August, September & October 2018 activation dates

Mary Beth

11 minutes ago, Jewel said:

@Dave in Pittsburgh Thanks, I don't have the Roger, to be honest, I haven't felt the need of paying for one as voices are super clear with a CI. I have a ComPilot though, very good to use with mobile phones.

@Jewel, he is actually very neat!, He didn't disappoint this time either. I hope stitches are the same way he did last time, a clean stitching and dissolvable ones. Last time he did use a cup I don't know why this time he didn't but I'm glad as I remember tha cup was very uncomfortable. He used gaze instead this time. It is midnight here an I'm still awake!! I asked for some paracetamol hoping that it is enough for the pain I have.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

If you only need paracetamol then that sounds like you have very little pain. Good for you! I wasn't so fortunate. Sounds like you're still in the hospital. When will you be discharged? 

@Jewel, tomorrow morning after the X Ray and confirmation from my doctor that the implant is properly inserted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Roger Pen works with AB too.  There is an integrated Roger receiver that can be attached to certain battery packs.  We use Roger in school with all 3 brands.

But I believe Daniel mentioned a plan to use the ComPilot.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - yes indeed.  Though I don't know yet what time to go to the surgery center - when we scheduled it I was going to be the second surgery, which would be around noon, but they said I'd get the early slot (7:00 am) if they have a cancellation/postponement.  I'm hoping they do, simply because the medical center is right in the city and if I have noon surgery we'll be driving home during rush hour, which adds a LOT of time to the drive.

But yes, very excited here!

• HearPeers Heroes

Just got off the phone with my surgery center.  Turns out that they had called my cell phone - I don't actually remember even giving them that number, as I tend not to use it for phone calls, just texting and email - so I'd never set up my voice mail.  Seems that the iPhone lets people leave voice mails even when I'm not set up to pick them up.  So today I happened to notice that I had a missed call and though, hm, that's the surgery center number, seems like they'd leave a voice mail, and I checked the voice mail on the phone.  I had to set up a passcode for it and once I did I learned that I'd missed a call from my surgeon's nurse AND from the surgery center (and my car dealer, they want me to trade up for a BRAND NEW CLA250, to which no thank you, I want to have a paid off car).  So I'm all sorted now, surgery's at 11:15 on Friday.

w00t!

• HearPeers Heroes
7 hours ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

@Jewel, tomorrow morning after the X Ray and confirmation from my doctor that the implant is properly inserted.

@Daniel the Stranger

I hope you get a copy of the Xray! They didn't Xray my head but I will ask a local doc to write up a request for me cos I wanna see what's in my head! Lol! 

You're next @Mary Featherston. Hope all goes well with your surgery. 

• Like 1

@Jewel last time they did a ct scan and I got the copy. This time is an X ray I suppose I will also keep the copy. Doctor came this morning, removed bandage, he was happy with how things went.

@Mary Featherston all the best for you today!!!

• Like 2

That’s great it’s in the Am don’t have to wait my second surgery was 230 in the afternoon didn’t get home unti almost midnight.

Car dealer just watching out for you,yes I have a 2017 and I am getting calls and email I finally went and told them no more

Stay healthy sounds like your doing good. What time wools you leave your house is it far

@Dave in Pittsburgh I wish I could get out of the hospital. Different countries have different ways of doing things. Here in Australia for example you need to stay overnight but you can wash your hair 24 hours after discharge. I have read that in North America they recommend to wait at least a week.

Here activations are usually 2 weeks after surgery and I have read a lot that over there it is common to wait 4 weeks after surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger

In the US, most people do not stay overnight but some CI centers do keep people overnight.  Rules about washing your hair vary from one surgeon to another.  I was allowed to wash my hair soon after surgery too.  Activations may average a month but many are activated sooner than 4 weeks.  So the theme here seems to be.......it depends.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger - I was allowed to wash my hair after a day or so.  My first activation was three weeks after surgery but this time it will be two and a half.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello all - back from the surgery.  I have a hubcap on my head and have slept off the effects of anesthesia (blech).  Pain is less than with the first but not nothing - manageable though!

So far all I can hear in my implanted ear is my own voice, but I don't know if that's liquid in the inner ear from surgery or actual loss of residual hearing.  I'm okay either way.

It's good go be home!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Jane - the surgery went well and I'm not having much pain - it's very manageable.  I've been contemplating my treadmill already but I think will give myself a couple of days.  ?