WOW moments from CI users of over 2 years

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi!

It has been so exciting reading the WOW moments from our newly activated HP members.  It reminds me of how much changes so quickly after activation.  A fun fun time of discovery indeed!

Although many professionals state that CI listening improvement occurs over the first year of use, as CI users we know that there are improvements well after that first year point.  A study I read followed CI users for 5 or 8 years (I can not recall) and found listening improvement over the course of the entire study.  Which led the researchers to state that listening improvements continue (albeit at a slower rate) for at least as long as their study.  Smile.

So I am reaching out to our HP CI users who have been activated for at least 2 years.  What listening improvements did you experience after the one year mark?

• HearPeers Heroes

My right side has been activated for 3 years, 2 months and my left side has been activated for 2 years, 6 months.

I am still noticing listening improvements.

The areas that changed for me after the one year mark include....

-musical pitch (so much better!)

-quality of voices and music

-listening in more challenging environments

-understanding a wider variety of accents easier

-ease of conversing from greater distances (one floor to the other, one room to another)

-the general ease of listening 

-improved ability to pinpoint the location of sounds

Here is an example.  This week I have been jamming to the car radio with both windows down!  Fabulous!  And definitely something I was not doing at the end of year one.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

For me the birds seem clearer and clearer after each mapping. Then music and voices are continually improving. Yes different accents continue to improve. No hololocation (ability to know where a sound is coming from)  as of yet. It is somewhat there. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

You are early on your bilateral journey.  I bet locating sounds will come in time after you are stable on your new side.  It is crazy fun!

• HearPeers Heroes

It is always so much better. Even though it’s early. The only down side right now is that I’m so unbalanced sound wise which I know will improve with rehab and time. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes that unbalanced period while the second side is being brought up to speed is tiring,  Hang in there.  The rewards when you reach balanced are so worth it!

• Like 1