CI Surgery on 14th May.

Renachelw

• HearPeers Heroes
21 hours ago, stranger said:

@Megan L. in my case, that I'm still waiting for activation, I'm crossing fingers on not having a long process so I can do my other ear as soon as possible lol.

I know I shouldn't have my expectation too high but it is the way I am. Always pushing and thinking about the best but also knowing that things can't go as ex pected.

Oh, man, stranger, you're sounding like me.  I was in yesterday for my second mapping and the audiologist kept telling me it had only been six days and I was actually doing really well!  But I am really looking forward to all these oddball sounds stopping and things to sound normal.  At least partly because I want to have my second ear done yet this year!

We should make it a race.  :-) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

Later today I will be going to switch on my implant. It's been about 22 days since surgery. So far all seems good except for the fact that I thought I had a scab on my ear, pulled on it, and instead, a string of stitch came out. I mistakenly pulled out a stitch. :( 

That aside, I do not feel any pain, except for the occasional stinging of the surgical site, which I assume is normal since the skin feels thin? 

I'm also kinda worried now coz ytd night I had a long chain of hard sneezes, and sneezed really hard like some crazy woman haha. This morning, my ear/head felt some pressure, and I'm wondering if it's because of sneezing so hard and so many times?

Also, does sneezing have the potential to dislodge anything inside? And if the implant migrates, how will we know? 

Thank you :) 

Hi @Renachelw, congratulations for your future activation, I wish you the best on this special day!I

I also sneezed some times during my recovery and I was also worried but nothing happened at the end. Did you sneeze with your mouth open to let the air escape? it is recommended to do it that way at least for the first week of recovery.

I also read somewhere that it is very hard to dislodge the implant after surgery but I don't remember where :( 

Good luck with Activation day!! 

Thanks everyone :) 

I’ve activated it. At first my audiologists sounded like demons, I think I’m gonna have nightmares tonight haha. 

Surprisingly, after a while they sounded more like humans. Everything still sounds squeaky tho, but I’m able to hear much more than I could with hearing aids. 

I actually tried not lipreading my audiologists and managed to make out a few sentences. But now that I’ve left the room, with background noise, everyone sounds squeaky again.

Hope it will get better and I’m so glad I did this surgery. Fingers crossed :) 

• Like 4

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like a fabulous start!  Enjoy your journey!  Keep us posted.

Yup. Thanks everyone :) 

Day 2, as soon as I put on the implant, for some strange reason my ears started ringing. I hope this is normal..?

I can also hear parts of conversations from the backseat in a car without lipreading. This is life changing. I’m quite hopeful, and look forward to my first mapping soon!

Btw, just curious, how do store your processors? I was given some electronic dryer. After taking the processors out, it feels quite warm. A little bit of heat should be no harm I’m guessing..? 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

There are different kinds of dry kits.  One takes 8 hours to complete the cycle and the processors are warm to the touch when the cycle ends.  Another takes 3 hours to complete the cycle and the processors are not warm to the touch when the cycle ends.

Rechargeable batteries should not go in the dry kits per Med-El.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Rechargeable batteries should not go in the dry kits per Med-El.

I see that is different with AB. They recommend to put the rechargeable batteries in the dryer from time to time to keep them in good condition.

The dry kit I have is the one that takes 8 hours and leaves the processor a bit warm. I think is called the Zephyr.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Renachelw

Just two days and already you can make out some sentences without lipreading? Marvellous! Please keep us posted. Enjoy your journey ?. 

@Mary Beth Thanks for the information :) Previously I only used a drying beaker for my HAs, so this electric dryer thing is very new to me haha.

@stranger That's interesting! I guess different makers have different storage instructions haha. My processor uses non-rechargeable batteries, I think i'm going to go broke as batteries seem to run out much faster than HAs :/ 

@Jewel Yes, I am happy and surprised too! A lot of people prayed for me, it must've worked :) Honestly i'm happy and scared at the same time because it feels too good to be true, and now, I'm afraid to lose this newfound hearing. 

The sounds don't sound too unnatural now as when first switch on, but I hope it can be better. I tried streaming music to my processor and it doesn't sound that bad! I'm able to hear few sentences on the radio (In Chinese though. I've not tried listening to English channel yet, but Chinese used to be easier as there's more tone.) Only wish they would speak slower because its so hard to catch and i'm not used to listening haha. For high-pitched songs, it's still hard to differentiate between male and female voices. 

I'm trying to listen to songs (while i'm working now, multitasking lol) as much as possible and hopefully I can rehab on my own.. the hospital wants me to go for rehab but it is so costly here. It's also very time consuming. Trying my best. 

Songs sound quite different yet similar to what I heard before I lost my hearing, it's quite hard to describe. Guitars sound like Zithers now, and when I whistle, I only hear the air sound. Not sure if it will get better with mapping, but I certainly hope it will :)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Renachelw

Well it's early days still. Be sure to check out the rehab section in this forum. Apparently there are lots of great stuff you can download to your mobile device for aural rehab. Have fun! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Things get MUCH better in time with CIs.

• HearPeers Heroes

It will gradually become clearer, @Renachelw.  If you are wearing your processor with default settings and no mapping, yeah, it's going to improve!  And then you'll practice and do rehab and it will get even better.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Renachelw

Little late to your activation party :) but I'm so happy for you and that you are hearing better each day! It's a wild ride so enjoy every hearing moment!

@Mary Beth @Mary Featherston Thanks, that’s great to know :)

Day 3, my head still rings when I put on the processor. Think I need few hours to get used to it before the ringing stops. 

I can’t really differentiate singers, they all sound the same to me.. some parts of the songs seem to go really soft, and then back loud again. Not sure if this is because they sang too high or too low, out of my audible range, or is it literally just diminuendo.

Oh, I heard keys jingling, they sound really metallic and high. Plastic and paper sounds annoying, but I ain’t complaining :) 

I sound different since switch on. I sound like I’m having a sore throat, and I sound very low. I don’t sound soft to myself, but everyone’s saying I’m speaking too softly. I don’t know what’s going on, hope mapping can solve this issue. 

And.. I can’t sing :/ I’m terribly off. Lol.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, your own voice will sound a LOT different.  And my audiologist said the same thing, you will start speaking more softly, because you hear yourself better now.

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s early days @Renachelw.  A lot changes over the first weeks.  It’s a crazy ride, huh?  But so worth it in the end.

Hi @Renachelw, it is good to hear your progress. I also hear the keys jingling but in the way the should sound. That happened after my second mapping 3 days later after my fisrt mapping. when is your next mapping session?

Thanks everyone :)

@stranger I don’t know either, but now when I hear that metallic sound, I associate it with keys, and surprisingly got it right. It’s quite similar to how it used to sound, but also quite different. I dont know how to explain lol. My next and first mapping will be this coming Monday. 

I’m at work now, and can hear the mouse clickings and typings in office, just found out there’s even background music playing. I’m enjoying every bit haha.

• Like 2

Good for you @Renachelw, at the moment I'm not hearing background music at all. Or maybe I'm hearing it but like beep noise and I don't recognise anything. That is what I have experience when going to the gym with lots of background music.

I will tell you after my mapping today if it has improved or not.

@stranger Maybe its because of the environment? I believe gyms are much noisier compared to a small office with less than 10 staff. Yesterday I couldn't hear background music at home, but I heard the ceiling fan cranking for the first time. Mum said it was cranking since long ago but I just didn't hear it lol. With the cranking, I coudn't hear the background music. 

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone experiences beeping when walking through those electro-magnetic lock doors? The type where you have to press a switch to unlock, and it locks back on contact. I wonder if it affects? The lock is quite high up and i'm quite short..

I heard a beep just now walking under, but not sure if it beeped because of the magnet, or because of my automatic program change which is based on the surrounding. 

I also just ran out of batteries... so two 675 batteries lasts me around 29 hours of use. Oh man.. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow make sure you are using batteries for CIs.  Power implant batteries.  Two zinc air power one implant batteries last me a bit more than 2 full listening days (16 hour days).

You may have dead battery beep warnings activated.