This had been a scary day.

sassychele02

Hello my HP support group. This is off off topic but I wanted to share. In the last 24 hours I was really in a great place recovering from CO surgery and supper excited about my upcoming activation day. Out of no where I began to have mild stomach pain then at 11pm hubby called An ambulance because I fainted. They found nothing wrong even though I complained about weird stomach feeling and dry heaving. 4am I still didn't feel right to begged hi by to take me to hospital.  By the time we made it to the hospital I was literally in tears. I've lost over 250 pounds from gastric bypass so I had to make sure they Knew that and that I just had CI surgery. They had no clue what that was and I was adamant that I told each nurse that came in that I was deaf. Long story shorter. I was shocked to hear that I needed an emergeny appendectomy. I had it done at 820 this am and was released by 12. My husband was with me but sometimes he " forgets" lip reading is extremely difficult for me right now.  What have any of you done to communicate in an emergency situation? Is a medical I'd bracelet a good idea? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh no @sassychele02, sorry to hear about this. Glad they diagnosed the problem quickly and attended to it. I hope you recover quickly. Maybe a medical bracelet is a good idea. 

• HearPeers Heroes

No itchiness. I just removed the bandage from my head. Feels better now but now I have paste on my face! Not sure how to remove that. 

There is gauze over the tape covering the wound. Not sure if ok to remove that gauze. 

I wasn't allowed to move my gauze until I went for 1st post op. You have such beautiful hair. I'm curious if your Dr gave you a time frame on when you can wash it. They completely shaved the left side of my head. The horror!! So now i wear scarves on my head  until I can get a custom hair piece/ wig. Where my implant is I have a knot and very noticeable swelling. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Since I still have the gauze covering my wound, I am not sure how much hair was removed. I will have a look tomorrow. 

Did they forewarn you that they would remove so much hair? Sounds excessive. 

@Mary BethBethBethBethBethBethBethBBethBethBethBethBethBethBethB am I the only one that gets this craziness when I tag someone? And can't delete the extra part of tagged person's name???? Anyway. Mary Beth. I have more pain from the appendectomy than my CI or bariatric surgery. I'm surprised they kept me only a few hours. Throat hurts from the tube during surgery and real pain as my meds wear off after a few hours. Before we knew what was wrong with me in emergency room I really felt like I was dying. Relieved when they gave me a diagnosis and whisked me in for surgery. So now I have CI on left and appendix removed on right. Its gonna get interesting in how I sleep this week. LOL 

• HearPeers Heroes

@sassychele02 - yikes, what a day.  At least it's something that's routine for the surgeon!  I'm sure you'll be fine now.  I hope you can sleep okay.

I have started wearing a medic alert bracelet.  I didn't when it was just not hearing (though come to think of it, that's a good idea).  But even though my implant is MRI safe, it still worries me that the processor could fly off in a car accident, and the ER people might put me in an MRI not knowing that there's a protocol to follow.  And even though the magnet probably wouldn't fly out of the side of my head, it might rotate violently enough to dislodge the implant.

I'm not sure I'm not overthinking it, but that's what I have on my bracelet :  cochlear implant, see wallet card for MRI.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh I forgot to answer that part.  I already was wearing a MedicAlert bracelet so I added CIs.  MedicAlert has an account number linked also to info I upload.  I uploaded info about my CIs and Med-El USA phone number etc.

Thank you @Mary Beth and @Mary FeatherstonFeatherstonFeatherston ( here we go again with the site additional last names). So much for the Model update. Lol. Anyway. I will definitely get a medic bracelet for both CI and gastric bypass surgery precautions. 

Thanks for informing us, I have asked our support team to solve this tagging problem. Will keep you all informed!

Thanks, 
Mary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Shops you feel better soon @sassychele02  I know it can be real rough sometimes. Been there too. 

• Like 1

@Kara of Canada thank you. Yes it's been a uphill battle times. A person definitely learns they can bear more than they ever thought. 2 surgies in 3 weeks and Monday is thd first day of school  her e. I'm overwhelmed with limitations but taking it one day at a time. The HP boards and new friends and support here had made a huge difference in my perspective. 

@Mary Beth I'm frustrated I can't do much but sticking to both surgeons directions. I'm not one to patiently wait on other people to do things I ask them to do...and then not do it myself.  For example. My husband says baby anything I can do for you. I said yes. please put away the clean (already  folded mind you) laundry I'm tired of looking at it just sitting there. ... Guess what he does??? He grabs the LARGEST trash bag he can and dumps them in..?Then closes the guest room door so I don't / can't see them. Hilarious right???but annoying for someone with lifting bending  restrictions. Lol. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh my goodness @sassychele02your husband is funny!

How long do they expect it will take for you to heal from the appendectomy?

Please don't push yourself hard as that will impede your recovery. 

@Jewel yes he's a real comedian. Lol. 3 weeks for healing from the appendectomy with a bland soft foods diet this week??