Hello from Louisville

DarlaHS

On 23 August, just a few days ago, I received bilateral cochlear implants. The first two days were the worst for pain. But as each day arrives I am feeling better. I see my surgeon for post-op on 31 August. 

I’m glad it is done but the sound of nothing is starting to make me looney. Not use to so much quiet. 

Nice to meet everyone. I am 54 and reside in Louisville Kentucky. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @DarlaHS!  Sounds like things are going well.  When is your activation date?  You'll be learning to hear via CIs in no time!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello @DarlaHS and welcome to HearPeers!  Congratulations on your simultaneous bilateral CIs!  You must be so excited for your activation!

I look forward to following your journey!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello @DarlaHS. Welcome to HPs! 

Congrats on your surgery. You're brave to do both ears one time! But it makes sense! 

Your activation is just around the corner so enjoy the silence while you can cos once you're switched on you will be hearing noises galore! 

Looking forward to reading about your journey. 

Seems that you're off to a better start than me. My surgery was last Tuesday but right now I'm in pain. 

Hi @DarlaHS I just had my second CI August 24...you are the first person I know who’s become bilateral same surgery..wow that is very exciting !my activation is 9/21..when is yours ?

I am physically feeling very good. No pain at all. 

But I do find that I get frustrated because I cannot hear my spouse. Im sure this is natural, right? It is just so quiet and I don’t like it. 

I will be activated on 9/24. I am so excited and am hoping for the best. 

466A31DB-291B-445D-BB37-8D9006AB54C7.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow @DarlaHS,

Your surgeon shaved off a lot of hair, but you're healing nicely. Try to enjoy the quiet right now. You will be bombarded with sounds come September 24.

• HearPeers Heroes

Have you tried using speech to text for understanding your spouse while you await activation?

it will be a quiet few weeks but then the fun will begin.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth have a good idea the speech to text. I give you two other. ideas. Use Google/apple speech regognition. I' using it a huge in whatsapp now. and other, The years I was deaf, until a few months after the activation, my wife wrote to me in a notebook. It's more rudimentary, but it works! Guaranteed. I keep this notebooks as souvenir ?

Please understand that I am not complaining. It is just that the nothingness is so quiet and lonely at times. 

The app we are currently using is “Live Caption”. It is through apple on my iPhone. It works great with my spouse, Doctors, anybody I need to communicate with. And the best part is it is free!

Thank you for your responses. I already feel like I know you all and you are like family. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

No worries.  We are a friendly group.  It did not sound like you were complaining.

Spending weeks in silence is quite a challenge.  I’m glad you have an app that is helping with speech to text.  

@DarlaHS yes I can imagine the time in silence is challenging especially after going through surgery..my family also uses my whiteboard with me when I don’t have my processor on..again I feel you’re very courageous to do both ears at one time (and get the surgery over with !) activation time is quickly approaching and you will be very busy :)

@Mary Beth I’m doing well..feeling better everyday..less pain and swelling this time ..a little more dizziness but that’s ok..I was given prednisone this time to try and spare what little residual Hearing I have ..didn’t get it last time ..maybe it helped the pain and swelling..I kept a journal last time so it’s interesting to look back how I was last surgery!

getting excited about activation..

thanks for asking ?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow @DarlaHS kudos to you! I wish I could have done both at once. It is quite overwhelming at first after activation for me anyway. I heard all kinds of sounds right away and everything was too loud! But it definitely gets better and I have not regrets going bilateral! I was shaved just as much as you were. Mine is finally growing back. On the new side it’s about four inches long now. Takes time! Best of luck with activation! It’s when the wild ride begins and the hard work too!