Probably a dumb question, but: neckloop

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth : I just got my neckloop out (Artone 3) and am charging it up for the first time.  The Bluetooth pairing with the phone looks straighforward, but how does it communicate to the CI?

@Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

The Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop is BlueTooth from sound source to neckloop and then telecoil from neckloop to processor.  So your processsor needs to be in MT for mix or T for sound source only.

Did you receive a Roger 21 and Roger Pen with your Sonnet?  For that you stay in M.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, thank you, @Mary Beth, that makes sense.  I'll have to remember my remote!  I do have a Roger pen but haven't started using it.  I think I will soon, though, I'm getting better sound and can start getting some benefit from it.

Interestingly, for all the goodies I got in my kit, a direct connect cable wasn't one of them.  I'll have to ask my audiologist about it next time I go.

• HearPeers Heroes

When Med-El USA began offering the Roger Pen and Roger receiver, that replaced the FM battery cover and the DAI cable I believe.  I do not find the DAI cable useful.  It is too stiff and pulls the processor off of my ear.  Some people like them.

You can purchase a FM Sonnet battery cover and DAI cable from your Med-El CSR if you want them.

It’s a good idea to check with your audiologist though because kit items change all of the time.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, this neckloop is excellent.  Clear, and lots of volume.  Thanks for the recommendation, @Mary Beth!

• HearPeers Heroes

My favorite BT neckloop!

Hi @Mary Beth,

I see you like the Airtone 3 Max BT. Have you compared it to the Clearsounds Quattro 4L? I think that's the one being promoted by Med-El.

Thanks, Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

@DaveD

Med-El includes the Artone 3 MAX in some activation kits in some countries.  They used to include the Quattro4 in activation kits in the US, but no longer do that.

I have used both the Quattro 4 and the Artone 3 MAX.  For me the Artone 3 MAX wins hands down.  I have purchased extra Artone 3 MAX BT neckloops for long audiobook listening days and have donated both of my Quattro 4 loops to other users.

If you can, test them both out and see which works best for you.

@Mary Beth

Thanks for pointing me to your review. I also appreciate your replies to my previous questions regarding my Siemens EasyTek streamer that I use for my HAs. I've ordered the Artone 3 Max and should be getting in in a day or two from Amazon. I'll be checking into getting my remaining HA configured for telecoil so the Artone can stream to both CI and HA. 

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks, Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

I look forward to reading your feedback on the Artone 3 MAX @DaveD.

For BT headphones, I LOVE BOSE QC35. Awesome for music!  

Neckloops are the most comfortable thing I have found since I have HAs. they are so good that I'm to lazy to have the phone in my hand to have a conversation, I use the neckloop instead. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I find the Artone 3 MAX great.  I don’t use it for the phone, but I can.  The drawbacks with using a neckloop or the Roger System with music include

-stereo sound is merged into one monaural signal (headphones retain true left and right audio outputs)

-both neckloops and Roger reduce the frequency range

I've become very dependent on my Siemens EasyTek neckloop. It works great with the phone and streams from a Siemens BT transmitter from the TV. I'd like to stream music but most music isn't very enjoyable. Too distorted with the HAs. Hopefully the CI and the Artone 3 MAX will restore some pleasurable music. I'm thinking I might need a few more mapping sessions and/or getting the brain retrained before music is back.

Amazon says I'l be getting today the Artone neckloop and the BT adapter you recommended @Mary Beth. I'll let you know how that works out. I'm also seeing my HA audi tomorrow to see about turning on T-coil on my remaining HA. Hopefully that won't disable the EasyTek!

• Like 2

@Mary Beth, @Daniel the Stranger, @Mary Featherston

Just got the Artone 3 MAX neckloop and so far it seems to work ok with my Siemens HA and the CI. The HA seems to have an intermittent problem where it doesn't want to connect right away. It almost acts like a loose connection. I can touch or wiggle the HA and then it comes to life with the T-Coil. I did have to visit my HA audi to get the T-Coil enabled. Definitely not as convenient as the Siemens EasyTek. I have to set the HA program to T-Coil (separate programs for with and without mics) and use the Med-El Fine Tuner to set the CI to one of the T-Coil modes. Once it's set right, the phone streams beautifully to both ears. Phone calls are fine but music is still not wonderful. I'm waiting to set up the Avantree BT transmitter. I received the one that requires USB connection but I decided to get the over model that also has the internal battery. There are times when I think I'd like to have portable connection to BT. For example, my church has a FM system with receivers that have an output for headphones. I can just plug the BT transmitter into the headphone jack and hear the service. At least, that's how I've been doing it with the EasyTek. I'll see on Sunday if my plan works out!

Does anyone know if CI battery life suffers from leaving T-coil enabled full time? It would be convenient to leave it on T-Coil with mics but not if battery life takes a big hit. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@DaveD

Great you are experimenting.  I look forward to reading your updates.

Telecoil is not really a connection, unlike streaming.  Setting the HA to T should pick up the sound being sent from the loop right away.  There should not be any delay.

Med-El says that telecoil has a low impact on battery life.

Staying in MT all of the time will not be a battery life issue.  It will be a sound quality issue.  With the telecoil active you will encounter EMI (electromagnetic interference) from various things.....power lines, microwaves, dryers, some wiring in walls at work or school, your car’s electronic system, etc.  I would not want to encounter all of that when I am not using the telecoil.  So for me, I switch to T (you can use MT) when streaming audiobooks etc and then switch back to M.  It does require the Fine Tuner to switch into MT or T.  You can switch back to M without the Fine Tuner if needed by shutting the processors off and then back on again.  They always start up in M.

• HearPeers Heroes

@DaveD

By the way, I decked out my Fine Tuner in SkinIt covers.  They look really cool and have been used for 3 years and still look brand new.  The SkinIt covers for Med-El come in packages for Sonnet, Rondo, Opus 2.  Each pack includes the Fine Tuner covers.  I decked out my Fine Tuners and passed the processor SkinIt covers onto others to use.  Just FYI in case you would prefer a cool looking Fine Tuner.

• HearPeers Heroes

We have another forum with this dialogue as well. I’ll post mine again. 11CD0365-E9DA-4AAE-BF78-1D9CF1D9876B.jpeg

4ED25C68-06BA-41A2-A651-71B299146241.jpeg

@Kara of Canada, Wow! Those are fantastic covers. I might take a closer look at the web page and see about dressing up my stuff, too!

@Mary Beth, Thanks for the link for the skins. I may be looking at non-drab options!

BTW, the jury is still out on the Artone 3 MAX and the Avantree BT transmitter. I did get the Avantree device with the rechargeable battery but haven't had a chance to check it out on battery power alone. For the TV, it seems to work identical as the USB powered version. Either device has minimal lag from TV. Certainly not enough lag to make it disruptive for watching TV.

I have been struggling with battery life on the neckloop. With the neckloop paired to my phone for a few hours with intermittent phone and YouTube use, there doesn't seem to be enough battery life to support a movie streaming from the TV. The neckloop gives up about half-way through the movie. Kind of a bummer. Not sure if just being paired to the phone counts as standby (while not on a phone call or streaming) or streaming. I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere near the 3-4 hours of streaming use. Email and voicemail to Artone about battery life have so far elicited no response. I did determine that the neckloop can stay on charge while being paired to the phone and it works normally. The next time I sit down for a movie I think I'll run an extension cord and USB power source to the easy chair!

@Kara of Canada, Wow! Those are fantastic covers. I might take a closer look at the web page and see about dressing up my stuff, too!

@Mary Beth, Thanks for the link for the skins. I may be looking at non-drab options!

BTW, the jury is still out on the Artone 3 MAX and the Avantree BT transmitter. I did get the Avantree device with the rechargeable battery but haven't had a chance to check it out on battery power alone. For the TV, it seems to work identical as the USB powered version. Either device has minimal lag from TV. Certainly not enough lag to make it disruptive for watching TV.

I have been struggling with battery life on the neckloop. With the neckloop paired to my phone for a few hours with intermittent phone and YouTube use, there doesn't seem to be enough battery life to support a movie streaming from the TV. The neckloop gives up about half-way through the movie. Kind of a bummer. Not sure if just being paired to the phone counts as standby (while not on a phone call or streaming) or streaming. I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere near the 3-4 hours of streaming use. Email and voicemail to Artone about battery life have so far elicited no response. I did determine that the neckloop can stay on charge while being paired to the phone and it works normally. The next time I sit down for a movie I think I'll run an extension cord and USB power source to the easy chair!