New User with questions and concerns

Carolyn

Hello everyone, I introduced myself in another forum a couple of months ago, and appreciated all the feedback. I did go ahead with the surgery and had my (unilateral) processor turned on August 3rd, so I am only a few days into this.  Turn-on went better than expected. I was told I might only hear beeps and static in the beginning, but right away I could hear and understand the audiologist with the help of lip reading. I do notice a honking/beeping sound with every syllable of every word spoken. This has been annoying, but I have still been able to make out the words with the help of speech reading up until this point.  I have been able to follow a commentator on a news program without the help of captions (something I was unable to keep up with using hearing aids alone). My problem is that this afternoon, for whatever reason, the honking sound seemed to get louder (no changes in the program I’m on) to the point where it is really difficult to find and understand the spoken word.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced a setback like this (It could be that I am just tired of listening altogether).  Also, is the honking sound something that can be adjusted or tuned out through the mapping process? Thanks for any input you can offer.  Sorry for the long post…

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Carolyn.  This sounds normal to me (I'm three months post activation).  The sounds will change a LOT in the first weeks.  In fact even now I see changes like that.  I was happily enjoying the improvements I've experienced recently until last Thursday when suddenly the sounds I hear have a significant, truly strong echo effect and some tinniness at the higher frequencies.  It's pretty awful, but I have a mapping scheduled for tomorrow and am pretty confident we can deal with most of it.

You have probably only had one of two mappings?  It's a process and you will see changes like this.  Hang in there, keep on with your rehab and make notes of the changes so you can describe them to your audiologist.  I've had several cycles like what you're seeing now (and I am as well) and my audiologist has been dealing with each as they arise.

Trust the process, if you watched TV without captions, you're doing GREAT!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Carolyn.  This sounds normal to me (I'm three months post activation).  The sounds will change a LOT in the first weeks.  In fact even now I see changes like that.  I was happily enjoying the improvements I've experienced recently until last Thursday when suddenly the sounds I hear have a significant, truly strong echo effect and some tinniness at the higher frequencies.  It's pretty awful, but I have a mapping scheduled for tomorrow and am pretty confident we can deal with most of it.

You have probably only had one of two mappings?  It's a process and you will see changes like this.  Hang in there, keep on with your rehab and make notes of the changes so you can describe them to your audiologist.  I've had several cycles like what you're seeing now (and I am as well) and my audiologist has been dealing with each as they arise.

Trust the process, if you watched TV without captions, you're doing GREAT!

• HearPeers Heroes

Crud, duplicate response.  Hopefully it doesn't happen again.  I wanted to add that yes, in fact some of the honking and beeping and other odd sounds will in fact go away on their own as your brain learns to hear this way - the sounds will integrate and be part of the voices you hear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Crud, duplicate response.  Hopefully it doesn't happen again.  I wanted to add that yes, in fact some of the honking and beeping and other odd sounds will in fact go away on their own as your brain learns to hear this way - the sounds will integrate and be part of the voices you hear.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

It may be interesting to see if you notice the same sound quality using your back up processor.  It’s interesting that it was a sudden change.  Keep us posted.  I’m happy you see your audiologist tomorrow,  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Carolyn

It sounds like you are off to a great start.  Things change rapidly during the first weeks.  Tell your audiologist everythin.  Smile.  Our awesome audiologists can interpret our descriptions and make MAP changes.  Keep us posted.  And congratulations on your activation.

Thank you, Mary. You have no idea how encouraged I am by your comments. I was really depressed yesterday.   It is good to know that this is common, and it is not necessarily a linear path. I'm trying to focus on successes, not setbacks. It's true that I have  had one mapping. I see the audiologist again on Friday, so I will be prepared with daily notes and observations. And Mary Beth, I, too, am interested in trying the alternate processor. I have one behind the ear and one stand alone. We haven't activated the stand alone CI, so that will be interesting to see on Friday. Thanks again. My last post seems to have posted 40 times. I didn't intend that--not sure what happened there.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - since you ask (WHOO HOO) I had an excellent visit with my audiologist today.  We remapped and most of my echo is gone.  The higher frequencies are still not fully integrated, but I can accept that - I probably haven't hear much in that range in the last twenty years.

BUT!  I got 89% on word comprehension today with just my CI and 92% with my CI and my hearing aid (which I had to pull out of the mothball fleet and put a new battery in, as I haven't been using it.  Compared to my pre-implantation score of 19% with my hearing aids, this is excellent.

I can happily work on the sound quality, I already have so much benefit!  So, see, @Carolyn!!  Hang in there, this gets great.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - since you ask (WHOO HOO) I had an excellent visit with my audiologist today.  We remapped and most of my echo is gone.  The higher frequencies are still not fully integrated, but I can accept that - I probably haven't hear much in that range in the last twenty years.

BUT!  I got 89% on word comprehension today with just my CI and 92% with my CI and my hearing aid (which I had to pull out of the mothball fleet and put a new battery in, as I haven't been using it.  Compared to my pre-implantation score of 19% with my hearing aids, this is excellent.

I can happily work on the sound quality, I already have so much benefit!  So, see, @Carolyn!!  Hang in there, this gets great.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, and by the way, I did try my backup processor - sound was exactly the same.  It wasn't the processor, just my brain taking a left turn.  Much better now!

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, and by the way, I did try my backup processor - sound was exactly the same.  It wasn't the processor, just my brain taking a left turn.  Much better now!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston,  I have found having a completely separate backup processor allows me to know if something is a processor problem or a MAP problem.  That can be helpful.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Agreed, @Mary Beth I've done that a couple of times now.  Also, discussed Rondo2 with my audiologist.  She had a meeting with Med-El last week and apparently they still have not given a date for when Rondo2 will begin to ship, so I'm still hoping for the voucher.

• HearPeers Heroes

Agreed, @Mary Beth I've done that a couple of times now.  Also, discussed Rondo2 with my audiologist.  She had a meeting with Med-El last week and apparently they still have not given a date for when Rondo2 will begin to ship, so I'm still hoping for the voucher.

• HearPeers Heroes

Since Maestro 7 just received FDA approval and is needed for Rondo 2 it seems according to their tech info, it may take a little while to get all the CI audiologists trained and stock up on Rondo 2 kits in the US.  We have not heard yet what items will be in the Rondo 2 voucher kits, in the activation Rondo 2 kits nor in the upgrade Rondo 2 kits in the US.  Those kits are not always the same.

Kits change all the time too.

I chose one Rondo in my first activation kit and then received a Plus Rondo under a promotion from Med-El for my second CI.  Those kits were not the same.

Sonnet kits for activation and Sonnet upgrade kits are presently not the same.

If you see something about the Rondo 2 US kits, please let us know.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, certainly.  Depending on timing, I may get both an activation kit and a Plus Rondo kit.  My audiologist knows that if I miss the voucher she should order me one Sonnet and one Rondo2.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, certainly.  Depending on timing, I may get both an activation kit and a Plus Rondo kit.  My audiologist knows that if I miss the voucher she should order me one Sonnet and one Rondo2.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

What do you have now......two Sonnets and a Rondo 2 voucher?

Your timing has been good.  You will end up with 5 or 6 processors, right?  Wonderful.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, exactly @Mary Beth - I've already used the backup processor once when the other got too damp.  It's really nice to have, I am lucky to be at a two-processor clinic.  The PlusRondo promotion is just a lagniappe!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, exactly @Mary Beth - I've already used the backup processor once when the other got too damp.  It's really nice to have, I am lucky to be at a two-processor clinic.  The PlusRondo promotion is just a lagniappe!

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow @Mary FeatherstonI'm so happy to hear how it went with the audi today. I know that you're very disciplined when it comes to the aural rehab and it is paying off! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Really?  I don't think of myself as disciplined, but I guess in a way, it's like my walking.  I make sure I get at least 11,000 steps a day, for bone density.  And I guess I've been regarded as somewhat....obsessive about it.  :D  So I guess you've got me!