Hello from Central Texas!

mslacy2015

Hi, I just had my first CI surgery last Thursday in Dallas, TX.  So far so good. I was born deaf but was able to function as a hard of hearing person most of my life with help of my hearing aid. But the last 20  years, my ear has gotten progressively worse year after year.  Thus the reason for having the CI surgery done on my ear.  

Was able to take off headband and ear cover yesterday. Feels so much better without the headband and ear cover. Today I removed the band-aid that covered the incision behind my ear and took a nice warm shower this morning. Tapering off the pain meds and hope to only need ibuprofen by tomorrow night.

Saw my incision in the back of my ear, using the mirror and taking a photo shot of it. The stitches are longer than I thought it would be. So the back of my head is still sensitive, still has tingles along the side and my ear is numb. But I know the stitches will be fine as it is in the crease between my head and ear.  However, my ear sticks out a little further than usual, but I was told that is usual and after a few weeks, the swelling and the ear will move back to the normal position. Keeping fingers crossed.

Am reading through the Med-EL Candidate Booklet and “Getting Connected” brochure. Feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the terminology used in the materials, the different accessories available for he Sonnet and not sure how all of this works. So much to learn and to process. 

I also, signed up for Med-EL’s Hands on Hearing workshop that I just learned will be held in August in DFW area. Hopefully, this workshop will give me a better understanding of all the accessories and how to make better use my new Cochlear Implant. 

In a week, I will be activated and look forward to this visit. So just wanted to say am glad to join this forum. I want to help new candidates as the others bloggers have helped me get ready for my surgery. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @mslacy2015 !  You're correct, your ear will sit back down and the numbness will subside.  Your audiologist will help you with all the techy bits, don't worry!  Good luck to you.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @mslacy2015 !  You're correct, your ear will sit back down and the numbness will subside.  Your audiologist will help you with all the techy bits, don't worry!  Good luck to you.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@mslacy2015

Congratulations!  How exciting!

My ear stuck out after my first surgery but I over time it relaxed back to its regular place.  Ear numbness happens to many of us and mine went away rather quickly.  It’s weird to touch the top of your ear when it is numb and not feel anything right?  Smile.

You are going to LOVE the Hands On Hearing workshop that Jeff Campagna and his team put on.  It’s great that one is happening so soon after your activation!  Lots of great help at those workshops.  I wish more were offered in all regions.  

Did you choose Sonnet?  And also receive the Plus Rondo 2 voucher?  

At first it does seem overwhelming with all the tech and processor info to learn but it really is going to be fine.  You will learn the most important things first and then more will come in time.  We are a friendly bunch and always willing to help answer questions.

Rest easy.  And welcome!

@mslacy2015Congratulations!!! I cannot wait to get mine the end of this month. I cant wait to follow your journey. there are some great people here on the forums!!! ?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@mslacy2015

Did you get to attend the Hands On Hearing workshop in Texas yesterday?  What did you think?