Time to Discover Rondo 2.... ;-)

XaVi

I’m XaVi, I’m 40 years old, and I’m using the Rondo 2 device.

6 years ago, on the 22nd of July 2012, I had an accident with wrong descending doing scuba diving, and I lost around 95 % hearing in my right ear, especially the human voice frequencies. A tinnitus appeared as a consequence with a really high tone permanent affecting also the vestibular channel. Luckily the left ear is 100% health.

I was living in Barcelona after the accident, and there was no treatment provided. I just needed to accept the situation. During the last 5 years, I was living with the limitation of feeling permanently the tinnitus (the hearing loss for me was non-significant in my daily routine, I just learned to turn my neck around) 

I moved to Germany for work. After 2 years here, I was on a Hearing Test because nobody checked me, since I was here. After all tests, they explained I’m really deaf in the right ear and also have an annoying and higher tinnitus. I said “Yes, I know…for 5 years I have been dealing with this”  and the doctor answered “I know, but maybe we have a special treatment for you”. Since this day, my life changed on 720 degrees. 

After 3 months of deep test, I was a candidate for a cochlear implant. On the 14th of February 2018, I had the surgery and since the 14th of March a Rondo was added to my skin/ear/life. After 10 days, I didn’t feel the tinnitus when the device was connected and a sound goes inside.

After 5 months and 1 week using Rondo, they provided me with the new Rondo 2, just 2 days ago…

https://imgur.com/a/ZxHUOcm

ADAPTATION:

I’m experiencing again the feeling of getting used to wearing a new device, the sound processor seems the same, but my brain needs to adapt again. The headache appears daily, but it’s a common issue (a paracetamol helps).

In comparison with the connection of Rondo, now I adapt faster.  I remember the first days with Rondo, and the aureal sounds from everywhere….. Now because maybe my brain knows the sounds, that made it easy…

But back to the new device: the sound is being processed in a different way for sure. The sound is adapting, sometimes I feel the surround volume of one sound is decreased automatically.

The best difference is when they setup into the office, when device is wired to the computer, the sound on Rondo was different if it was connected with the common batteries (with batteries the sound were aureal). Now with Rondo 2 the aureal sound when plugged in, disappear.

HARDWARE:

The unit is more compact and uniform, it seems ligther but I can say, I don’t feel it, really, I’m with the same magnet strength and I don’t feel I’m wearing it. 

The battery is the best part of it: You just need to do an easy outside clean and put it to be charged. Nothing else. To charge is really easy, no cables, no batteries, just switched off, turn around (face down) and put on the platform. 1 minute is enough…. And for the environment is necessary.

A lot of accessories came in with the box, but I miss a lot the silicon protector that was provided with the first Rondo.

The covers are really easy to change, and they have really funny designs. If people look at me surprised, now they will see me fashionable !!!!

The battery accessory seems easy to use, but let’s see when I use it …. During the upcoming weeks I will test the battery’s lifetime ...  

If you have any questions, I will be glad to help you. 

XaVi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Terrific report.  Keep us updated as you adjust to the Rondo 2.

Wishing you the best!

@Mary Beth. If you can see on the pictures, on the rear part is a soft plastic part can be opened and show the connector, and you can connect the cable of the battery pack. I don't say Mini, because wear a AAA battery, plus the device and the Leather protector, is more than a lighter. ..

• HearPeers Heroes

@XaVi

Smile.  I agree with you.  Although it is called a mini battery pack, it is not small at all.  The connector piece is unique to the Rondo 2 but the rest of the pack seems to be the same as for the Opus 2, Rondo and Sonnet.  The reason I am interested in that mini battery pack is that I am bilaterally implanted and hear nothing with my processors off.  I never get the up to number of hours for any type of processor or battery.  So I am concerned about running out of battery power on the Rondo 2.  I would either have to hear nothing while it charges back up again or resort to that mini battery pack.

Sometimes when we travel across time zones, our listening days are longer than 18 hours.  Or when a family member has a medical emergency, etc.

It’s interesting that things sound different to you with Rondo 2 since it still uses ASM 1 and an omni mic.  Did you by chance also get a new MAP when you received your Rondo 2 or is it the same MAP that was in your Rondo?  I think the mic placement may make things sound different too since the Rondo mic was protected under that wind block piece and the Rondo 2 mic is more flush with a filter in the mic cover.

I look forward to reading about your experiences.  Thank you for posting.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you, @XaVi - I am waiting for my Rondo 2 but it's not available here yet.  It sounds as though your CI experience is going very well!

Hello @Mary Beth,

Let's think in a positive way... A complete cycle of charging takes 4 hours. 2 hours for a half cycle .... and in a rush case, maybe a faster charger can help more.

Also the charger comes with a USB cable, can be plugged on a any USB slot, for a time when you are doing something in the laptop, and can charge one and still use the other one

I didn't test it yet how it sounds with the external battery pack. Maybe on the weekend will test it.

But we need to focus more that this a emergency situation and we need to be more cautious and don't go for a party so long....  ?

Regarding the MAP configuration: They kept the same configuration was in Rondo, just performed the Hearing Balance Test, but changed a lot..., jeje,  the medium volume level for the frequencies were really different, but was a simple and basic setup. In the upcoming appointment, the Settings Test will be different, I hope....

Regarding the Mic and wind: This a matter affects me a lot, because a thin wind outside it's a wind storm in my device, also with the Rondo, and the same with Rondo 2. I'm decreasing the volume when the Wind is coming. Need to check with the audiologist how to decrease this effect on the device because it's really annoying.... 

With the Rondo was riding bike and was listening a book on "T" mode, because if I use the Mic....A wind tale nightmare in my brain.... But this is because I have a "Healthy Ear" and can do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

It's interesting to know about Rondo 2 from people that use it. I read about USB cable to connect  to the charger. This is interesting, because you could connect a power bankf if you are in the middle that a travel. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly, @Valentin - I'll bet getting Rondo2s and will be traveling next spring.  I'll have to decide which processors to take and, if I use the Sonnets, which batteries.  We always to end up charging a lot of stuff when we travel, so adding the charger for the CIs doesn't bother me at all.

• 3 weeks later...

@Mary Beth @Mary Featherston @Valentin 

Hello everybody !!!!!!

First of all , sorry for the delay .....  Was on Holiday Time in Barcelona with my daughter. ?‍?

During this time in Barcelona, I tested really deep the battery consumption.?

One day stayed 21 hours active,  just adding 45 minutes charging in the evening. I had the mini-battery pack but didn't use it yet !!!!! ?
For the rest of the days, mainly more than 16 hours active and never been hear the alarm of the batteries !!!!

I need to say too, that this Holiday period I set my Device in really Lower Volume, because in Barcelona is really much louder than Germany, and I can survive without hearing deep.

But when I was in front of the sea, I set up more louder (normal) and can hear the waves.... AMAZING !!!!!?

Now, back in Germany, the Device is set is normal Volume or even High and still using 16 hours Activate, and no battery beeping.

I ordered 3 new covers, and now can change everyday accordingly to the mood. Also for the black ones, I can create my own designs with vinyls, because I have a Silhouette Curio Cut Printer (I will share my creations with you).

One week ago I had the first review in Cicero Centrum in Erlangen (DE):

We adjust the levels a bit more louder and finally get full open connection to the all features in Fine Tune (6 months visit).

I reported that the device every time when I fit in my skin, I can hear like system need a small adjustment (like 3 breaks in one second...). Because I have the other ear, I can deal it, but I'm worried if you will be feel the same...  They didn't know about this issue, and just reset the device. 

Now, after one week, this "adjustments breaks" still happening but I don't put attention and force the CI to work more time and more powerful.

3 days ago, I bought the Magnet Loop for the Living Room. I'm using with the pad on the sofa, and it's an Unbelievable Experience: the TV Sound is really inside the CI and I can hear all !!!! All the details, all, I was crying..... ? Also can adjust to hear deep and no Louder, the best investment !!!!!?

I would like to ask to you, because I'm a bit worried if this coil pad, put in the sofa can produce something wrong to my body, because the signal is crossing all my body to arrive to the CI, and I don't know if all this waves are ok to our structures.....

Thanks and sorry again for the delay??

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Xavi, Great Report!.

I didn't know about minibattery pack of Rondo 2. I have one for Rondo, but really I look it something uncomfortable to wear it. I was worry about Rondo 2 if it have no power supply to charge in some days but the battery pack could be used at emergency" situations.

Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great report @XaVi!

I wonder if what you hear when you first put on your Rondo 2 each morning is your internal Synchrony magnet spinning to align with your Rondo 2 magnet?  I hear mine do that.  Could that be what you are describing?

• HearPeers Heroes

@XaVi - sounds like a great trip to see your daughter!

I'm not understanding the loop system you describe.  It's not a neckloop, from the sound of it?  Do you have a link?

@Mary Featherston  the pad:  https://www.humantechnik.com/en/products/induction-loop-amplifiers/inductive-loop-pad/  

the magnet loop: https://www.humantechnik.com/en/products/induction-loop-amplifiers/la-240/

@Mary Beth  Is like during one breath, the system is adjusting like "chck chck chck" and then is connected.... Maybe it s this synch you talk about, but with the original Rondo didn't hear never.....

• HearPeers Heroes

@XaVi

That’s very interesting!  Keep us posted on the clicks you hear when you put it on each day.  If you take it off your head mid day just for a moment and put it back on again, does it do it?

• HearPeers Heroes

@XaVi

When you look at the bottom of your Rondo 2 where the magnet is located, is it in the locked position?

I enjoy reading your posts and learning about the Rondo 2 from you.  Thank you for posting.

650C5FFD-5F6E-4026-B6CD-A51BB164D61C.png

@Mary Beth  I was testing a bit and each time I plug in my skin made this Chck Chck Chck Sound in one second or breath. And when I'm changing to a programs with Lower volume, I can hear also...I don't want to consider this as issue...

And yes, the position Magnet is Locked. ??

• HearPeers Heroes

@XaVi thanks for the links, that's interesting - I've never seen that before.

• HearPeers Heroes

@XaVi

When I use my Fine Tuner to change programs, I hear beeps.  It may be a setting our audiologists can alter.  I like hearing the beeps from my Fine Tuner as it tells me the command was received.

Sharing your experience is helpful.  I do not see your posts as complaining but rather reporting your experience.  Keep them coming!

• HearPeers Heroes

Beeps is that I hear as Mary Beth comment. It can be disabled by your audi. Xavi, ask him about change frequency and volumen. I prefer to hear the sound because I´m sure that the processor receive the signal of finetuner. In other way if I put the finetuner in the a pocket and press any function button, you can realize about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:10 AM, XaVi said:

Hello @Mary Beth,

Let's think in a positive way... A complete cycle of charging takes 4 hours. 2 hours for a half cycle .... and in a rush case, maybe a faster charger can help more.

Also the charger comes with a USB cable, can be plugged on a any USB slot, for a time when you are doing something in the laptop, and can charge one and still use the other one

I didn't test it yet how it sounds with the external battery pack. Maybe on the weekend will test it.

But we need to focus more that this a emergency situation and we need to be more cautious and don't go for a party so long....  ?

Regarding the MAP configuration: They kept the same configuration was in Rondo, just performed the Hearing Balance Test, but changed a lot..., jeje,  the medium volume level for the frequencies were really different, but was a simple and basic setup. In the upcoming appointment, the Settings Test will be different, I hope....

Regarding the Mic and wind: This a matter affects me a lot, because a thin wind outside it's a wind storm in my device, also with the Rondo, and the same with Rondo 2. I'm decreasing the volume when the Wind is coming. Need to check with the audiologist how to decrease this effect on the device because it's really annoying.... 

With the Rondo was riding bike and was listening a book on "T" mode, because if I use the Mic....A wind tale nightmare in my brain.... But this is because I have a "Healthy Ear" and can do it.

The sound of the wind does not bother me, I feel it very soft and as background does not muffle the sounds of speech. I use rondo 2 in bilateral with sonnet.