Activation September 20

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

Well guys I'm finally fully a CIBORG! 

Got activated first thing this morning. My surgeon saw me in the hallway and sat in on my entire activation. He even recorded the part when I was switched on! 

Well all electrodes are working. And I found out that my CI audi, the original one, had ordered the Sonnet EAS but when they tested me this morning before activation it was clear that I have lost much of my residual hearing. So they didn't use the ear mold part. I'm glad for that cos I never wanted anything inside my ear. So I'm surprised that the audi ordered that without consulting with me. The CI magnet is 2 and even with the one that the new CI audi who did the evaluation, a magnet of 5, dropped! So I don't know how it's gonna go. 

I wasn't able to wear the CI until I got a clip to hold the cable so that if anything slips it doesn't fall to the ground.

At activation all I heard were cricket sounds and whistles and like I was hearing an alien. But a few minutes after I put the CI again this afternoon with the clip in my hair suddenly I was hearing my voice from the CI! It still sounds robotic but I am happy to be hearing words of some sort. 

The audi said I should read a book aloud and watch TV. I asked about rehab apps and she said I can proceed. Doesn't look like she would have recommended the apps if I didn't mention it. 

It wasn't until I reached home that I realised the difference in the ear hook. I'm wondering whether I can just get a regular earhook to replace the EAS earhook. I don't like it. Plus my ear is small. So the ear piece is still falling from my ear sometimes. 

The CI audi said that it may take me 6 months to make out speech if ever. I hope that she is wrong. 

I'm gonna immerse myself in rehab. There's so much to read! I'm not feeling overwhelmed though. 

I'm looking forward to my journey. 

Yay!   Kinda like me (although I'm not sure how bad off your hearing was compared to).   Med-El's 'SoundScapes' on the site are useful.  But I thought you'd use the 'newly activated' thread so we can all share our newbie stories as we go.... ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel Angel Sounds is really good for the first  little while. I also used AB Clix was better for me. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

yay!  You started.

A headband may help until your interview swelling goes down.

I thought the Sonnet EAS kit came with a Sonnet CI earhook.  The EAS earhook has a green band and the CI earhook is completely closed at the end.  Med-El advises using the CI earhook when using it as a CI so the moisture protection is in place.

Sonnet EAS can be used as Sonnet CI but Sonnet CI can not be used as Sonnet EAS. Some centers may order the EAS just in case there is residual hearing that would benefit from EAS.

AB CLIX is great for starting out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth. I finally went through the stuff in the box and found it. Someone sent me a YouTube video and I was able to change it. It hasn't fallen off my ear since I changed it! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Btw @Mary Bethwhile having dinner I hit the cutlery against the plate and it sounded like I was playing the xylophone! Wow!

I also watched a vid about half hour ago and could actually hear some of the actual words! I'm really enjoying these baby steps! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

The first time I dropped a pen on a wooden table a few days after activation, it sounded like a bomb went off.  I kept dropping the pen over and over again and telling my brain...this is a pen hitting a wooden table.  Smile.

It’s a fun ride.  Although quite tiring on our brains at first.

How long are you in the US?  When is your next appt?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Surprisingly my brain isn't tired yet. Wonder if I should move to the next program. The current volume is just normal to me. Not too low or too high. The audi didn't say how I'm to know when to progress to the next program. 

I leave next week Friday. My next appointment is the day before that. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

At my activations, I was given 4 programs (increasing in volume) and I was to get through all 4 in one week.  Maybe your audiologist is using a similar approach?  You will know when to move up because things will seem quieter.  I advanced through those 4 programs a bit too fast because I was craving more volume days before my appt and there was no more volume to move up to.  Smile.  So pace yourself.

I perceived it as speech walking away from me when it was time for more power.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth.

I found the volume very low at dinner. I was tempted to change the program. What I didn't ask her is the program I left her office is program 1 or is that the first step up from the activation program? 

Then finally at dinner I couldn't hear a thing. I figured it may be the battery so I changed that and it was up and running again. So I will take your advice and pace myself. 

• Like 1

@Jewel hurray!! Congratulations!!! I so can't wait to follow your journey. I was so happy and excited to read this forum. A brand new world of sound!! A true Miracle and Blessing!! I cannot wait until it's my turn on the 24rh!! It is amazing you're experiencing real sounds! I did my happy dance for you today. ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad you don't have to wait too long @sassychele02.

Forgot to mention that I met Fellow HP @Jdashiellafter my activation appointment in the waiting room. Was so nice to meet in person. Hopefully I get to meet other HPs down the road.

Rooting for ya @sassychele02

• Like 3

@JewelThank you. September 25th praying Mother nature diest theow be another curve ball. Lol. That was fun I'm sure to meet a fellow hearspeer when u saw @Jdashiell!! That's a nice surprise!

• HearPeers Heroes
18 hours ago, Kara of Canada said:

@Jewel Angel Sounds is really good for the first  little while. I also used AB Clix was better for me. 

I found both of those apps, AB Clix AB iAngelsounds to be the best available for adults 

i still refer back to them and remember using them heavily early on. 

Remember, 3 Ps- patience, practice, perseverance 

I agree that angel sounds and AB clix great apps right from the beginning..I was just activated today for my second CI and used them a little when I came home ?I was given 4 programs and told to change to the next one ever every 2-3 days ..I return to my Audiologist in 2 weeks .i think pacing oneself is a good idea ?

@sassychele02

Good luck next week I know how you feel I felt the same until today !

Jane

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel!!! I'm so happy you're hearing.  I used AngelSounds a lot, it's helpful while your brain is sorting out the frequencies.  I also like audiobooks, there are some websites where you can listen to the book and read along, or you can use Audible and an actual book.  Do fun things!  Watch TV or movies with the captioning on too, I found that very helpful.

Yay!  This is so cool.

• HearPeers Heroes

It was so great to finally meet you..

keep us all posted on your progress 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Great photo, @Jdashiell and @Jewel!  You are two good-looking CIborgs.  I have enjoyed having conversations with other CI users while I wait for audiology appointments - it's happened twice now.  But never anyone from the forum.

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Jewel said:

Here's a pic of @Jdashielland me immediately following my activation appointment. 

ActivationDay.jpg

‘‘Tis is funny I was thinking the other day that it would be awesome for you two to meet up! 

• HearPeers Heroes

So I went for my first mapping since activation. All the audi has been doing is increasing the volumes. 

She was amazed at the progress I have made in just one week. She had expected it to take me a few months. So she decided to test me with some sounds and block her mouth. I only missed one! 

Also, I turned on the speaker for Google Maps as we drove later in the day and I could hear the female voice giving directions! Totally awesome! 

I belive that this CI is really gonna be life changing for me. Happy dance again! ?????

• HearPeers Heroes

You deserve every WOW moment @Jewel.  You worked very hard to get your CI.

I am soooo happy for you!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth.

I must say thanks to you and all the other HPs who have helped me along this journey since last year. If it wasn't for this forum I may well have chickened out after my January appointment. I'm so happy I didn't and although it cost me a lot of money it was well worth it. 

And I'm happy that I chose Med-El. Voices no longer sound robotic. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s still early days for you @Jewel.  Just wait.  It gets so much better!  It will continue to blow your mind.

• Like 2