CI failure symptoms?

Renachelw

Hi everyone, 

So its been about 2 months since switch on, and my hearing is still about the same as in the first few weeks. 

I'm not sure, maybe I've reached the peak already, but will have to go for my first mapping end of this month.

I am paranoid and have anxiety and honestly the CI is really scaring me because:

1) Sometimes it feels like my hearing has decreased. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or if it is really getting weaker.
2) Occassionaly, I hear some popping/cackling sounds. It's not long but maybe tic tic, twice and its gone. (Is my implant failing?) 
3) When I stream music directly to my single-unit processor, again, im not sure if its my imagination, but sometimes my ear/head (idk the exact spot) feels kindy achy. Like an aching pain, but it isn't pain. I don't really know how to describe it. 
4) I find myself asking people to repeat more (but not as often as pre-implant) coz i miss out/what I hear sounds muffled occassionaly. 

So yeah, any idea if its me or my implant that's not working? haha. 

Also, where do yall guys get your powerone batteries from? It's expensive here in Sg, and I have to order from Amazon. I'm not sure if its reliable, but it costs around 40USD for 10 packs. Does anyone have reliable sources with international shipping?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Renachelw

Every audiologist or CI center handles the activation or MAPping schedule differently.  It is common in the beginning to experience that everything starts to sound too quiet and our need for more power increases.  This happens in the first months until we reach a stable MAP.  What you are describing as not hearing as well as before may just be a need for a stronger MAP.

Sounds coming into my processors, whether through the processor mics or various assistive tech, do not make me feel differently.  Is it possible that you are setting the volume louder on your streaming device than you typically hear through your  processor mics?

I have never experienced popping nor cackling sounds.  I would mention that to my CI team if I was you and see what they say.

PowerOne Implant batteries work great for me but can be expensive.  There are online battery sites like microbattery but I do not know about international shipping.  Sorry.

Good luck at your MAPping appointment.  I hope things sound better to you after that.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

I just went for my first mapping last monday. 

Started off with speech therapy followed by a hearing test, after which my audiologist gave me new programs. 

She says hearing on some frequencies is a bit unclear for me, but cant exactly pinpoint which one is wrong because seems like my "lost" frequencies is here and there and thus hard to identify.

So, one program was tuned according to the audiogram, and the others were just mic directionality I think. 

Oh there's also another program which is my very first program (factory settings i think?) but just increased in volume.

I am really having a hard time knowing which program suits me best. In fact, I actually do not feel any improvement these days. 

Audiologist says my high frequency is near/within the normal hearing range.

After activation, in about a week, my hearing sounded pretty normal already. I wonder if this is already the best? 

Somewhat disappointed because radio, PA systems, mics, churches, loud environments, movies etc are still quite hard.

I'm currently using the "original settings but louder" program as the one tuned to my audiogram seems really loud and echoy even though it is the same volume. 

It also sounds "distorted" in a sense that compared to my original setting, a particular singer's voice sounds really deep and less melodious.

I'm really confused because I cant tell if this "distortion" is how its supposed to be, and am I supposed to train to get used to this setting, or will it be fine just using the "original but louder" setting because it is less "distorted" and more comfortable?

Anyone else had this problem? 

Thanks.

Early days Renachelw. I’m sure you are going to encounter enough “wow”moments to  ease your concerns. I’m a few months shy of two years activated and still don’t think I’m anywhere near optimum results. Especially for music. Voices took a long time to come into “focus” still not completely there but music is taking a long long time. Doesn’t lessen my enthusiasm for music in the least. I play a lot of familiar songs in the background and try to set up ideal conditions when listening to something unfamiliar. And true, some days music seems to sound a lot “clearer” than others. Weird, but I think it has to do with focus. Still having trouble with tv and phone is still out of reach, in fact may never get there, but considering where I came from, a “wow” moment in itself.

I’m still not completely happy with my mappings. In a perfect world we could see the Audi every other day or so or better yet have the ability to fine tune more ourselves out in the real world instead of trying to guess in the office. Improvement are being made every day though so one can hope.

I also sometimes get a weird, almost slight burning sensation, when streaming to the implant. Rarely though and I think lessening with time.

Early days!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

Finding MAPs that we love does take time.  When we do arrive at them, it is refreshing.  I hope you and your CI audiologist are able to create MAPs that you love soon.

As you know, I am a huge fan of aural rehab...both using apps and using live voices.  

The slight burning sensation that happens on occasion when you are steaming audio........which tech are you using to stream the audio?  Have you mentioned this to your audiologist yet?

• HearPeers Heroes
On 8/3/2018 at 3:26 AM, Renachelw said:

Hi everyone, 

So its been about 2 months since switch on, and my hearing is still about the same as in the first few weeks. 

I'm not sure, maybe I've reached the peak already, but will have to go for my first mapping end of this month.

I am paranoid and have anxiety and honestly the CI is really scaring me because:

1) Sometimes it feels like my hearing has decreased. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or if it is really getting weaker.
2) Occassionaly, I hear some popping/cackling sounds. It's not long but maybe tic tic, twice and its gone. (Is my implant failing?) 
3) When I stream music directly to my single-unit processor, again, im not sure if its my imagination, but sometimes my ear/head (idk the exact spot) feels kindy achy. Like an aching pain, but it isn't pain. I don't really know how to describe it. 
4) I find myself asking people to repeat more (but not as often as pre-implant) coz i miss out/what I hear sounds muffled occassionaly. 

So yeah, any idea if its me or my implant that's not working? haha. 

Also, where do yall guys get your powerone batteries from? It's expensive here in Sg, and I have to order from Amazon. I'm not sure if its reliable, but it costs around 40USD for 10 packs. Does anyone have reliable sources with international shipping?

Marybeth is correct.

you definitely should discuss your concerns with your AuD/hearing professional.

at 2 months you are still in the adjustment phase with additional mappings to occur. It’s all part of the journey and some people adjust differently than others

remember the 3 Ps: Patience, Practice, Perseverance 

• 5 months later...

I had an cochlear implant activated over 10 days ago.  I have been deaf in that ear for over 70 years.  They said I should start to feel vibrations if not sound.  I am on  program 4 with the volume turned all the way up and can't hear anything or even feel the vibrations.  I have made sure they are in sync.  I guess my worry is that at this point I am worried it will never work.  Any words of wisdom?  Thanks  Gary Robinson

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Gary

@GPRobinson

Comgratulations on your CI.  Ten days is quite early in the journey but I understand your concerns.

Every CI audiologist has her own approach to activation and subsequent MAPpings.  Some audiologists bring people up in power gradually.

When I was activated, I listened to beeps on various electrodes and we set a comfortable volume level.  Did you do that?  Were you able to hear the beeps?

I have bilateral implants and they started out in very different ways.  My right side (which had no hearing for 24 years) heard static and beeps which quickly matched up with syllables and words started appearing hours later.  My left side (which had a tiny bit of hearing and used a hearing aid) started off in silence with very very quiet marimba sounds.  Then marimba and whale song.  Then marimba, whale song and whispers of speech.  

There are many many different ways our journeys begin after activation.

Do you have a follow up appt with your audiologist soon?  Are you able to contact your audiologist and share your concerns?

Hang in there.  Keep us posted.

Wishing you the best.