XaVi from Barcelona, in Germany

XaVi

Hello Everybody.

I’m XaVi, I’m 40 years old, and I’m using the Rondo 2 device.

6 years ago, on the 22nd of July 2012, I had an accident with wrong descending doing scuba diving, and I lost around 95 % hearing in my right ear, especially the human voice frequencies. A tinnitus appeared as a consequence with a really high tone permanent affecting also the vestibular channel. Luckily the left ear is 100% health.

I was living in Barcelona after the accident, and there was no treatment provided. I just needed to accept the situation. During the last 5 years, I was living with the limitation of feeling permanently the tinnitus (the hearing loss for me was non-significant in my daily routine, I just learned to turn my neck around) 

I moved to Germany for work. After 2 years here, I was on a Hearing Test because nobody checked me, since I was here. After all tests, they explained I’m really deaf in the right ear and also have an annoying and higher tinnitus. I said “Yes, I know…for 5 years I have been dealing with this”  and the doctor answered “I know, but maybe we have a special treatment for you”. Since this day, my life changed on 720 degrees. 

After 3 months of deep test, I was a candidate for a cochlear implant. On the 14th of February 2018, I had the surgery and since the 14th of March a Rondo was added to my skin/ear/life. After 10 days, I didn’t feel the tinnitus when the device was connected and a sound goes inside.

After 5 months and 1 week using Rondo, they provided me with the new Rondo 2, just 2 days ago…

https://imgur.com/a/ZxHUOcm

XaVi.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello @XaVi and welcome to Hear Peers!

I am so happy that you relocated to Germany and were able to benefit from a cochlear implant on your deaf side!  And you are the first HearPeers member to have the Rondo 2 I believe.  I can’t wait to hear your experience with the Rondo 2.

Since you started a bit with the original Rondo and then switched to Rondo 2, did you notice any difference in the way the Rondo 2 sounds compared to the Rondo?

Has the Rondo 2 battery ever died before your listening day was over?

I am happy that your CI resolves the tinnitus while wearing the processor.  That is terrific.

Welcome.

Hello @Mary Beth. Since 5 months I'm following the Forum ... but since I have the Rondo 2 decided to post and share my experience.

I used 5 months the Original Rondo, and the Rondo just 2 days, and it's back to the adaptation training time.... Also I think is not enough time at all, but we are the same...

Sound:

The sound management is better: Outside, the surround sounds is autoregulated sometimes.

Inside the car, when I'm listening Electronic Music, seems the Triformance helps to identify or split the Sound Origin. With the windows closed, and a normal sound level, and a plug in the "Health" ear, I can hear much more things than before.

Also in the car, the sound of wind is better managed from the device, but for this I think I need to try better....

This afternoon was testing the Artone 3 Max Bluetooth provided by Medel: On "T" mode, I made a phone call and the sound quality was really much better. I need to clarify if was the Rondo 2, the Artone (Before was using the Geemarc iLoop V3) or both. Also I was listening a book and also I realize that the sound quality is much much better.

Battery:

The battery is charged in 4 hours. When it's done the Led under the device (see the pictures) was orange during the charging time, became dimmed, and no interaction between the charger and the device.

After charging, I used 15 hours (yesterday)  and 14 hours today and nothing, no alarm or anything. 

Next days I will try to stress a bit the device....

See you soon !

XaVi

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you! @XaVi

I am glad you started posting.  I am eager to learn about the Rondo 2!

Your CI journey seems to be going very well.  I am happy for you.

AxVi, glad to hear you already are using the new Rondo 2, I have had the original Rondo since my implant in January 2015 and can't wait to change over to the new Rondo 2 here in the USA. I have been stuck with the #4 magnet on my Rondo since day 1 (thick skull I guess) and that is my main reason to purchase the new Rondo 2. My question please is what number magnet are you using with the new Rondo 2? Missing three large p675 power one batteries has to be a much lighter unit is my presumption up front. I ware my Rondo at least 15 hours per day but around hour 12 or 13 I have to remove because of pain at the implant location. Here is the USA nothing is free even though I am 66 years old and retired and on Medicare which pays nothing for hearing etc. I don't care about cost seeing I am very busy from 7 AM till 1 AM everyday.

Thanks in advance for any info you can supply with and I can't wait for the Rondo 2 to be available her in the USA which may be as soon as the end of this year 2018.

P.S. I am not a Newbie but because of HearPeers being flooded with spam the last 2 years I have opted out more times than I care to admit. Thanks again.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Pat

I attended a Med-El Mingle event last month and was able to hold the Rondo 2 and place it on my head.  It is so much lighter than the Rondo. A friend has it and decreased magnet strength from her Rondo.  I am hoping to be able to do that too.

Hi @XaVi welcome to the forum!

For a moment I thought you were the one who played at Barcelona FC lol.

Hello @Pat !!!!

I started with the same Magnet Strenght as in my first Rondo (#3). I kept this setting because I don't use something to hold the device externally (clip). I'm bald .... Be aware that in the first Rondo Box, you can choose and replace as you  wish the Magnet Strenght ( a lot of were provided in my box), but in Rondo 2 Box I didn't see it, and the Magnet was ready to use inside the unit. Also for replace the magnet, you need a special tool, (not provided). That maybe means, we need to use our training center to change the Magnet Strenght.

I suggest to order the same Magnet Strenght (#4 in your case) and Test it, because is really different the feeling of the magnet.... Hopefully soon you will have the new device.

XaVi

• HearPeers Heroes

@XaVi

I wonder if we can purchase that magnet changing tool for those of us who live far away from our CI centers?

@XaVi hello! Welcome and I too am glad you got CI abd your tinnitus improved. Thank you for showing both if the Rondo s. I can't wait to receive mine here in the states. I will be following your updates too. You gave alit of interesting feedback and review if the new Rondo. I get activation next week and hope I have similar success. Great luck to you. Welcome ?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Great to meet new people! Welcome to the forum those new and old followers. I have loved this forum since the beginning of my journey when I got my surgery date for my first implant. So please keep us updated we all need to learn from each others experiences. Great to see so many people here!