Surgery August 21

Jewel

@Jewel I'm sorry I'm behind in the forum. Yes I lost my lip reading ability as my hearing deteriorated quickly in the last 3 years. I've always had hearing loss  and born deaf in my right ear.  In 2015 I had bariatric weight loss surgery and woke up one morning in September of that year completely deaf in my only good ear. Now that I do not have the hearing aid and awaiting CI activation  yes lip reading is really cumbersome.I scored 12 % word recognition during audiogist assessment for CI approval Reading lips and 2% just listening. We use note writing  texting and very basic beginner signs at home. I've had a 3 year journey to get CI insurance approval. I'm currently working from home until I get activated. I'm learning so much from these forms and posts! 

@Mary Featherston After my Sweet Dr surprisingly ripped the bandages from behind my ear with no warning I was speechless after that! LOL. I almost cried bloody murder and he was in and out so fast I couldn't even form a sentence. Hahaha. Funny now but it wasn't then. My next appt is Aug 30th for activation . 

• HearPeers Heroes

I got my Artone and the Bose headphones. I'm amazed at how light the two are! Looking forward to using them in September!! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

YAY!  Two of my favorite tech items! 

Is your BOSE QC35 the newer version 2? Mine is the original one.  You can download the BOSE app, charge it up and then check to see that its updates are current.  Very comfy.  Make sure to set your phone so all sound goes to your implanted side if you can not hear music from your other side.  This way you will not miss the other side’s stereo effects.  

I am presently half half way through a LONG audiobook (45 hours!) and have been using my Artone neckloops for hours and hours while I do things around home.  So light that I forget it is even on.

• HearPeers Heroes

@sassychele02

Ouch!  That sounds painful!  

Your audiologist may know which electrode array you have too.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Yes, that version came out after we purchased ours.  Friends have it and love it.  I think they sound the same but that version has an additional feature or two.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

On iPhones the setting to have all audio send out to only one side is under 

settings

general

accessibility

then adjust so all music goes to the one side 

This is important when using connectivity devices that have true stereo effects (like BOSE QC BT headphones and CozyPhones flat headband speakers).  Some connectivity devices do not deliver true stereo effects so it doesn’t matter with those devices (BT neckloops-like Artone or Quattro4, Roger System).

EBEFBB6E-BD39-460B-AA5A-265CA98D6424.png

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I think you select mono audio and then move the button to your preferred side

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I figured out how to set up the headphone. Put it on and could no longer hear the AC in the living room. But I felt like I could hear myself speak. Plus if I tap the headphone I hear it. The real test will be whether it blocks out all sounds when I'm on the aeroplane. I feel like the more I fly, the worse my hearing gets. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Remember noise canceling is not the same as sound proof.  Those headphones greatly dampen environmental noises while I am listening to music or audiobooks.  They do not block ALL sounds.  When you wish to block ALL SOUNDS, the Artone neckloop with your processor on T will do it.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Thanks for that clarification. 

No one will tell me whether I will be benefiting from the PLUSRONDO promotion. I would have thought they have my kit already. 

I am also delaying purchase of an ipad since Apple is to release new models very soon. I hope it comes out by the time I'm back for activation. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

If you have the BOSE app on your phone, you can see which noise canceling setting you have it set at presently.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Yes I saw that. I realise that the manual is in the app. So I was able to figure things out. Thanks. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel I don’t use the Rogers reciever at all since I would need two I only have one. Plus the price for another is ridiculous. So not at all.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel one of my least favorite things about flying is the engine noise (well, and all the people).  But I've always just popped off my hearing aids and will continue to do that with CIs.  My friend with a CI calls it her superpower:  on a plane she can take her processor off and just be deaf for a while.  It was interesting to me to find that she shared both my newfound love of sound via the CI *and* the love of silence once in a while.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I am still able to hear the engine noise with just my natural hearing. Idk if I will lose my residual hearing in the implanted air, but I can hear a lot of environmental sounds without any HA or anything. It will be a major adjustment if I am in total silence after surgery. I'm not used to that. 

I made the mistake looking up an actual video of CI surgery. I'm sorry I did. Can't wait for Wednesday! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - I did that too (looked up the video).  Surgery videos in general make me a bit squeamish, I had a job once where I had to see some.  But if I can think about it without having to SEE it, I am both amazed by the technical details of CI implantation surgery and the extent to which surgical technique has improved to the point that it has, so we can have it as an outpatient procedure.  My friend that I mentioned with the superpowers (heh) had her surgery hm, fifteen years ago?  And was in the hospital for three days and also said that her whole head was swollen for quite some time.  Me, I can home and looked in the mirror and the only way I could tell I had surgery was the bandage.  

It's not fun to watch if you're not used to that, but it's incredibly cool that they can do it!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I usually don't mind watching surgical videos but seeing that I will actually be undergoing the same surgery I viewed this time, it had a different effect on me. I am definitely happy for the strides that they have made with CI surgeries. Glad it's outpatient. The last time I was admitted to hospital for several days was when I was three years old. I hate hospitals. I only go there to visit people if I absolutely have to.

I hope my recovery is as easy as yours. 

Funny enough there's another Jamaican at this hotel for surgery, but I'm sure I'm the only one who will be walking around bandaged up this week. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - you definitely will be!  After my surgery it took a little while to dial in the pain meds before the nurse released me, and she was getting worried because apparently almost everyone ends up falling asleep within an hour or two of surgery and she wanted me to get home first.  And we did, and I went to bed with my cat curled up by my legs, and three hours later I woke up and that was the last of recuperating in bed for me.  My doctor prescribed a week off work, but I could easily have been working by Wednesday or Thursday.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

So how long were you at hospital on the day of your CI surgery? From what you said it seems like you were discharged within an hour or two of surgery. You weren't asleep right after surgery? They gave you something to wake you up immediately after surgery? 

I was told I should expect to be there for 5-6 hours! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Maybe they are including the time before the surgery too?  I had to be at the hospital 2 hours prior to surgery.  Then there was the surgery time, time in an area where you wake up and then time in a different area where you get up and get released.

I don’t remember the exact amount of time this took but it was a simple process, easy recovery and definitely the easiest ear surgery I ever had.  I hope your experience is as easy.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - it was about six hours.  Surgery time was 7:15 am and I got there around six.  Surgery was finished by 10:30 or 10:45, I think (no watch) and it took them a while to wake me up (always does, I had a major surgery about fifteen years ago and was resisting waking up, it's almost like I knew how much I'd hurt when I woke up.  Luckily CI surgery's not that bad).  Then they did a bunch of metrics (temp, BP, that kind of thing) and the nurse gave me some pain meds because there was pain at the surgical site.  All in all the dorking around in post-op took about an hour, then I had to get out of my cute purple gown and into my clothes and we left.