Surgery August 21

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

Funny, they didn't tell me I have to reach before surgery time. I thought that the surgery time they are going to give me tomorrow is the time I'm to arrive at. I will have to get clarifcation cos it wouldn't be funny if I turn up at the wrong time! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

My CI center told me the surgery time and was very clear about the time I was to show up.  A lot happens before surgery,

I’m so glad your long wait is almost over.

• HearPeers Heroes

Me too @Mary Beth.

It has been such a long wait. I can't believe it is almost over. I hope everything goes smoothly. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel I'm betting it will!  And I'm sure they'll give you arrival time and your surgery time.  They have a whole protocol to follow to prepare you for the surgery.

Tuesday will be here before you know it!

• HearPeers Heroes

The Rogers 21 reciever is $2000 CAD. If I was to get a whole kit with a new Rogers pen it would be $2100. Plus with Audi activation or something like that. Crazy amounts of money. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

Crazy prices indeed. If you follow these manufacturers will go broke! Wish your insurance covered another Roger 21 receiver for you. 

• HearPeers Heroes

In the US, Roger items are expensive too because Phonak will not sell directly to end users so everyone must go through an audiologist and that increases the price.  We can order the Roger 21 and various other Roger receivers and transmitters online from the UK, through vendors like Connevans, which greatly reduces the cost.

However, since we can not get 100/0 mix with our Med-El processors, the Roger 21 becomes limited for me.  The only time I use assistive tech, is when I am streaming music, audiobooks, etc and I do not want a 50/50 mix.

We have the option to use Roger MyLink neckloop receiver and set our processors on T to get 100/0 mix but that requires using a neckloop.  The Artone 3 MAX neckloop streams that audio at a much lower cost since it doesn’t require a transmitter.

Roger is super in schools for students who need to use remote mics with their HAs and CIs.  They have great products (like the Roger Select transmitter for adults) but the set 50/50mix ratio for Med-El limits their benefits for adults in my opinion.

I am hoping Med-El’s AudioLink will offer a 100/0mix option.

You all are very brave to have watched a CI surgery. I can't watch any surgeries on tv, I would faint lol.

I stayed overnight for my surgery, started about 1pm and by 4pm I was awake. 

@Daniel the Stranger I had my family watch sneezing implant video. My husband has grossed out by it like you. Lol. @Jewel getting super close to you big day!! I stayed overnight for my surgery. My surgery was over by 930am on surgery day and I was discharged the next morning at 10am. I'm anxious ly awaiting activation at end of this month. I'm curious as to what's included in the kit. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@sassychele02 what processor did you choose?  And is your clinic a one or two processor clinic?

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow, variety!  @sassychele02 - you will have an opportunity to try each.  I'm getting PlusRondo for my first surgery and am hoping it's still available for my second.

@Mary Featherstonn

I hope toy do as well. I ant wait to follow your bilateral CI journey. I hope I get approved for  my other ear too next year.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@sassychele02

Yes, I hope I'm the first patient Tuesday so I don't have to bear an empty stomach for too long! ? 

Glad to hear you've already decided to go bilateral. Wish I could afford it. Hope to maximise the one I will have. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Well I got my wish! I am first on the list. Surgery set for 7 am tomorrow. I am to report to the hospital at 6 am. It feels surreal. 

• Like 2

Yessssssss!! @Jewel. I'm happy for you. You got the very 1st surgery appointment. This is are going great for you and just imagine your turn is finally here! Surreal for sure. We can't wait to hear how you feel after implantation. Tomorrow is going to go by so fast :))) 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel!!!!  Yay for early surgery, you will be in and out before you know it!  Best of luck tomorrow, and we'll be waiting to hear how you feel afterwards.  ❤️

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel should be out of surgery by now.  Here's hoping for a great outcome!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello everyone, 

I got discharged 1.5 hours ago. My surgery started around 8:30. I am lucid, have a healthy appetite, taste buds working, little pain. 

When I gained consciousness after surgery I didn't feel any pain but half hour after that the pain was really bad. They gave me a tablet which didn't help. They then gave me something else that mixed with the IV. Little pain now. 

When I gained consciousness I felt like an airport with Planes buzzing in my implanted ear. And I felt like water in the other ear. I don't have that now. 

@Mary FeatherstonI got bair hugger by 3m to wear. Got socks! Is that the one you designed? It was very warm.

I was coughing after surgery but didn't spit. Now I'm at the hotel I see that I am coughing up a little blood. Is that normal? 

Surgeon visited me twice after the operation. I got Flex28!  

BTW my mom was dressed to go from 4:30 am! She's the one who woke me afterward. 

The waiting room was full of my family! No one else had so much company! Lol! 

• Like 1

@Jewel Congratulations!! I'm so happy your ok! Glad you have your appetite back and surrounded by loved ones. Your mum is adorable! Up at 430 am.Go mommy!! Mother bear ? . I love it!! Get plenty of rest. I wonder why you're coughing up blood? Maybe the tube scratched you throat? Welcome to the winners bench!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

After months of trying to find out I just got an email that I won't be benefitting from the PLUSRONDO promotion. They wait until I have the surgery to tell me! I am most upset! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel cool, you got our gown.  Yes, that's the one I was on the design team for!

Try not to let the PlusRondo thing bother you too much.  I agree that the timing was bad, but you will have an excellent processor in Sonnet.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary, 

I told them from January that I wanted a Rondo 2 when it came out. No one bothered to tell me that I won't benefit from this promotion. I could have ordered a Sonnet and a Rondo2. But they made sure to keep quiet and get me two Sonnets so as to force me to have to buy a Rondo2 separately. I am not amused. 

@Jewelthat would have rubbed me the wrong way too. After all this time it should have just been a given for you.  Why not 1 Sonnet and 1 Rondo even if not the Rondo 2. they should have at least kept you in the loop ?Anywho.. Glad your feeling well so soon. Hope you have a lot of pillow to stack up to sleep.