Setting a Date

Emily C.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - I don't know yet, it depends on how scheduled up Dr Huang is.  Right now I'm three months from the first surgery, but I'm quite certain it will be a while yet - I mainly wanted to get it scheduled because she DOES get so busy.

But to be honest, if they offered my August it wouldn't scare me at all.  I'm fully recovered from the first and rehab is going well.  This last week I've been really happy with what I'm hearing.  So bring it on!  B)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - I don't know yet, it depends on how scheduled up Dr Huang is.  Right now I'm three months from the first surgery, but I'm quite certain it will be a while yet - I mainly wanted to get it scheduled because she DOES get so busy.

But to be honest, if they offered my August it wouldn't scare me at all.  I'm fully recovered from the first and rehab is going well.  This last week I've been really happy with what I'm hearing.  So bring it on!  B)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - I don't know yet how far apart they'll be.  My surgeon tends to be booked up, which is one reason I wanted to start scheduling now.

But honestly, I'm fully recovered and rehab is going well.  If they offer me August I'll jump at it.

(And I just tried to post this a minute ago and it failed completely, got the Gateway timeout but without the usual double post)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - I don't know yet how far apart they'll be.  My surgeon tends to be booked up, which is one reason I wanted to start scheduling now.

But honestly, I'm fully recovered and rehab is going well.  If they offer me August I'll jump at it.

(And I just tried to post this a minute ago and it failed completely, got the Gateway timeout but without the usual double post)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah these forum tech problems are a real bother and have been going on for a long time now.  Sigh.

I am happy you are in such a good place.  The three month mark was a good place for me too.  That’s when I started talking about going bilateral.  We discussed it at my 6 month appt and then I was put on the surgery schedule.  My sides are 8 months apart.  Excellent to be bilateral.  I hope you love it as much as I do.

@Mary Featherston

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - I can tell already.  I'm feeling unbalanced with just one!  And things have been really coming together with the rehab so I'm pretty happy about it all.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - I can tell already.  I'm feeling unbalanced with just one!  And things have been really coming together with the rehab so I'm pretty happy about it all.

@Mary Beth, you think going bilateral can help speedup Rehab in the already implanted ear? I'm thinking of going my other ear in about 2 months.

• HearPeers Heroes

Nice to hear from you @Daniel the Stranger.

The best way to speed up aural rehab is dedicated listening, aural rehab activities aimed specifically to improve what you are hoping to improve and time in my opinion.

People who get simultaneous bilateral CIs rehab both sides together right from day 1.  When we get sequential CIs, we need to do some dedicated rehab with each side alone and also with them both together until the second side catches up to the first side.  Then you may just do bilateral rehab if you wish.  I chose to continue separate aural rehab even after the sides caught up but spent more time doing bilateral rehab than separate rehab.  Except for music.  I ALWAYS train music bilaterally since I always listen to music bilaterally.  Smile.  And bilateral musical pitch perception is the pitch perception I want to train.

Each of my sides took different journeys.  Really different.  Right from activation.  But the second side caught up to the first side quickly and by 4 months it was blissfully balanced and that is when all the bilateral fun really began.  

When do you see your surgeon about scheduling your second side?

• Like 1

Huh.... okay.   So I'm just basically hearing 'slightly different/personal preference, but both good'.  What I thought.  But liked your comments about what liked, implant placement, etc.  Like I said, it might be a moot point, if I fall into the ability to get a Sonnet, with a Rondo voucher!

So, thanks.  Oiiii...  just waiting for August to come, now! (and partly to be over with, too, with the back-to-school rush!)  Anyone else have some 'caution' about the new Rondo right away?  I mean, this might be cliche, and it sounds like Med-El is super careful and stands behind their stuff and quality (not to mention we are talking about devices far more complex than a computer, but you often hear about electronic devices needing the 'bugs' worked out after they're first released.

10 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

When do you see your surgeon about scheduling your second side?

I'm not seeing my surgeon yet, he is aware of my wish for a second implant and soon surgery but we agreed that I had to agree with my audi first depending on my progress with my current CI. I have an appointment with my Audi beginning of August. My surgeon is only waiting for approval from my Audi.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

One thing you can definitely count on in your CI journey......it will be unique.  What works best for you, regarding MAP settings/processor style/mic settings/assistive tech/etc.....may not be the same as for others.  Trust your own instincts and embrace your unique journey.  And I hope you share it with us here.  Smile.

I had a chance to talk with someone who is already using Rondo 2.  This user LOVES the Rondo 2.  No problems at all.

I think both processors are quality processors.  It’s like two different versions of Subaru cars.  Both great cars.  Different people prefer different models.  The processors are communicating with the same awesome Med-El internal CI components and share the same speech processing strategies (FS4, FS4p, FS.....).  In this way, they are more similar than different in my opinion.

I have friends who prefer the one unit Rondo version even though they also have the BTE versions (Sonnets or Opus 2).  It is not because they wish to hide their processors (although I do not think there is anything wrong with people who prefer to hide their processors), but because they find the one unit processors more comfortable and a better fit for their lifestyle.

I hear great with my Rondos and with my BTE processors.

The wait is difficult. I remember it well.  Smile.  August is almost here.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I experienced that unbalanced with one CI feeling too.  Once my first CI was performing well, the HA was just my own personal noise maker.  I stopped using it completely as I functioned better with just my one CI.  That was a clear sign that I was ready for CI number 2.  When I began my journey, even though both of my ears qualified for CIs right from the start, I only planned on getting one CI.  But after receiving the CI and seeing how awesome it was to hear with a CI, I soon wanted a second CI.  Smile.  On the morning of my second CI surgery, I popped out of bed singing happy birthday to my new ear.  I was so excited.  I have never once regretted my decision.  This is BY FAR the best hearing I have had in several decades.  Amazing.  And I am very thankful everyday for this gift.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I experienced that unbalanced with one CI feeling too.  Once my first CI was performing well, the HA was just my own personal noise maker.  I stopped using it completely as I functioned better with just my one CI.  That was a clear sign that I was ready for CI number 2.  When I began my journey, even though both of my ears qualified for CIs right from the start, I only planned on getting one CI.  But after receiving the CI and seeing how awesome it was to hear with a CI, I soon wanted a second CI.  Smile.  On the morning of my second CI surgery, I popped out of bed singing happy birthday to my new ear.  I was so excited.  I have never once regretted my decision.  This is BY FAR the best hearing I have had in several decades.  Amazing.  And I am very thankful everyday for this gift.

Huh... okay...  again neat hearing all your comments about.  And this isn't the first time I've seen people comment about eventually abandoning their aid!  Just kind of 'huh' at that... both that the CI gets so good in that regard, and that they don't care to keep 'surround sound' since it probably fills in for both sides by that point (and/or the sound quality is just so different for them)...  *shrug*

I guess I'll talk about it with him when I go in.  Thanks.

@Mary Beth

Lol!!  My son's?  No kids here... it's just me!   :lol:   :lol:

(just seeing what it's like for other users before I talk to him.  but thanks. ;) )

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C. so sorry.  I thought it was a different topic where a parent is discussing things.  Sorry.

What color processor are you choosing? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C. so sorry.  I thought it was a different topic where a parent is discussing things.  Sorry.

What color processor are you choosing? 

Ha!  Figured.  And honestly?  Haven't thought that hard about it... I see people having fun with it, and can appreciate that, but I'm just not the flashy/blingy type.  Probably just dark brown, to match my hair.  Can always get skins for it later, once I'm used to.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

My thoughts exactly.  And both Rondo 2 and Sonnets need to have mic covers swapped every three months so lots of opportunities to change things up if you wish.  Sonnet DL-coil covers also come in lots of choices.

• HearPeers Heroes
13 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

@Mary Beth - I haven't used my hearing aid in - wow, I'd have to think.  Four weeks?  My audiologist wants me to bring it to my next mapping so we can repeat my original hearing test (because of the second surgery) and then compare that to how I do with the CI.  And, @Daniel the Stranger - I had the same thing, the surgeon lets the audiologist guide the process.  Last visit, the audi asked me, So, do you think you're ready for your next surgery?  We agreed I was, so she spoke to Dr. H.  I'm really liking the clinic I go to.

• HearPeers Heroes
13 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

@Mary Beth - I haven't used my hearing aid in - wow, I'd have to think.  Four weeks?  My audiologist wants me to bring it to my next mapping so we can repeat my original hearing test (because of the second surgery) and then compare that to how I do with the CI.  And, @Daniel the Stranger - I had the same thing, the surgeon lets the audiologist guide the process.  Last visit, the audi asked me, So, do you think you're ready for your next surgery?  We agreed I was, so she spoke to Dr. H.  I'm really liking the clinic I go to.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Liking the CI center you go to is huge.  Those of us who are fortunate to have found a great match are very lucky.  It makes the entire CI process so much better.

How far away is your CI center?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
10 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Liking the CI center you go to is huge.  Those of us who are fortunate to have found a great match are very lucky.  It makes the entire CI process so much better.

How far away is your CI center?

@Mary Beth - the clinic is in a medical center of the University of Minnesota campus (Minneapolis campus, I should say).  From my house that's about 28 miles but the only time I went there from home was surgery day.  Usually l go from work, which is less.  Maybe 15 miles.

It's pretty easy to get to.  There is a huge insufficiency of parking on the U of M campus (been true forever, I had trouble when I was an undergrad there) but the medical center has valet parking so there's nothing to worry about.