Jump to content

Cochlear implants and Airport security (arc, x-ray scanner)


Recommended Posts

  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi there,

Some days ago I read about an article where the author talk about some tips during travel with CI. It called attention for me the issue related with airports and CI, (5º pparagraph).

I had understood that CI musn't pass under body arc scanner and processor must to be in hand bag, however this article explain it something different and I think he have right (specially related to X-ray and processor mic damage. What do you think about it?

https://www.explore-life.com/en/articles/travels-with-an-implant?utm_source=corporate-facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Valentin

I have flown many times with my CIs without any issues.  No one has ever needed to see the patient identification card.  I have never had a problem with the scanners.  I keep my processors on (in M) and have never heard any beeps nor buzzing.

 

I keep ALL of my CI items I my backpack, which is with me at all times.  

 

Are you planninga fun trip?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

This is a great news. And could the processor lose the configuration depending the "power"  of the arc? I read this in a  website some months ago.

I supposed that backpack passed through x-ray scanner, but these have no problems.

About the trip, perhaps in Christmas :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Hi @Valentin

I read a Med-El article earlier this week which recommended that if we are travelling with a spare processor to put it in a fabric bag so that when it goes through the scanner for carry on luggage there will be no static and nothing will be damaged.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

I've flown a lot since I was implanted both domestic and international with many different airlines. I've been through all the scanners and security checks and have never had a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Matt

 

Taking any big bike trips this year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I confirm that this week, i had two flights. I passed between airport arcs without problem. Processor on, no noise, and no buzzing and the alarm don't triggered.

Jewel, I read the small bag of processor if security request pass it  through x-ray. Is it the small box where the processor come in

 

IMG_20180630_164126.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just flew with my daughter out of country. She wore her CI the entire time during security and xray. I also had her extra accessories in my carry on.... we had no problem :) HAPPY AND SAFE TRAVELS!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

That is terrific @Julesrdh!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
On 30/06/2018 at 10:47 AM, Valentin said:

I confirm that this week, i had two flights. I passed between airport arcs without problem. Processor on, no noise, and no buzzing and the alarm don't triggered.

Jewel, I read the small bag of processor if security request pass it  through x-ray. Is it the small box where the processor come in

 

IMG_20180630_164126.jpg

Hi @Valentin. I'm not sure. As long as the box has no plastic so as to transmit static, it may be fine. All I remember reading is that the processor should be in a fabric bag. Maybe @Mary Bethcan enlighten us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

I keep my backup processor in the travel case Med-El provided in the kit.  Works great.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

My experience after the trip with CI.

Airports: 6 (three for go / Three for come from). with 0 issues.

Although I read comments, blog posts and opinion I had some concern, especially at USA airports. I had passed through security arc locally in other times, but for any reason this time when the  staff of  security look to me and I pointed to Rondo directly offer to me avoid the arc. They did a personal check-up, and We continue the trip. At Miami airport, the staff at the security staff, ask to other agent (I suppose someone with more range), and I passed out of the arc with a personal check- up again.

With this experience I we can check that in more and more airports, have knowledge about the device.  MED EL cochlear implant are compatible with arc, but I know thatother brands could have issues when pass through it.

At plane, with more than 10 hours of each route, sincerely I urn down the volume.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On my trip to New Zealand last December, the guy at Melbourne Airport took me to a new machine similar to the metal detector, he told me that was a new machine for people with Heart Pacemakers and Cochlear Implants. There were not interference at all once in that machine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
2 hours ago, Valentin said:

My experience after the trip with CI.

Airports: 6 (three for go / Three for come from). with 0 issues.

Although I read comments, blog posts and opinion I had some concern, especially at USA airports. I had passed through security arc locally in other times, but for any reason this time when the  staff of  security look to me and I pointed to Rondo directly offer to me avoid the arc. They did a personal check-up, and We continue the trip. At Miami airport, the staff at the security staff, ask to other agent (I suppose someone with more range), and I passed out of the arc with a personal check- up again.

With this experience I we can check that in more and more airports, have knowledge about the device.  MED EL cochlear implant are compatible with arc, but I know thatother brands could have issues when pass through it.

At plane, with more than 10 hours of each route, sincerely I urn down the volume.

@Valentin

What's an arc? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jewel said:

@Valentin

What's an arc? 

I think he is talking about walking-through metal detectors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel, as Daniel comment, the metal detector where you walk through. There are some ways to say it. Sincerely, I don't know what is the best word or expression to refer it.

 

 

 

Walk-Through-Metal-Detector-Arch-Metal-Detector-Scanner.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Thanks @Valentin

When I travel through Miami they make me go through either machine, that is, the metal detector and the body scanner. I've never heard a buzz and nothing seems to go off as they don't use the wand on me afterwards. But I do switch to the program that I use the least in case the machine corrupts my map. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

I think this is the problem at first, The map could be corrupted. If you are near your audi center you could solve it in some time, but if you are traveling overseas the experience may not be nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 6/15/2018 at 5:00 PM, Valentin said:

Hi there,

Some days ago I read about an article where the author talk about some tips during travel with CI. It called attention for me the issue related with airports and CI, (5º pparagraph).

I had understood that CI musn't pass under body arc scanner and processor must to be in hand bag, however this article explain it something different and I think he have right (specially related to X-ray and processor mic damage. What do you think about it?

https://www.explore-life.com/en/articles/travels-with-an-implant?utm_source=corporate-facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article

 

I traveled domestic USA wearing my CIs and go thru Body scanners and pass by Xray machines without any problem-ever

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

I know that MED EL implant (at least the  newest), we have no issue, but probably not other brands support it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Okay, I admit I am intimidated by my fine tuner. I don’t understand which or what I am suppose to use when. 

@Jewel said she switches to program she uses the least. How do I know?

@Mary Beth said she keeps it on M. Why? I understand it is the microphone. 

I guess I’m a bit confused. Can anyone enlighten me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

@DarlaHS

Has your audi given you different programs? Do you use the fine tuner keys with the dots? I'm saying there is one programs which is accessed via one of the keys with the dots that I hardly use so when I go through the body scanner I select that program by pressing on the dotted key on the fine tuner that is assigned to that program. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

I just stay in my regular program and go through the scanners.  I have flown many times with my CIs and have never had a problem with the airport scanners.

 

A few people keep their processors on MT all of the time.  Usually because they are using a neckloop throughout their day.  For those people, switching to M before going through the scanners is wise.  Otherwise they will hear loud buzzing from the telecoil interference.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a neck loop for my Rondos. On the plane I will be wearing my sonnets. I don’t use the roger pen as I find it easier to hold phone to microphone on ear piece. Do I need to set the fine tuner on M?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

no.  Every time we turn on a processor, the processor (Sonnet or Rondo) always defaults to M.  So if you have not changed that after turning on your Sonnets, you will already be in M.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...