Happy longtime bimodal users (1 CI and 1 HA)

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Do we have any happy longtime bimodal members of HPs? (1 CI and 1 HA)

• HearPeers Heroes

@hadron

Are you aware of any good links for bimodal users?  Research?

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Sorry for late post. I have always liked the article by Boys Town National Reseach Hospital. Provides links to research papers

https://www.boystownhospital.org/knowledgeCenter/articles/Pages/IsTwoBetterThanOne.aspx

• Like 2

Mary Beth,

I am a happy Bimodal member. 

A CI in one ear and a hearing aid  in the other ear makes a  huge difference in my ability to hear and follow conversations.

Mary Beth,

I am a happy Bimodal member. 

A CI in one ear and a hearing aid  in the other ear makes a  huge difference in my ability to hear and follow conversations.

• HearPeers Heroes

Terrific @TKD.  Want to tell us your CI story?

Yes, I’ll share a little background about myself. I’ve had lifelong hearing loss - since birth. Both ears qualified for CIs. Implanted the right ear that never really wore a hearing aid. Hearing aid in that ear didn’t help much and was validated in the audiogram. Mostly because I had a reverse slope hearing loss in that ear. I acoustically could hear chirping birds, “S” and “Sh” sounds in speech. In my mind the left ear (the hearing aid ear) is the dominant ear for piecing together conversations  even though I have more hearing loss in that ear.

Implanted with flex array 24 in the right ear  to preserve residual hearing , the high pitches. Two years later I still have some residual hearing in that ear. I can hear running water from a faucet  and a loud alarm clock as long it’s close to me as well as  some other sounds.

Wearing both a CI and hearing aid makes a huge difference in my ability to hear, follow conversations.

Yes, I’ll share a little background about myself. I’ve had lifelong hearing loss - since birth. Both ears qualified for CIs. Implanted the right ear that never really wore a hearing aid. Hearing aid in that ear didn’t help much and was validated in the audiogram. Mostly because I had a reverse slope hearing loss in that ear. I acoustically could hear chirping birds, “S” and “Sh” sounds in speech. In my mind the left ear (the hearing aid ear) is the dominant ear for piecing together conversations  even though I have more hearing loss in that ear.

Implanted with flex array 24 in the right ear  to preserve residual hearing , the high pitches. Two years later I still have some residual hearing in that ear. I can hear running water from a faucet  and a loud alarm clock as long it’s close to me as well as  some other sounds.

Wearing both a CI and hearing aid makes a huge difference in my ability to hear, follow conversations.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @TKD

I am glad being bimodal is working out so well for you!