Activation May 28

Daniel the Stranger

Thanks @Mary Beth, I'm going to comment this to my Audi next month that I have my appointment.

12 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

If thresholds are set too high, we may actually hear them and we are not supposed to hear them.

Hi @Mary Beth, this part got me thinking at work today. What happens if the threshold are set too high that we actually can hear them? It is like hearing too much? When I said that I keep hearing like an engine running even if no noise is inside my bedroom it is like if I'm hearing what? the air? do you have an explanation for this?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

If we hear our thresholds, it just means they are set too high.  Easy to fix.

We are not hearing air if we hear our thresholds.  We are hearing current delivered to our electrodes that is supposed to be too quiet for us to hear.  So the sound is generated from our CI.

For me, hearing thresholds sounds like a constant white noise.....like a fan in an air conditioner or a computer.

It is possible that the low bass sound you are hearing in your bedroom, is indeed an actual sound your CI is picking up.  If it was hearing your thresholds, it would happen in ALL quiet settings.  If this is just happening in one room when your processor is on, I would think it is a sound.  There is no way you are on MT and picking up electromagnetic interference from your telecoil right?

And this is happening with your processor on correct?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

If I misunderstood your original post and this is happening when your processor is OFF, it is probably a form of tinnitus.

My tinnitus was really strange when I removed my processor at night in the early days.  Everything has since quieted down.

@Mary Beth, I'm "hearing" noise with the processor on, not in Telecoil, it hasn't been activated yet.

Now I understand perfectly what you said, I'm going to pay attention to the sound in different parts of home mostly at night when the sound is quieter.. or try inside the audi's cubicle next time I go there.

Thank you for your explanation, it helped me a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hey @Daniel the Stranger

How are things going on your end? 

I couldn't read your post with the screenshot of your last journey update. Wanna try on my tablet. Where do I find that post? 

• Like 1

On 04/08/2018 at 1:00 PM, Jewel said:

Hey @Daniel the Stranger

How are things going on your end? 

I couldn't read your post with the screenshot of your last journey update. Wanna try on my tablet. Where do I find that post? 

Hi Jewel, everything is going well, thanks for asking. I'm hoping to have my second surgery by October. 

My post was on July 9, in my computer it says is in page 3. If you can't find it I can send it to you by email if you want.

Forums issues have put me off writing, nothing is being done about our complains.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

Happy that you're going bilateral. So many HPs starting their bilateral journey this year! Fantastic! 

I sent you a PM. 

I hope @MED-EL Moderatorwill give us an update soon as to what is being done to address the forum issues. I certainly miss your detailed updates about how your journey is progressing. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

Happy that you're going bilateral. So many HPs starting their bilateral journey this year! Fantastic! 

I sent you a PM. 

I hope @MED-EL Moderatorwill give us an update soon as to what is being done to address the forum issues. I certainly miss your detailed updates about how your journey is progressing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Day 88 August 27, 2018

Hi guys, I'm back after a long absence.

It seems that not much has happened since my last post, mostly due to laziness from my part. First the World Cup happened and as a good South American person, I enjoyed it a lot. Since matches here in Australia started about 10pm, instead of doing Rehab after GYM I spent my time watching Football (not soccer guys).

Then Figo happened. My wife and I decided to have a cat and I spent countless of time researching breeds and recommendations. After we got Figo I did not want to do Rehab after the GYM, I just wanted to spend time with Figo lol. To be honest, I just did a couple of AB clix Rehab but that was all.

Also I have been looking for some kind of Rehab similar to AB Clix or Angel Sounds but in Spanish. It seems there is none. It is frustrating, as I think my progress would be better measured in my native language since I'm still getting used to listen to the real sound of English language.

Today I was supposed to restart rehab but instead I decided to write this post lol.

In regards to my hearing, it gets more difficult to measure progress after a few mappings. At the beginning everything is amazing and then it is like you get used to it. Chewing is not uncomfortable anymore to cite an example.

I'm still a long way to go in regards to speech, but I also can say that I feel that my communication at work has improved a bit. I feel I can understand more when people talk to me. Again, it is very difficult to quantify but at the end of the day when you do a retrospective you can realise those small steps forward you still do everyday.

Same thing happens with music in Spanish: In some of the songs I'm starting to catch some words, sometimes sentences of what is being sung.

I also had some WOW moments, when we got Figo, I could hear for the first time a cat's purring. I did know that cats purr, but before I felt the purring, now I can hear it. Is amazing. I also could hear my cat breathing hard at times in his sleep on my lap.

At the office I can hear the computer fans when we turn them on. I couldn't before.

I hope tomorrow night to continue doing rehab and check my progress.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

I always enjoy reading your updates.

There are several forms of aural rehab.  There are the apps, websites, exercises with a live voice types of activities as well as the aural rehab opportunities that present themselves in our daily lives.  It seems like you have taken good advantage of those.  In the end, aural rehab is connecting meaning to sounds.  All forms of aural rehab benefit us.

Some suggestions for training in Spanish with your wife....

-have your wife read a Spanish news/sports article to you (you can follow along first, then have her re-read it while you are not following along)

-have your wife read a phrase at a time from a different article, and you repeat back.  If correct move onto a new phrase.  If incorrect, have your wife re-read it again with slight pauses before and after the words you missed.

-have your wife read random individual words from an article one at a time.  Repeat the words back.

The difficulty can be changed by....

-sitting next to each other with your wife on your CI side

- sitting 5 feet apart

-sitting across the room

Enjoy bonding with Figo!  Siamese cat?  They tend to be quite vocal.  Enjoy!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

So the World Cup mashed up your routine huh? Lol! The football games were carried live in Jamaica and were shown during business hours. We have a large screen TV in our department and let's just say that the department wasn't productive for that month! Fortunately my office wasn't in the main area with the TV. Although they turned the volume up high I never heard a sound even when sitting right in front of the TV. Hoping that will change when I bet my CI. Jamaicans love football! I'm sure the crime level fell during the World Cup. Were you able to hear the commentators with your CI? 

I am surprised that they don't have these aural rehab apps in Spanish. You should bring it to AB's attention. 

I look forward to reading your future updates! How many mappings have you done so far? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger I say the World Cup *was* rehab.  You heard the commentators, right?   ?

And I love hearing my cat purr!  I'm glad you got Figo, he's a handsome cat.  ?

@Jewel, I have done 4 mappings so far. This one is going to be the longest (2 months). 

@Mary Featherston, I couldn't hear the commentators as I would have liked, matches were very late here when my wife was already sleeping and ours is a small apartment lol. I had to refrain of celebrating Colombia's goals lol.

@Mary Beth, very good ideas, I definitely didn't think about practising with my wife. thanks. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had my second surgery on my left ear on October 10. Surgery started about 11 am and by 3 pm I was awake. This second time has been a breeze for me, I'm not feeling pain, and I didn't have to take painkillers at the hospital since I have been awake. My ear feels a lot less sore than the first time and I also don't feel the swelling like the first time.

I just got home the next day about noon as I had to wait for the X Ray to confirm that the electrodes were in place and in fact, they were. This time I didn't get the copy of the X Ray as my doctor was in another part of the hospital, he just gave the order for discharge.

I did see the doctor this morning about 10 am and he was pleased with the surgery.

Doctor was very neat as usual, bandage was very well fit into my head and stitches also look good. Here a look at the result after bandage off:

IMG_20181011_163938.jpg

One thing I could notice is that it seems I got my residual hearing in this side. When I remove my right processor I can hear my voice in my newly implanted ear but not in the first implanted ear. It sounded cool.

I can't believe how well I'm feeling to be honest, I took a week off but I'm thinking seriously on coming back to work next Monday. I don't have any balance issues and I already drove my car.

Now the wait begins for activation in 2 weeks time.
  • Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great news, @Daniel the Stranger !   Activation day will be here before you know it.  I'll be really interested to hear how that goes.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Seems like you have a great surgeon @Daniel the Stranger! When will the tapes be removed? Two weeks will pass so quickly. Are you getting the same colour processor as the the other side? 

• Like 1

@Jewel tapes will be removed next Wednesday but I doubt it will hold until then. they have started falling off a bit more today after I showered. Yes. I'm getting same colour for my next processor, I'm very classic with colours and designs lol. 

@Jewel lol, I have never used a shower cap in my life... it would certainly made me remember my grandmother lol. But doctor said it was ok if tape started falling down, so no problems here. Thanks for your suggestion anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...

Activation of Left CI and 5 months since Right CI Activation:

Hi guys, yesterday I had my second activation and everything went well. But I must start back to before second surgery when I had my first hearing tests in my right ear (first CI) 4 months after activation.

Here we have the results:

CNC Words (Consonant - Vowel Nucleus - Consonant) at 65dBSPL with CI alone: 49% in phoneme score and 18% in full word score. It appears to be low but if we consider that I could not perform this test at all prior to CI is a good improvement. I went from 0% to 49%  and 18% respectively which is good. Remember that English is my second language, hence the different results to most of people here in the forum.

CUNY Sentences at 65dBSPL with CI Alone: 35%, as mentioned before, I also went from 0% to 35% in 4 months after activation. I could not perform this test before CI activation. Using bilateral Hearing Aids I scored 13% with no visual help and 60% with visual help.

She also performed some tests in Spanish as it is my native language, I asked her to do this for me to have a real measure of my improvement. Unfortunately these tests were not performed before CI activation. My wife helped with these tests as my Audi does not speak Spanish.

SPIN Sentences in Spanish at 65dBSPL: with CI Alone in quiet the score was 63%. With CI plus visual help my score was 100%. With CI alone in noise I scored 47%.

She also tested my a conversation in Spanish over the phone with my wife and I scored 80%.

Last but not least, audiogram showed a lot of improvement before and after CI:

audiogram-comparison.png

Not bad eh?

I’m still yet to do Rehab, since we welcomed Figo into our home it has been hard to resist spending time with him once I’m home. Let’s see if this will change once he gets older or when I do my first rehab for my new CI.

Yesterday I had my second activation, I was excited but of course not as excited like the first time 5 months ago. Electrodes were tested and everything was ok. Mapping went well and compared to the first time, It felt like I pushed the limits a little bit but that wasn’t the case as this time I did know what to expect. Very happy that this time not one but 2 company representatives were with us in the room.

I got the ComPilot which I used a lot when I had my Has. Not planning on using it soon as I remove my “Old”processor once I leave work until I go to bed.

Sounds are a bit similar than the first activation but this time I feel that I’m a step up compared to the first time as I can recognise voices and some of the songs since activation day.

Do not think for a moment that sounds are clear, they are scratchy and high pitched at the same time but in between I can also hear the real sound coming into my CI which is good. My next appointment will be next Monday, I have like 4 more appointments until the first week of December to make sure all is good for the Holyday season.

Let’s see how things will go with my new CI in the next days. I will keep you posted.