Microphone cover

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

Sonnet users:  is there a characteristic change to what you hear when your microphone cover needs changing?

• HearPeers Heroes

Med-El recommends changing the mic covers every three months.  I typically start to notice a sound quality change at about 2 1/2 months, so I change my mic covers every two months to avoid the change in sound quality.  Even though I use dry kits every night and do not live in a humid area, the sound quality change is noticeable to me.

There are two tiny little black filters which can be seen underneath the mic cover when it is removed and turned upside down.  In fact, I recommend checking new mic covers to be sure those two filters are in place before putting them on.  Several of us have received mic covers in different colors that were missing those filters.  Med-El replaced them.

The sound quality difference for me is a dampening of high frequency sounds.

Some people report not noticing a change at all when they switch out mic covers.  Other people report significant changes that sound like new MAPs when they switch out mic covers.  (Typically these users have waited longer than 3 months to change the mic covers.)

I prefer consistent sound quality so I just added a repeating event to my calendar to remind me when it is time for me to change mic covers.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Mary Beth .  I was activated on May 9 so it's not three months yet but I've noticed a sort of echo the last day or two and can't decide if it's a normal part of the process that I can either rehab out or address with my audiologist (I have a remapping a week from Tuesday) or if it's the microphone cover.  I guess I could test that by switching to my backup processor.  Jeez, why didn't I think of that already?  :P

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Just a thought......sometimes when things sound off it helps to take the Sonnet apart (separate the cable from both ends & remove the battery pack or rechargeable adapter) and then reattach everything.

• HearPeers Heroes

I decided to change the mic cover.  I managed to both lose the earhook pin AND find it again in the carpet.  It's a bit clearer now.  I think it was a combination of both the mic cover and the need for a MAP adjustment.  Kirsten's been doing really well making adjustments to help with clarity the last couple of times, so I can wait a week on that.  I did, by the way, also learn yesterday that I'm cleared for my second surgery, just need to contact the scheduler on Monday and get a date.  W00t!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

That’s exciting!  Hopefully you will be scheduled soon!  And lucky you to fall into the Rondo 2 voucher twice.  Terrific!

The Sonnet earhook pin will attach to the bottom of the DL-coil magnetically for safe keeping while you change the mic cover.  It is so tiny, right?  It can be tricky. But I believe there is a replacement pin in our Sonnet kits in case you do lose it at some point.  The Sonnet can be worn without that pin and someone here who has trouble dealing with the pin has chosen to just not use it.  I like using the pin but can see how people with impaired dexterity or eyesight may prefer not to use it.

Congratulations on your first mic cover replacement.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth -- yes, when I met with Landon she showed me how to use the DL-coil to catch it, and I actually did, but dropped it when I was putting it back in the hole.  I'd buy some extras - i prefer to have it too even though I doubt my earhook would drop off - but I never got the email about the direct-mail website from Med-El.  Did anyone?  @MED-EL Moderator, do you know anything about that?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth -- yes, when I met with Landon she showed me how to use the DL-coil to catch it, and I actually did, but dropped it when I was putting it back in the hole.  I'd buy some extras - i prefer to have it too even though I doubt my earhook would drop off - but I never got the email about the direct-mail website from Med-El.  Did anyone?  @MED-EL Moderator, do you know anything about that?

• HearPeers Heroes

Also, FYI, just emailed Landon to ask about the website.

• HearPeers Heroes

about the US Med-El website registration....I followed the link and completed the registration.  Then I chose the contact us link because I was not sure if I was supposed to enter a processor serial number or the serial number of my internal implant.  I received a quick response and was asked to confirm my birthdate (it seems I had a typo in that) and was told it could take several business days before I received a link.

In the meantime, I automatically received an email with a link (to a different email account) and accessed the web store that way.

I never received any email with a link from my attempt at registering however maybe I would have if I didn’t receive the automatic email to my other email account.

Your audiologist may have extra pins @Mary Featherston too.

• HearPeers Heroes

The extra Sonnet earhook pins in your kit may be in the little red box with the activity hook and spare earhook.  So you may be set on spare pins.  

09323B21-313A-4F56-8822-372829C53F7A.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

And @Mary Featherston....dropping that tiny little pin while trying to reinsert it happens to all of us.  Glad you found it.

• HearPeers Heroes

I haven't opened the earhook box yet, I'll look in there.  Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

So glad to hear you are cleared for surgery of ear two! Look forward to hearing about your second journey! 

@Mary Featherston 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada I'm practically levitating.  Tomorrow I'll get my surgery date figured out!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada I'm practically levitating.  Tomorrow I'll get my surgery date figured out!

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol I noticed your surgery date! Great news!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, by the way.  When I ordered my kit I asked for nordic grey on everything but the mic cover, and got the mic cover in that dark red.  I like the contrast.  But the spare mic covers in my kit were not all red:  one was, but two were grey.  I put a grey one on and found the whole thing incredibly dull when all the parts are the same color, so I stuck a set of skins on.   I'd add a photo but I can't even get the file small enough.  Jeez.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, by the way.  When I ordered my kit I asked for nordic grey on everything but the mic cover, and got the mic cover in that dark red.  I like the contrast.  But the spare mic covers in my kit were not all red:  one was, but two were grey.  I put a grey one on and found the whole thing incredibly dull when all the parts are the same color, so I stuck a set of skins on.   I'd add a photo but I can't even get the file small enough.  Jeez.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I hope you can get the picture posted.

The good thing about those mic covers is they need to be changed every three months so we can always change up the colors.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, hey.  It worked.

ci.JPG

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Skin It or Design Skins?

Did you deck out your Fine Tuner too?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth it's from Skinit but from a photo of my own.  And yep, I put the same picture on the back of my Fine Tuner.  Didn't bother with the front, you wouldn't be able to see much what with all the buttons.

• HearPeers Heroes

Looks awesome! Also about the pins if you have to return parts keep the extra pin! So I have a few now. 

• Like 3