 5th June, and 1st mapping on 11th June. 

My abs feels sore currently.. anyone has any idea if this is normal? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Renachelw I’m so happy to hear of you getting your CI and your successful surgery!! I can’t wait to hear about your activation and follow your journey ? 

As for your abs feeling sore - did you throw up after surgery? I did...5 times and that’s why my abs were sore.

Rest up! ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth! It was most definitely a reaction to the anesthesia. All good now!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

I felt nauseous in the recovery room after my first CI surgery and the nurse gave me injections twice to combat it.  When we were speaking with the anesthesia team the morning of my second CI surgery we mentioned that and they changed the meds they used in the anesthesia for the second surgery.  Whatever they used the second time was absolutely fabulous!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - ha, same here, more or less, only I learned that anesthesia makes me nauseated during a different surgery, about 15 years ago.  I told the anesthesiologist when I arrived at the surgery center for my CI implantation and he told me that he would take a more aggressive approach to antinausea meds than he'd planned.  Whatever he did, it worked, I felt great when I came out of anesthesia.

I did throw up twice after surgery. Strangely I didn't have ABS pain, but then it made sense since I'm used to going to the gym. (Not that I'm Mr Olympia though) :lol:

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth they gave me 2 rounds of anti nausea medicine and threw that up too ? good times. I threw up for all 3 of my ear surgeries but this was the worst. If I do the other side maybe they can mix a different cocktail!

@stranger my throwing up was very forceful and it was 5 times...2 would have been a breeze! 

Nope I didn’t have any side effects. No nausea, no pain, no headaches or vomitting. I feel normal except for the throat pain.

But now I have terrible ringing in my ears and I’m so scared it will be there forever. It’s very very loud, it woke me up last night. 

I used to have tinnitus but it wasn’t this bad. I don’t know what to do now :/ 

• HearPeers Heroes

A lot of people have loud and/or interesting tinnitus (ringing) post surgery.  For most people, this goes away or gets quite a bit quieter over time.  

If you are concerned, reach out to your surgeon.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

I’m sorry your recovery from your first CI surgery was so awful.  I have had lots of ear surgeries and my CI surgeries were by far the easiest recoveries for me.  I definitely got lucky.

I think this may be the first time I have seen you mention a possibility for a second CI.  Smile.  If you pursue a second CI, I sure hope they can handle your anesthesia better.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth I think I’m probably one of the rare people whose CI surgery made them so sick with nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. I’m happy your CI surgeries were easier for you than the others.

Haha I always think about a second CI but it will be a while before I act on it. Smile ? I always think how rewarding the first one was and how a second one would really give me a hearing boost. Yes, I agree, I hope they can handle my anesthesia better if I pursue a second CI!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah you did not have an easy experience so it must be difficult to willingly go through that again.  Definitely understandable.  

@Megan L. in my case, that I'm still waiting for activation, I'm crossing fingers on not having a long process so I can do my other ear as soon as possible lol.

I know I shouldn't have my expectation too high but it is the way I am. Always pushing and thinking about the best but also knowing that things can't go as expected.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth exactly! Maybe in a few years....we’ll see. My HP crew will be the first to know!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger getting a CI is a process and a journey. Enjoy it! Don’t rush it and celebrate along the way. Everyone does differently with surgery and activation. I had a hard recovery and an easy activation- everything came back to me very quickly (music, speech, phone - in that order). I wouldn’t trade that for anything no matter how sick I was after surgery and during recovery!

@Megan L. I agree with everything you said. I'm at the waiting moment, still 1.5 weeks to go for activation and it seems like ages lol.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger good luck at activation! It does feel like a long time when you’re waiting to be activated 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Great for both of you! @Renachelwand @stranger  Relax and rest up. Lots of work comes with activation. 

• Like 2