Newly Activated Users

Emily C.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Mary @MED-EL Moderator.

Unfortunately my audi is in the US and I live in Jamaica so I have no choice but to try to fix it myself. 

Thanks so much @Mary Beth for bringing the matter to my attention. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I was able to open the covers with no problem just like the woman in the vid! So now both magnets are set to 5+! Whew! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

You may want to check with your audiologist about your magnet strength since 5+ was lowered.  Glad you are a DL-coil cover pro!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

You mean 5+ was increased? It was 5+ all along until Thursday until she changed it to - 5.

Hopefully she will have a 4 I can try in November. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Your audiologist wanted to decrease your magnet strength.  Just wondering if touching base with her now that the strength isn’t lowered, may be a good idea.  Just a suggestion.  

I tend to be extra cautious with magnet strengths.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Just heard from my audi. She said putting it back to 5+ is fine and she apologised as she wasn't aware that magnet 5 should not be put in the - position. 

So that's one less problem to worry about. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good - I hear ya, with keeping it in place!  Wow... quite a few more new people getting 'started up' since I checked in!  (or 'older' regulars getting a second one, or still progressing with what we've got).  So how's it been going with all that?  ;)

It's nice to have this friendly group to fall back on, but I guess (like previous posts) I just didn't have a whole lot to ask, or touch base with yet, after the initial flurry in the very beginning.  But now it's been...wow... nearly two months, and still okay.  Tinnitus isn't too bad, but still a pain sometimes.  The site itself still randomly 'stings' every once in a while, just super briefly (and a couple times, deep inside my ear).  Just blood rushing?  How long did that typically last, for you older users?

Things I still have yet to try out (mostly due to time flying by being occupied/distracted with other stuff first or just having the 'right moment'): the waterproof sleeves, and my Roger pen.  Ha... how about you, @Jewel ?  I remember a previous post, we both commented not trying it yet, mostly because was just getting used to hearing things first!  Amused, because I remember during my long research period, I was quite excited about the idea of still being able to hear when I went swimming, but haven't been to the pool in ages.

As for the pen, well, it just hadn't come up yet (and was giving myself time to just get used to the new hearing in general, first).  It's not like I have many instances where I need a focused/long-distant mic.  But I thought of another reason I should break it out and try playing with - not to guilt myself or anything, but felt like I don't always keep up on focused 'practice' the best - real life interaction and tv shows, sure, but struggling with the online/app-based audio narratives that still sound garbled in their tinny-ness. But I'm sure some of you loved using audio books to help, too, right?  Bet it sounds a bit more easily conversational, and can read along?  I'm thinking that sounds cool... I'll get the next book on my reading list, buy the audio version on my phone, and use the pen to link my phone and implant so I can stream it straight to my head, right?  ;DD    Cool beans.

Talk to ya later!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

I am glad you are doing well.  Training with audiobooks while following along with the printed text is helpful.  Both Audible and Scribd tend to offer one month free trials so you may be able to download the audiobook for free.  Many libraries also offer loans of free audiobooks.

I like using the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop with audiobooks because nothing has to be plugged into my phone (it streams via BT from phone to neckloop) and this neckloop is so light and small.  It allows me to choose T setting on my processor and completely block out all environmental sounds so I just hear the audiobook.  I use it everyday.  In fact, I have 2 so one is always charging up in case I have a long audiobook listening day while working on projects around the house.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes
38 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Emily C.

I am glad you are doing well.  Training with audiobooks while following along with the printed text is helpful.  Both Audible and Scribd tend to offer one month free trials so you may be able to download the audiobook for free.  Many libraries also offer loans of free audiobooks.

I like using the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop with audiobooks because nothing has to be plugged into my phone (it streams via BT from phone to neckloop) and this neckloop is so light and small.  It allows me to choose T setting on my processor and completely block out all environmental sounds so I just hear the audiobook.  I use it everyday.  In fact, I have 2 so one is always charging up in case I have a long audiobook listening day while working on projects around the house.  Smile.

I don't know about Scribd but Audible also gives me one free audiobook each month.  I think I've only actually paid for a couple of them, but I have about ten books queued up.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Scribd is a flat fee ($8.99/month) for unlimited audiobooks.  You can download them onto your phone.  I love it and is has saved me a lot of money.

I joined Audible this summer to access some books that were not available on Scribd.  

I have become addicted to audiobooks!  

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Emily C.

Like you I've been really busy. I haven't done formal rehab every single day. I just tried out the Roger Pen with the TV. I just put the Pen in the docking station in front of one of the speakers. TV sounds really tinny. I wouldn't be able to make out much if there were no captions. Idk if the TV is so tinny cos I am not doing daily rehab. I hardly ever watch TV. 

This past week the sounds sound a bit muffled. I'm sorry that my audi only gave me 1 new program to hold me for the month. I am gonna insist on four programs when I go for my next mapping. 

When is your next mapping? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - is it just the TV that sounds tinny?  I had tinny for quite a while, my audiologist said that it was the higher frequencies that I never used to hear, that often it takes longer to get them integrated into normal voices.

Do you think your muffled sound might be a need to change the mic cover?  I have been wondering if you might have more need to change them more frequently since it's warm and humid where you live.  Heading into winter here I suspect I might not have to change mine for a while!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

No, besides the TV, music also sounds tinny. These last couple days my own voice sounds tinny or muffled at times as do some people. But earlier in the month everyone, including me, sounded natural.

I noticed that once I tuned off the Roger Pen my own voice didn't sound too clear, but when I changed the battery cover to the regular one my voice sounded better, meaning less tinny, and much clearer. 

I hope it's not time to change the mic cover. That would mean that I would have to change the mic cover every month! As a test I guess I should try the backup processor and see if my voice sounds the same. Will have to try that tomorrow night. 

3 hours ago, Jewel said:

No, besides the TV, music also sounds tinny. These last couple days my own voice sounds tinny or muffled at times as do some people. But earlier in the month everyone, including me, sounded natural.

I would say it is time for a new mapping. What you are experiencing is similar what I did. Your brain is asking for more, therefore sounds are too soft. Once you get a new mapping you will start hearing a lot of things again and probably after a few weeks sounds are going to feel soft once more. This will happen until you reach a stability on your mappings. I wouldn't worry too much but certainly is something to discuss with your Audi.

In regards to rehab, I just did like 2 weeks of proper rehab lol, I have been a very bad student!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Jewel

If things sound the same with your backup processor, then it’s probably a sign that you are ready for a new MAP.  

If things sound better with your backup processor, you may want to disconnect and reconnect the Sonnet pieces.  If that doesn’t help, think about changing the mic cover.  I have to change my mic covers every 2 months to maintain optimal sound quality.

I like having multiple programs on my processors.  This lets me have different mic setting options for my Sonnets and also gives me the ability to increase volume slightly if needed before my next appointment.

When is your next appointment?

• HearPeers Heroes

I had that pattern too, @Jewel - except you are doing it much faster!  I need a new MAP but my audiologist doesn't want to do it during my Thursday appointment - that's reserved for activation in the other ear.  I may just grovel a bit though and see if she won't make some adjustments as I'm tired of the echo.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

My next mapping appointment is November 8. I'm not sure what you meant by disconnect and reconnect the Sonnet pieces. Right now a I do is remove the battery cover and put it back on. Please clarify. 

My audi didn't tell me about M or T so I'm guessing I don't have those settings yet in order to use the Artone. 

I do notice that with this last mapping I now hear the AC in my office as a constant buzz or static but if I change the program to the old program 3 from an earlier mapping I don't hear the AC at all, which I kinda like. Guess you can't have everything. Idk why my audi gave me back the old program 3 when I had moved up to program 4. Obviously program 3 was too soft for me which was why I progressed to program 4. I know that I did remark to her that my voice in program 4 was very loud but I do miss the clarity. Guess she should have let that program remain instead of giving me the old program 3 as my backup. Even to listen to a vid on my phone it all sounds like gibberish to me now. Argh! 

I still have problems differentiating between M and N; as well as D and B. Would a mapping help with that or is it that I need to practise more? 

@Mary Featherston

When was your last mapping? I don't see why your audi can't tweak it for ya while you're at her office. Then again maybe she will want you to only use the newly implanted ear for a couple weeks. Just two more days to go until you're bilateral!!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel  my last mapping was September 25, so it's quite a while.  I'm hoping to convince her that a tweak won't hurt.  It's really annoying right now.

You do have M and T, though, those are not part of your map, they're integral.  If you want to try to Artone, put it around your neck and set your Fine Tuner to T or MT and see what you can hear!  If you pair your neckloop to your phone with bluetooth and set your processor to T, the phone call is surprisingly clear.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

As long as your audiologist gave you access to MT and T on your Fine Tuner, you have those options.

Once in awhile if my Sonnet sounds off disconnecting and reconnecting the pieces helps.

-battery pack disconnects

-DL-coil cable disconnects

-as well as the battery cover, as you mentioned 

Many audiologists leave our previous MAP in a program slot.  This way if we have trouble with a new MAP, we can return to the past MAP.

m/n took a lot of aural rehab training for me

Aural rehab is our friend.  It speeds things up and makes clear phoneme errors that we can not train out.  Sometimes our audiologists can then make slight adjustments to our MAPs to help us.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I will give the Artone a try. Gotta charge it first. But my audi has never mentioned M or T to me. 

@Mary Beth

I tried the backup processor and it was very clear. I'm gonna have to dismantle the other processor as you suggest. Hopefully it works. I really don't want to have to change mic covers every month. 

I will also try to be more disciplined with the aural rehab. I'm just so exhausted after secular work! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I actually take the battery pack and battery cover completely off my Sonnets each night when I put them in the dry kit.  

Glad your backup processor sounds clear.

One quick way to see if MT and T controls are active on your Fine Tuner is to sync your Fine Tuner to your backup processor that sounds clear, then press T. You should hear a beep and your Sonnet mics will mute.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

How do I sync the Fine Tuner to the backup processor? The audi didn't show me how. 

Can you tell that I am yet to read the manual? ? I just read that section and synced it. I turned on T and heard nothing so guess T is working! 

Gonna charge the Artone! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

You mean you separate the rechargeable battery adaptor from the control unit? I can't figure out how to remove that part. It isn't covered in the Manual.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Jewel said:

@Mary Beth

How do I sync the Fine Tuner to the backup processor? The audi didn't show me how. 

Can you tell that I am yet to read the manual? ? I just read that section and synced it. I turned on T and heard nothing so guess T is working! 

Gonna charge the Artone! 

Put the magnet on the Fine Tuner and press the return button.