Angel Sounds

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

I just spent an hour with Angel Sounds.  At random, I chose to work on vowel recognition first, but I find it odd that I'm not hearing words even when I do discriminate between the different sounds successfully.  Is there any recommendation as to the sequence of the training?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

In the beginning I always recommend starting with AB CLIX.  Begin with level 1. Do the 4 exercises in level 1.  Advance to level 2.  Go back and master previous levels as you progress.

CLIX was designed by Dave Sindrey who is a well known listening therapist who published an awesome book entitled, Listening For Littles.  I have followed his listening ladder sequence with students successfully for years so I chose to use that skill sequence for my own aural rehab.

CLIX is the app that lets us easily do that. The listening hierarchy is built into CLIX so that makes our life simple.

After meeting with success on many CLIX levels, I recommend adding in Angel Sounds.  Worked wonderfully for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

I tried to, @Mary Beth, but when I put ABClix on my phone it wouldn't open correctly.  I could see that there was a sort of registration screen, but it was too large, I couldn't even fill in the fields, and it wouldn't let me reduce the size.  I deleted the app.

I may try again, but there was another guy on the Med-El forum on FB that had the same problem so I know it's not just me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Although the CLIX app says it works on iPhones, everyone I know who use it have it on iPads.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Although the CLIX app says it works on iPhones, everyone I know who use it have it on iPads.

I don't have an iPad though.  I have an iPhone.  I will admit to disliking the thing and would have an Android by choice but it's a company phone.  This is apps 101, they really ought to be able to get this right.

Image-1-1.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

We are an Apple household and love our iPhones, iPads, etc.  

I agree, AB should get their app updated.

Sorry you cannot access it.  The listening hierarchy it follows is wonderful.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I used Raz Kids online reading program in my early days.  What is cool is that as you listen, words are highlighted.  I started with the easiest level.  Listened and followed along with the highlighted words.  Then listened again without watching the words.

Many levels.

Free two week trial.  

https://www.raz-kids.com/

• HearPeers Heroes

I just learned about another app.  Has anyone here used Speech Banana?

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I have tried speech banana a number of times.  There were a lot of glitches.  Maybe it has improved since then.

• HearPeers Heroes

Some people like the Hear Coach app

• HearPeers Heroes

I just got Hear Coach on my phone, haven't tried it yet.  I can't get Speech Banana, so far it's iPad only.  But I emailed them and the guy who answered said the web app is being released this summer.  It's an entirely different platform, it may not have the glitches.

Or it may have glitches all its own, who knows?

• HearPeers Heroes

If you have a family member or friend willing to help with aural rehab.......

step 1 is recognizing how many syllables a word has.

so pick a topic and jump in 

colors: red, yellow, magenta

fruit: grape, apple, banana

animals: cat, hippo, elephant

It works like this.   You tell the helper the words to say and listen to them one at a time.  Then the helper says one of the words, and you listen for parts and repeat the word.  It doesn’t matter if it sounds like the word or not at this point.  You are training your brain.  Just listen to parts and use the closed set of three words to select the correct one.  No looking at the speaker.  He or she should sit on your implant side. In a quiet room.

This is level 1 of the listening ladder.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Here is the Listening Ladder I mentioned.  We skip level 1 with deafened adults so words different by number of syllable is level 1 in CLIX and CLIX has 9 levels.

BD64A3ED-ACF2-4E16-8D0B-4139B99334D5.jpeg

• Like 2