Surgery August 21

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - great news!  It's always hard when you don't know what's normal, and the doctor can help with that.  Have a good trip home!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

Actually I'm just getting around to updating you guys as we went to the mall and spent about 5 hours! Lol! I'm feeling great! I enjoy window shopping ?

• Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - wow, now we KNOW you're feeling better!  I'm glad you feel well enough to shop.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel is back to shopping!  Terrific!  Now you await activation day and then the fun begins.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes @Mary Beth

I can't wait for activation! I hope that Apple will roll out the new iPads by then so I can hit the ground running with the aural rehab apps. On that trip I plan to explore more of Miami with my new ear. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello everyone, 

I am back in Jamaica, aka The Rock! 

I had no issues during the flight. The air pressure didn't affect my ears. I didn't have any clicking in my implanted ear since Thursday but the clicking returned during the flight, just a few clicks though. 

My surgeon told me not to use the noise cancelling headphones yet. Said we will discuss when next I see him, which is November. Had I known I could have delayed my purchase and gotten a $50 discount on Amazon. Oh well. 

So now the countdown to activation begins! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel I bet you're glad to be home!  Activation will be here before you know it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh yes @Mary Featherston

There's no place like home! I'm exhausted now that I'm back! Idk how I will manage with all the back and forthing between Miami and Jamaica in the coming months. 

I went to my place of worship this evening. Usually I can hear the AC loud irrespective of whether I'm wearing my HA or not. Today I didn't wear the HA and I didn't hear the AC but I could hear the ceiling fans. 

I couldn't understand the first speaker but I was able to hear the second speaker well and follow. I hope I can manage at work... 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

Yes, I should keep things in perspective. That's one reason I wouldn't go bilateral if I had the money. Only if I couldn't hear anything from the other ear would I even begin to consider it. In any case I definitely can't afford another ear now. 

@Mary Beth

I return to work on Wednesday. I drove today for the very first time in three weeks. I managed well. I can still hear the engine and the car tyres against the road. 

How long did you guys have lifting restrictions? Wondering if I can go bowling when next I'm in the US. It's too expensive to bowl in Jamaica. 

@Jewel doctor gave me 2 weeks to return to the gym. I do weight lifting. I could come back at week three but decided to take a week more off. I returned after three weeks of my surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

Second time around I had no restrictions. I knew not to blow my nose but otherwise was back at it after four days. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston it’s diffrent for everyone. My first I was on bed rest for two weeks then no lifting or blowing my nose or sneezing or coughing if could be avoided for 6 weeks from there.  

• Like 2

@JewelIm glad you're home. I had lifting restrictions and driving restrictions for the first 2 weeks. Now that I have appendix surgery to completely healer's too I'm looking forward to yoga and any exercise again.

Yep, same here.  It's not like I'm not allowed to do anything, but logical stuff like sneezing, blowing nose, accidentally 'popping' anything or rubbing/touching the site that might harm it.  Plus, no heavy weight for a month.  It's a pain in the butt now, honestly, because before all this, ever since my 20's, low-key allergies stuck with me just constantly.  Shots mildly helped, stuff like Zyrtec always did, cutting out certain foods maybe I was more sensitive to helped even more, but it just sucked how sensitive I was and it was a daily part of life to always be sniffling a little and carrying tissues around (my mom swears it's also growing in sensitivity to our midwest area of the US.. plenty of people with allergy problems here!).  Imagine what years of that does to your nasal/inner/ear passages.  It got to the point where as my hearing got worse in recent years, the combo of already being a little more low-volume, plus slightly 'stuffed up'... I'm not sure what that does to your ears/inner pressure, honestly... kinda frustrating not being sure why your body won't quit reacting a certain way.  Daily, I was squeezing my nose and gently blowing, like that thing you do when you walk off a plane and are relieving the pressure in your ears again so you can hear clearly!  Obviously, I'm not allowed to do that right now, so I'm doubly 'muffled'!  ?    A few times so far, I half-yawned or swallowed hard or something, and all of the sudden, whoah!  My hearing side felt clear again!  Frustrating!  You guys get like that?  I'll bring it up again with him next time we talk.

You know... I swear part of it might be pressure (although my doctor never saw anything wrong, and it's interesting I never had pain, tinnitus, or anything else), but he was also concerned by the fact that both times he checked out my passages, I had moisture deep in there.  I admit I thought 'isn't that not unusual for people like us who annoyingly have to wear molds in their ears all day long?'  I mean... I constantly struggled with itchy moisture and ucky skin I was adamant about cleaning out at the end of every day.  But I also had another thought!  Ok, so despite living with it most my life, I admit I kind of suck with maintenance sometimes, lol.  Sure, I scrubbed my ears and molds at night, and dried out, but I can't remember the last time I remembered to get fresh new molds or replace the tubes except the last time they cracked a bit from brittle age.  I know, I'm bad.  But hey, when I try pushing my remaining mold inwards a certain way, it will get a little louder (until I let go again)... maybe the tube or seal just isn't as good now, or my passage has gotten a little shifted, and it will help to get a new one.  That doesn't explain how/why it can still 'pop' on it's own, but...   Wrote a note to my local hearing aid clinic that could help with just something unrelated/basic on a shorter notice like that, and hopefully stop in asap after this holiday weekend, before I go back to work next weekend.  Just rambling and sharing thoughts if anyone's ears were similar.  Ha... sorry...  just hopefully speculating! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Emily C.

I was thrilled to be rid of earmolds when I got my CI!  It is so nice having open ear canals again.

You may want to ask your CI surgeon about closing off your nose and blowing to open up your ear.  That may be off limits permanently.

I hope you feel better soon.

@Mary Beth .....  Oh, I know!!!

Thanks... I get it.  Just rambling a bit to give the 'whole picture' and mixed annoyance and amused ribbing to that constant darn state of sinus/skin sensitivity for years.... ugh.  And I know you're probably right, too... it probably is a really bad, sheepish habit on my part, too (unless I can encourage it in a gentle way, like with the yawning/chewing gum or something)... it just seemed to be the only thing that would 'open' it up sometimes!  Just frustrating, wondering the how/why and what others did, since between shots and diet and air filters and gentle cleaning/skin products and such, it never seems to go away completely..... and maybe will be a moot point after a new mold and my new ear picks up all the volume for me, again....  ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Emily C.

I have sinus issues often. I don't like having to take meds for it. I have heard that using a neti pot is good to clear the sinuses. I will probably have to order one online as I have not found one locally. 

Will you be using an EAS? I'm happy I won't as I hate having to wear anything inside my canal. I always get the cottonball effect. Right now my implanted ear feels clogged up. Maybe that's what you're experiencing too. Hopefully it diminishes in time. Do you plan to wear your HA in your implanted ear before activation? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel I've used a neti pot for sinus issues.  They're OK.  You could probably buy one in Miami when you go there for activation.  Since you seem to like to shop.  ?

• Haha 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel Yes, any pharmacy, or a Target.  Maybe even some supermarkets but I wouldn't bet on that.  Pharmacies for sure though.

@Daniel the Stranger i lift weights also last year when I had my first surgery I was so nervous about going back to lifting weights I waited a few months even though surgeon said ok after 2 weeks ..this year I don’t want to wait that long I’m 11 days post op and see my surgeon next Tuesday...now I’m not supposed to lift over 10 pounds until then ..how did you approach getting back into it after your surgery?last year I also waited until after I was activated to make sure everything was working ok ☺️