New User with questions and concerns

Carolyn

Hello everyone, I introduced myself in another forum a couple of months ago, and appreciated all the feedback. I did go ahead with the surgery and had my (unilateral) processor turned on August 3rd, so I am only a few days into this.  Turn-on went better than expected. I was told I might only hear beeps and static in the beginning, but right away I could hear and understand the audiologist with the help of lip reading. I do notice a honking/beeping sound with every syllable of every word spoken. This has been annoying, but I have still been able to make out the words with the help of speech reading up until this point.  I have been able to follow a commentator on a news program without the help of captions (something I was unable to keep up with using hearing aids alone). My problem is that this afternoon, for whatever reason, the honking sound seemed to get louder (no changes in the program I’m on) to the point where it is really difficult to find and understand the spoken word.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced a setback like this (It could be that I am just tired of listening altogether).  Also, is the honking sound something that can be adjusted or tuned out through the mapping process? Thanks for any input you can offer.  Sorry for the long post…

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Carolyn

Joe is right that our audiologists are the experts on our MAPs.  I join in encouraging you to contact your audiologist.

I believe you mentioned having both N7 and Kanso processors.  If they are both set up for you, you may just want to try the other processor to be sure things sound the same with both.

I have never experienced a honking sound with syllables but others may have.  I hope this gets resolved for you soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

Carolyn, contact your audi. Howeber sometimes and firstly for wheater/presure changes I have a similiar issue. The loud sounds begin in the morning and in the night I have difficult to understand the voice of the people. Other reason commented by audi is the stress in the nervous because I'm unilateral implanted yet and all the sounds are processed by one side and probably for any reason is saturated. After sleep during the night, I wake up much better.

Hi All, thank you for your responses.  I saw my audi  who made some minor adjustments and a new map. I didn't notice much  difference, but truthfully, the whole experience is getting better with time.   As my  audiologist tells, me "words, like music, are  all on pitches. You brain just has to figure it out." I am also wearing my hearing aid in the non-implanted ear now.  That hearing aid doesn't really assist with speech  discrimination,  but it normalizes everything.  Overall, my quality of life is soooo much better. Thanks again for responding!

• Like 4

• HearPeers Heroes

Try using some speech recognition websites or apps and practice as much as possible. Like Angel Sounds and AB Clix. These I used and were greatly helpful.