Surgery August 21

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

How are things going communicating with your family post implant of your better ear while you await activation?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I haven't had any problem communicating with them yet. However, sometimes their voices don't sound as loud as they did before the surgery. 

Today I started to hear the AC in my room like I did before surgery. After surgery I wasn't hearing that sound at all. 

I hope I will be able to manage when I return to work. I can't wear the HA on my implanted ear right? 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - I was told that post-surgery there is often fluid in your inner ear which affects hearing.  That could explain the A/C.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

It’s probably best to ask your CI team about wearing your HA in your implanted ear.

My right ear had absolutely no hearing prior to surgery so there was no HA on it.

I had stopped wearing my left HA prior to surgery by choice since things sounded better with my CI only.

So I never had that conversation with my CI team.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - you didn't wear your left HA at all prior to your second implantation?  My audiologist has me doing that now to keep the auditory nerve active.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I wore my left HA for awhile.  It helped at first.  I peaked at bimodal listening at 3 months post CI activation.  From there forward, I had less and less benefit from the HA and eventually the HA actually made listening harder.

I received my second CI eight months after my first.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm finding it okay, but I'm beginning to suspect that I'm slower to get the first CI really dialed in.  My word comprehension is great but I am still having to tweak the maps for echoes and whatnot.  In fact I'm a little worried about how far out my next appointment is, but want to try to rehab through for a while yet.  I have an appointment on 9/25, then my second surgery on 10/12, and from then on will be at the audiologist's a lot.  Activation is 11/1 and then the six-month appointment for the first CI is 11/7.  So once I get through September I think it's going to mesh with the rhythm that my rehab is taking.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel how are the weather and your equilibrium?   Can you take a walk today?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

It's bright and sunny down here. So I went to the mall with my family. Been here over 2 hours now. Sometimes it feels strange to walk, like I'm conscious of every step I take but I haven't had any problems or dizzy spells. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - yes, that was true for me too.  Even now I can feel it sometimes when I roll over on the right side of my head in bed.  But it's lessening over time.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Just got back from the mall and I'm feeling absolutely awful. Guess I overdid it. We walked out the entire mall. My head hurts! And now I feel like I am coming down with a cold! Blehhhh. 

• HearPeers Heroes

So I have my postop tomorrow. Trying to figure out what questions I should be sure to ask the surgeon tomorrow. Any suggestions? 

On 8/27/2018 at 8:54 AM, Jewel said:

Just got back from the mall and I'm feeling absolutely awful. Guess I overdid it. We walked out the entire mall. My head hurts! And now I feel like I am coming down with a cold! Blehhhh. 

Wow, you definitely overdid it, you are very brave!!! I went to do groceries the next day but just for half an hour max. It felt like you said, strange, but not too bad. Thing is I always look at the positive side so it seems that I didn't have any side effects but I did, just not too bad :P

In regards to asking questions to the doctor hmm... I didn't have any to be honest, everything was smooth in my case. 

@Jewel hope your better today. Poor thing. How is the head pain now?? The only question I forgot to ask was when was it ok to not be fearful in getting water in your Implanted ear. You took the " shop til you drop" literally I see ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @sassychele02

My entire scalp has been extremely tender today. 

I have no ear pain thankfully but all this clicking from the Synchrony inside my head is hard to get used to. I feel like it has been dislodged inside my head and that is why it is making so much noise. That's probably not the case. It's just how I feel. 

How are things with you? 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - interesting, I haven't heard of clicking.  Definitely one for your post-op checkup.  It may just be tinnitus though - I've heard of that making really odd sounds.  In fact mine did right after surgery - no clicks, but lots of noise that I didn't expect.  That's all subsided and it's back to the regular old ear ringing that I've been hearing since (*cough1973cough*)

@Mary FeatherstonFeatherston @Jewel I said the exact same thing. It may get tinnitus. My head is tender too and I'm fearful the knot where I assume where my implant is will not go down after complete healing. I hope you're taking it easy girlie. Someone gave me that advice Saturday ??????. Definitely being up the tenderness and the clicking. I have tinnitus that hasn't changed much in loudness or tone but one morning I awoke to a different tune which shook me awake. I just knew it came from my head. Get you rest. Are you sleeping ok keeping head elevated?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel  Definitely tell your CI surgeon about the clicking and your sensitive scalp.  Post op tinnitus can produce odd sounds (mine sounded like a quiet marimba) but it is always best to check with our CI teams.  Good luck at your appt and safe travels back home.

@sassychele02  Have you told your CI surgeon about the knot and swelling?  You have had quite a month.  I hope things improve for you soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

Now I'm concerned about the clicking. I have never had tinnitus, so I have nothing to compare this to. I don't have ringing in my ears. Good thing I mentioned this as I thought it was normal. It's not just clicking; just some odd sounds I hear occasionally that I can't describe well. Wish I were musically inclined like @Mary Bethto be better at descriptions. Hopefully it isn't a biggie. 

@sassychele02

I don't have a problem sleeping. I use 4 pillows and sleep upright. Looking forward to being able to use just one pillow! 

I don't think I have any swelling. I can't figure out where exactly the magnet in my head is located. I don't feel any bulge. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Just describe the sounds you are hearing the best you can. Our surgeons, and especially our audiologists, have a lot of experience with our varied descriptions of sounds.

My right CI had no sounds at all.  My left CI had a quiet marimba sound but that went away in time.  

I did not have a bump nor swelling either and remember being curious about the exact magnet location at activation.

I slept with my head elevated the first several nights and then slept normally.  It helped me to use my arm to create a V under the pillow and situate my ear inside the opening of the V when I slept on the implanted side for awhile.  Now I can sleep on either side comfortably with no problem.

Good luck at your appt.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - you may have swelling and not be able to tell.  I did - I was just thinking that the implant site was remarkably smooth when the swelling went down and now I can feel the implant (if I touch it) for about 2/3 or its perimeter.  The swelling wasn't visually obvious but it was there.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Post op appt went great! The surgeon said my surgery went perfectly and I am healing very well. He said that I should not worry about the clicks. It isn't tinnitus. He said I can wash my hair as of today! 

Interestingly he said that I can wear my HA on the implanted ear until I get my CI! So I will be trying that next week. 

He said the tender scalp should dissipate in time. 

According to him I have nothing to worry about. 

He cleared me to fly on Saturday. 

• Like 2