August, September & October 2018 activation dates

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @Emily C.

Sounds like all went well with your surgery. That's great! Which electrode array did you get? Get lots of  rest this weekend. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Great, @Emily C. - glad it went well!  Time to heal up and wait for activation!

• HearPeers Heroes

Super @Emily C.!  You have a CI now!  Smile.  Rest easy.  Keep us posted.

I do!   Thanks guys!   ;)    The pain was mostly from super-stiff/cramped neck (which still lingers) and a little on outside ear, better without the smothering bandage.  My ear still feels numb, though!  Got home before lunch Thursday morning, better energy, and I almost even wanted to still head up to the local evening music concert our little city holds every Thursday in the park during the summer, it was one of the last and favorite ones.  ;D   Before I left, my doctor's associate (and entourage of students, heh), checked me over, and did the thing with the end of a tuning fork to your temple, and I felt it better through the bone that time.  Hee.  I still worry a teensy little bit about straining anything or 'popping', which I felt it almost do once when I was trying to 'sniff' in the start of a running nose.  I'll be careful, and it's all good!

(But crud... sorry, I can't remember which array now!  My doctor was kind of like "that's just my end of things" when it came up, but I was curious to know for own record, and since you guys all seem to know what you have...  pretty sure was FlexSoft...  but one of the middle ones, not the longest?  26?)

• HearPeers Heroes

I am so happy you are feeling so good already.  That is terrific. @Emily C.

Your surgeon said it perfectly.  We need our surgeons to select the electrode array that is the best fit for our cochlea.  I actually have different arrays in my right and left ears.  They are both perfect.  Many of us just like learning about our CIs.  They are quite fascinating.  Here is a link to Med-El electrode arrays in case you are interested.

https://www.medel.com/data/pdf/21617.pdf

Rest easy. You will be very busy listening after activation.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 8/26/2018 at 7:14 PM, Mary Beth said:

It is an exciting time on HearPeers!  Please add on to the list.

August 29 @Emily C. has her first CI surgery!  Wishing you the best!  (Definitely not forgotten, smile)

September 12 @Emily C. has her first CI activated.

September 18 @sassychele02 has her first activation!  Soon the fun begins!

September 20 @Jewel has her CI activated.

September 21 @Jane has her second CI activated.

September 24 @DarlaHS has her simultaneous bilateral CIs activated!

October 2 @Nikki has her second CI surgery.

October 12 @Mary Featherston has her second CI surgery.

November 01 @Mary Featherston has her second CI activated.

It is going to be a fun time on Hear Peers!  Wishing everyone of you, and anyone else I may have missed accidentally, the very best!

Updated

@Nikki   “After” will be here before you know it ?I’m finally feeling more like myself..looking foward to us sharing our bilateral experiences together (you can see I’m feelings better up so early )?

• HearPeers Heroes

I love being bilateral. Don’t worry @Nikki it will fly by!! When’s activation by the way? 

On 9/2/2018 at 9:40 AM, Kara of Canada said:

I love being bilateral. Don’t worry @Nikki it will fly by!! When’s activation by the way? 

Thanks @Mary Beth @Jane and Kara my friends!

I can feel the time flying... keeping busy with work in days and music training every night!  My favorite past time!  @Jane i'm working on some songs to play to you and Angela when we meet

I'm so happy with the depth and richness of sound coming through my CI- music sound more natural every day

The surgery is less than a month away and the activation date will be given to me at the office after the follow up with dr Pillsbury, my surgeon.   I assume it will be early November. No date yet.

Hi guys, got a pre-approval date for my second CI. So far it is going to be in October 10.

I don't know when my activation will be, I will know on September 23 when I have my appointment with my Audi. I have an English and Spanish test that day. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

October 10 @Daniel the Stranger has his second CI surgery.

It is going to be a fun time on Hear Peers!  Wishing everyone of you, and anyone else I may have missed accidentally, the very best!

Updated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing @Emily C.the best on Wednesday for activation of her first CI!  Let us know how things go.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

October 4 @Marion nancy has her first CI surgery.

October 10 @Daniel the Stranger has his second CI surgery.

Updated

On 9/9/2018 at 8:13 AM, Mary Beth said:

Wishing @Emily C.the best on Wednesday for activation of her first CI!  Let us know how things go.

10 hours ago, Jewel said:

Hey @Emily C.

All the best with your activation tomorrow. Please keep us posted. 

Thanks.   Wheeeeeeeeee!!

Hey guys!  Kinda just crashed yesterday instead of posting.
Went pretty well.  Long day, obviously!
Wow... and you get a TON of stuff in the 'newcomer's starter kit' tote bag!

Mom insisted on going with me, all yay/curious, making a day out of it.  I admit I was more neutrally hopeful, kinda of 'ohhkay, here we finally are, let's just see how this goes'.  But it was cool!  She kinda jumped right into a prelim hearing test with just the beeps first and explaining my new bag of stuff to me, although I did want to quickly bring up wondering why, ever since surgery, my h.a. side felt skewed to mechanical sounding and 'stuffy' unlike usual from pressure or whatever (especially with no nose blowing).  I thought I'd get that skewed/mechanical effect afterwards, not before.  Dunno... hopeful will get both sides on an even keel.

But.  Obviously, then she sat me down and first time trying to get the hang of slipping it on without falling off (dang hair in way... I thought the magnet would be stronger!), and adjusting the volume thresholds, and then I'm on!  And holy crap, things are high-pitched!  ;D  Ok, so you read a bunch of accounts where people are all saying that and KNOW to expect it, and that it's all awkward at first until the sounds start balancing out in your brain, but oi... it's still startling!  And their voices as we chatted, relieved I still had the aid to balance 'tone' along with my new frequencies and volume, and the taps and clicks of everything and plastic wrap off my items she showed me, and my mechanical voice, and....   lol
And then she tested me with beeps again, and of course I scored much higher with the high ones.  :) And then the whole time home, with everything being higher, from utensils on plate, to car turn signal, to keys in the car, to running water, to (and this is my mom's favorite, and the best example I'm telling everyone), even on the very first day, we stood outside a moment and she asked what I could hear.  My world has been skewed to low-frequencies, so sure, yeah, it's weird getting all that, and fascinating, if not a bit grating at first (like, c'mon... awesome getting the 'highs' now, but where's my old 'lows'?).  But we stood there and I'm thinking what that high pitch repeated wavering sound....  oh... crickets!!  :D

So... yeah... it's a bit much but good and hopefully 'gah' at doing okay with the work and all the various 'ways' you can do that and getting voices to sound right again and just be good!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

Yup.  Overwhelming at first for sure.  Hang in there.

Your brain is going to be tired for awhile.  Enjoy your journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing @sassychele02, @Jewel and @Jane the best on their activations next week.  Three members being activated the same week may be a HearPeers record!

looking forward to following your journeys.

• Like 2