Sudden-Onset Frustration

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Sounds like the middle of nowhere and wonderful!!! Enjoy the peace and sounds of nature!!

• Like 1

And here I am reading all those comments which I expect to join soon!!! Monday is going to be my activation day mi friends. I will be in touch!!.

• HearPeers Heroes

Best wishes on your activation, @stranger!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry for the late reply @Megan L. my rehab is going well. I’m now enjoying audiobooks. I finished all of AB Clix and was bored of angel sounds. I love a good book! How are things with you? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like things are going great for your second side @Kara of Canada.  That’s terrific!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada 

Sounds like you are making good progress and all is going well! Ha, angel sounds is boring but helpful ? that’s wonderful you are moving on to audiobooks - much more exciting. 

I’m doing well, thank you for asking! I go for my yearly visit to the audiologist in July ? So that will be interesting as always! 

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree, Angel Sounds is boring but it does help.  @Kara of Canada, are you listening to audiobooks with the written copy in hand or can you hear the audiobook alone?  I don't think I could do that yet.  I'm planning on getting some for my vacation but want to get books that I have and can take with me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

If you have two mobile devices to use at the same time......maybe your phone and a family member’s phone etc......you can sign up for a free month trial of scribd and download the ebook on one device and the audiobook on the other device.  This way you can follow along on one device while listening on another device.  With scribd, you have the ability to slightly slow down the audiobook if you wish by selecting speed 0.8 instead of 1.0.  By downloading the ebook and audiobook, you can access them without the need for WiFi or cell coverage.

I fell in love with audiobooks after getting CIs and listen to them frequently, especially while driving.  I kept my scribd membership and have unlimited audiobooks, ebooks for $8.99/month.  Cancel whenever you wish.  It offers a much more extensive and available book selection than our public library.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a Kindle and my phone so I'll look into scribd, thanks, @Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I love scribd and it has saved me lots of money since I had been purchasing audiobooks before.  Smile.  And going through them quite rapidly.

One of my CI friends who is also an avid reader has fallen in love with scribd as well.  We exchange book recommendations each week!  Who would’ve ever thought I would love audiobooks?!  I used to drive in the car with the radio off during my HA days welcoming the silence.  Now I am addicted to sound!  Smile.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I play music on my commutes.  Before I was just cranking the volume way the heck up, but now I play it with my CI and it's part of my rehab!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds great @Mary Featherston!  I did that too for aural rehab in the early time.  Music and talk radio.  CI only.  It was fun rehab.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
8 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

I agree, Angel Sounds is boring but it does help.  @Kara of Canada, are you listening to audiobooks with the written copy in hand or can you hear the audiobook alone?  I don't think I could do that yet.  I'm planning on getting some for my vacation but want to get books that I have and can take with me.

The audiobooks I use have the hard copy there too. So I follow along. I can’t listen without true words either. I’m still wet behind the ears too! Lol 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Kara of Canada - I'll bookmark that and give it a try!

• HearPeers Heroes

Finished my first book with the new side. So amazing how it sounds! 

• Like 2

@Mary Featherston The biggest thing is to be patient with your own individual journey and persist with it.  When my first ear was activated I got beeps for all my tones for 2 weeks before the low tones started coming through after switch on.  It took another 2-3 weeks after that before all of my beeps were gone so I had half beeps and half sound - argh!!  I had been without high pitch for so long that it took the longest to convert so I understand your frustration Mary. My second ear has been activated since February this year and its only now that I can truly say I have harmony between my two ears so that was 3 months.  The results in the end are worth it so stick it out and you will get through this frustrating period.

• Like 3

@Leisa you are spot on!! What you just described is what I'm hearing at the moment, next Monday is going to be one week after activation. I'm getting part of the voices and the other part just hellium voices.

I'm not frustrated (yet) lol, I'm aware of the road ahead I have.

@Mary Featherston did you have a mapping this week if I'm not mistaken? How did it go?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I described the simultaneous perception of two different speech qualities like this...

I heard a robotic voice (kind of R2D2) and the person’s natural voice layered on top of each other.  Over time, the electronic voice started to peel away bit by bit.  In the end I only had natural voices.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Leisa - thank you, that's what I'm counting on.  My mapping on Wednesday was ... well, initially I thought it went really well, we managed to eliminate most of the whispery components of the voices.  I'd been hearing whispers, normal voices and beeps all overlying each other.  I heard my audiologist really clearly - her voice is fairly high-pitched and up till then it had been one of the whisperier ones.  (I know I'm making words up here, sorry, but I'm sure this group knows what I mean!)  The thing was, when I got to work, I realized that I was struggling more to hear most people.  I can still hear without my hearing aid, but it's much more of a struggle and yesterday I had a couple of people come from our corporate headquarters for a meeting with me and two others, and I ended up using my hearing aid so as not to be disruptive.

That was pretty disappointing, but I have no idea if it's normal.  I emailed my audiologist but it was Friday afternoon by then and I haven't heard back.  I will rehab like crazy this weekend - it's cool and rainy here so a perfect day for @Kara of Canada's web page that she shared.  And maybe it will start coming together like you all say.  Next Wednesday if four weeks post-activation and I'm trying not to be impatient.