August, September & October 2018 activation dates

Mary Beth

@Mary Featherston at some point I thought myself of going to the gym to use the treadmill. Guess what? I just did the groceries last Friday with a friend and I got home more tired than usual of course.

I also have been having a manageable pain but same as the first surgery, I need to take some mild painkillers Paracetamol is called here for headaches and it has helped me for sleeping mostly. I told the doctor not to give me discharge painkillers as I still had the unopened box from the first surgery. So far mild painkillers every 6 or 8 hours is doing the job.

The day I was discharged I was thinking of coming back to work on Monday but I have changed my mind and just go with my feeling day to day.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger - my surgeon recommends staying home for a week, so that's what my medical leave paperwork says.  It's far, far easier to stay home than argue with the company that administers our short-term leaves.  They're a horrible nuisance.

I've taken a couple of the hydrocodones that they sent me home with, but the pain is abating and I doubt I'll need many more, if any.  Most of the pain is in my neck muscles right now.

It's a lot easier than the first time!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Rest up @Mary Featherstonand @Daniel the Stranger. Work will resume soon enough. Might as well make use of the medical leave.

@Mary Featherston

I don't think you should go on any treadmill right now. I don't want to hear that you felt worse after going on the treadmill. I didn't go on the treadmill but as you know I walked out a large mall just days after surgery and I felt awful by the time I got to the hotel. Just take things slowly. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I know, @Jewel - I won't be on the treadmill.  Last time I started up again four or five days after surgery, but went very slowy, adding a little distance each day.  I don't plan to start for a few more days yet.

I want to, but I know it's not smart.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Kara of Canada - I don't actually feel bad now.  No pain, and just a bit of increased tinnitus in the newly implanted ear.

I'll have to be careful sleeping, but it's kind of amazing how much better I feel now than after the first one.  This seems to be a pattern, didn't you experience the same thing?  And @Daniel the Stranger too, I think.

• Like 2

I agree @Mary Featherston, it feels so much better, much easier to get around. I also have increased tinnitus in my newly implanted ear, but it is not constant. I was listening something in my mobile phone with headphones and I can definitely hear the low pitch sounds in my newly implanted ear. I remember feeling nothing in my first one so, it seems to be a win this time.

Another way to find out is by brushing your teeth, I can feel the sound in my new ear but not in the old one. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I've been trying to decide if I still have any residual natural hearing in the newly implanted ear.  I can hear myself but nothing else.  I don't know if that means I've lost the hearing or if it may be a sign that once the healing from surgery is complete I might have some hearing left there.

It's a bit odd to be completely deaf without my processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

It was odd for me too.  You will get used to it soon though and then it will feel normal.

• Like 2

You know,  @Mary Featherston, feeling completely "blind in the dark" without processors on is what deterred me the most from becoming bilaterally implanted.   Right now I don't feel I have any residual left on the new ear, and it might be too soon to tell, but i'm okay with it either way.  

Here too this recent surgery felt much easier if this is what you and @Daniel the Stranger were saying,  I gladly join your club. 

I was worried about getting comfortable on the pillow and brushing my hair @Mary Bethmight remember me asking for tips on how to deal with all this but this time there's no issues and I've stopped the oxycodone on the second day.   So I feel very thankful.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nikki - that's what I've been angsty about since I became a candidate for CIs.  I was so focused on keeping my remaining natural hearing - and then I realized how little it really was, and it started to feel as though my left ear, with or without the hearing aid, was simply holding me back from hearing properly with the CI - I got to the point where I want both ears to hear through CIs.

So I'm okay if I did lose the last of my hearing, but also wouldn't mind if I didn't once I get my second processor.

• Like 2

I agree to every word @Mary Featherston

Feel the same here 

Btw

Activation date was given

Hook up on October 31st 

I can only wish for similar results like i have from my revision right side

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Do you have your home set up to be alerted while you sleep ....

vibrating smoke alarm

etc?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nikki - awesome!  I'll be getting activated the next day.  That's going to be a big week for people here on the forum.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

vibrating smoke alarm

etc?

Me or Nikki?  I have my husband - he can hear.  I have a travel alarm clock with a bedshaker.  Not a smoke alarm, but I've seen them available for traveling.  I may get one at some point, but I don't travel as much for business as I used to.

Just now, Mary Beth said:

vibrating smoke alarm

etc?

If you're asking me

It's no

I don't even have vibrating alarm

Need to get that too so i'll search the forum for it.   My cats would wake me up at correct time (when I specify tho them at bed time) but it happened before when they messed it up. 

2 minutes ago, Mary Featherston said:

@Nikki - awesome!  I'll be getting activated the next day.  That's going to be a big week for people here on the forum.

Yay!

1 hour ago, Nikki said:

Hook up on October 31st 

Good!! Mine is in the same day!!! Well "a day before" as I'm at the other side of the world ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

Good!! Mine is in the same day!!! Well "a day before" as I'm at the other side of the world ? 

Too funny!  I take that'll be Australia??!

Mine is only 1pm so that's like another eternity but eventually it'll get there :D

2 hours ago, Nikki said:

Too funny!  I take that'll be Australia??!

Mine is only 1pm so that's like another eternity but eventually it'll get there :D

Yes, it is! My activation will be at 9:15 am.

• HearPeers Heroes

23 hours ago, Nikki said:

You know,  @Mary Featherston, feeling completely "blind in the dark" without processors on is what deterred me the most from becoming bilaterally implanted.   Right now I don't feel I have any residual left on the new ear, and it might be too soon to tell, but i'm okay with it either way.  

Here too this recent surgery felt much easier if this is what you and @Daniel the Stranger were saying,  I gladly join your club. 

I was worried about getting comfortable on the pillow and brushing my hair @Mary Bethmight remember me asking for tips on how to deal with all this but this time there's no issues and I've stopped the oxycodone on the second day.   So I feel very thankful.

I’m in the club too! Yes it wasn’t much for me to be comfortable without soundas I did it have much before my second ear was implanted or activated. The pillow thing is taking a turn for the best finally. I can sleep for a few hours on the first ear and maybe half an hour at the most on the new ear which is almost 6 months in! Plus @Nikki and I will be at our mapping’s at the same time and day! Kind of cool!