Introduction and hello

Kathleen M Gardner

Hello all, 

My name is Kathy, and I have been bilaterally implanted since 2004 and 2007.  I have recently received notice that my Opus 2 equipment will become obsolete as of 10/19.  I have to decide which new device to exchange for.  Can anyone give me feedback on the Rondo?  It sounds more convenient, but the battery life (with the rechargeable battery) seems short .  The Rondo2, not yet available in the US has longer battery life.  What are the pros and cons of the Rondo as opposed to the Sonnet over-the-ear device?  Thanks for your replies, 

Kathy

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Kathleen M Gardner and welcome!

I received that letter as well since I have OPUS2 processors.  When did you receive your OPUS 2s?  Mine are still under warranty and Med-El is honoring the full warranty.

Since the Rondo 2 is supposed to be available in the US sometime this fall, I expect you will be choosing between Sonnets and Rondo 2s, right?

The Rondo (original) uses disposable batteries that last between 3-5 days.  Mine last a bit more than 3 days.  I love the Rondos, especially for water use in waterwear covers.  I hear just as great with the Rondo as my OPUS 2, except if in a restaurant booth with a strong voice immediately behind me.  I use the same MAPs on my OPUS 2 and Rondo processors.

Look under the Rondo 2 topic here for everyone’s posts about the Rondo 2. (Including user posts from people in countries where it has already been released).  I put on a demo Rondo 2 at a Med-El Mingle event this summer and was amazed at how light the processor is!

I have Sonnet processors and use them everyday.  We needed to modify my MAPs quite a bit to get things working right for me with the Sonnets.  The automatic conversion of my MAPs did not work for me.  The Sonnets have 2 mics which can help in noise.  I prefer staying in the mic setting that uses one mic (omni) because I like full access to sounds from all around me and prefer the deep bass tones in music.  Adaptive is a great mic setting in noise.  It works best if noise is behind us so sitting with our backs to noise is best which may go against our natural inclination to put our backs to a wall.  Smile.  There is another mic setting called natural.  Natural was too restrictive for me.  I was missing sounds I had previously easily heard so I use omni.  Sonnets are larger than the OPUS 2 with the XS battery pack.  They do sound more natural. The rechargeable batteries only last 10 hours so we must swap them out mid day.  We can use 2 disposable batteries which last a bit more than 2 days for me.  Sonnets require mic covers to be changed every 3 months and need a tight fit from the battery cover in order to work correctly.  The battery covers are under warranty in the US for one year.  The kit came with some mic covers and then we order more as needed-either self pay or insurance depending on insurance.  The biggest feature of the Sonnets for me is their built in 2.4 wireless connectivity.  However Med-El has not released the AudioLink which is the intermediary connecting item so that feature remains dormant in the Sonnets.  I don’t think the AudioLink has been released anywhere yet.

Artone 3 MAX BT NECKLOOP works with both Sonnets and Rondo 2s. 

Good luck making your decision.  Feel free to ask more questions.  We have a lot of Sonnet users active here and are just getting some Rondo 2 users.