Mary Beth

August, September & October 2018 activation dates

I live in canada.  I do have fruit and other protein juices.  Not in the mood.  Daughter in law made a lovely potato chicken broth with soft sliced veggies.  Also fresh soft homemade bread.  I will try to dunk in soup to make soft.  Thank you.  Sleeping a lot and really like tea with honey and almond milk.

Milkshakes, fruit smoothies, juices, broths, soups, bring them all to me I love them!

Hello all! Reading through all this I feel like I know you all a little bit already. What a wonderful and supportive community. Wish I'd found this site several weeks ago before my surgery and activation! I have a Sonnet, and am not sure which actual implant I got - whichever one worked best for my ear. I have no hearing in my left ear, and my "good" ear was the implanted right one, so I've been effectively deaf for a few weeks while healing. My surgery was September 20 and activation was last Weds, October 3.  I'm on my fourth day post-activation and getting used to things. So far I am hearing mostly beeping but clear natural sounds for some simple things like footsteps, glasses clinking, or paper ripping. Speech is just beeps, and when I switched from one program to the next, I'm now hearing beeps with every syllable. Progress!  But I can hear piano notes with some clarity and pitch discrimination, so I have been playing scales and simple songs on the piano for about an hour each day. So relaxing and I"m sure it's good brain training. Takes me back to childhood, because I haven't played in many years.

It is such an interesting journey!  The most helpful app for me at the start was AB CLIX.  It’s free and works on iPads.  If you are now hearing static/beeps with each syllable, you are ready for CLIX level 1.  Have fun!

Welcome @Jenni M

Yes we are a very friendly group. Glad that you're making progress already. Looking forward to reading about your progress in the coming weeks. 

@Mary Beth @Jewel @Jenni M @Daniel the Stranger @Kara of Canada @Marion nancy @Nikki hello gang and anyone I didn't tag. Congratulations on activation and or CI surgery!! It's an awesome journey. I've been busy with rehabilitation and juggling appointments. I am loving the adventure. I hope one day I may be able to go bilateral ?. Happy Sunday to all. 

Day 3 and doing well.  The quiet is too quiet.  Hope my activation will go as well as recovery.  Nov 1 is the big day.  Best of luck to everyone 

@sassychele02

Great to hear all is well!

Hi @Jenni M and welcome!  Good luck with your rehab, it all pays off in the end.  And HEY @sassychele02 - good to see you!

My countdown to second surgery is 5 days!

Yes Friday is your day,at least you will have the weekend to rest up.Here is hoping you have no side effects. I was very lucky with both operations I sailed thru with no side effects 

Dave in Pittsburgh 

Forgot stay healthy no colds for now

@Dave in Pittsburgh - I was just skyping with an employee who has a cold and told him I might have to avoid him this week! 

I had my first surgery on Friday too, it worked out really well.  By Tuesday I was starting to feel much better and by Wednesday I started exercising again - I have a treadmill in the house.

Good decision stay away from bad germs.Good for you and the treadmill you have my permission to stay on it for extra 30 minutes for me

1 hour ago, Dave in Pittsburgh said:

Good decision stay away from bad germs.Good for you and the treadmill you have my permission to stay on it for extra 30 minutes for me

Ha!  I walk 11,000 steps a day for bone density.  I haven't increased my goal in a while, simply because I'm at the point where it is currently consuming the time that I have available.  At some point I have to sleep!

On 10/7/2018 at 11:13 AM, Marion nancy said:

Day 3 and doing well.  The quiet is too quiet.  Hope my activation will go as well as recovery.  Nov 1 is the big day.  Best of luck to everyone 

Day 4developed some rushing water sound in ear.  Is this normal

@Marion nancy

It is always best to ask medical questions to your CI team so if anything concerns you, I encourage you to contact your CI team.

Many people experience different tinnitus sounds after surgery.  This may, or may not, be what you are describing.

My right ear was completely silent which shocked me after decades of loud tinnitus.  My left ear sounded like a quiet marimba.

@Marion nancy definitely contact Sunnybrook but I would say sounds like tinnitus. Yes if that’s the case it’s very common. Had it with both. 

Thx.  Sent cheryl an email for tomorrow am.  No other prob.

7 hours ago, Marion nancy said:

Day 4developed some rushing water sound in ear.  Is this normal

@Marion nancy

I had the rushing water sound when I woke up in the recovery room but it went away after a day so I didn't check it out. Check with your surgeon. 

Reporting that surgery went well. Don't feel nauseated at all like the first time. Taste I still there, and no balance issues at all. I'm feeling much better than the first time. At this time I already had taken Painkillers in my first surgery. Today I haven't taken any so far. This hospital is also nicer, better views form level 5. :)

Edit: Just ordered some Ubereats from TGI Friday's lol 

Terrific @Daniel the Stranger

Rest easy.  You know the deal.

That's great @Daniel the Stranger. You're a pro at this. Is your head all bandaged? You should PM us a pic. Rest up. When is activation? 

@Jewel activation is the 31 October. Pic as requested lol:

Picture of the handsome guy

Glad everything went ok for you,I guess you are bilateral now?If so it’s great I had my second surgery in March .Will you be getting the Roger Pen? If so it’s a magnificent pice and it’s very easy to use and work with.

Good Luck on this new journey 

Keep us posted as to your progress 

@Dave in Pittsburgh

He uses AB. 

@Daniel the Stranger

Nice pic! Seems surgeons have different styles for bandaging the head. Yours looks so neat. Doesn't look like you got an earcup. 

Your ears are fully bionic now! Super!