Activation September 20

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I liked preboarding for several reasons including I don't have to concentrate too much to make sure I don't miss when they call my group; they don't tell me to check my carry-on since the compartments are empty when you pre-board; I'm able to have my meal before we take off (meal bought before boarding) so I'm totally relaxed. I enjoyed the experience Thursday, so I think I will do it again. 

@Mary Beth

I tried out all the different programs. Omni was loudest and I could hear the ceiling fans going. Speech was very clear but when people speak too close to the microphones it's annoying. I settled with adaptive. I will keep experimenting in the coming weeks.

I believe all of you love Omni so I will see if I eventually love it too.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - I completely understand.  When I'm alone I would do the same, but most of the time I have Ron to listen for me so we wait.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I believe most are using Natural, actually.

And that is Med-El’s recommendation so if Natural works for you, you may want to stay in it and use omni and adaptive only for specific situations.  Just a thought.

Natural isn’t a good fit for me so I stay in omni and use adaptive only for specific situations.

We are all different.  Whatever works best for you is the right choice.  Thankfully we have options.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

My audi did remark that the aim is to keep me in Natural so I guess that if I didn't request Omni and Adaptive she would not have given them to me. 

It is nice to have options though. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Every audiologist seems to do things differently with the Sonnet mic settings.

I think we should all be given all 3 settings after we have reached a stable MAP.  The omni mic program may need to be decreased in volume for some users.

Omni is best to hear in waterwear, to hear people talking behind you in a car, to reduce wind noise.  For me it also provides fuller bass tones in music and gives me access to sounds from all around, which I prefer.

Natural is recommended by Med-El as the main setting.

Adaptive is terrific in noisy places so a fabulous mic setting for those situations.

With all 3 settings, users can experiment and figure out what works best in their lives.

• 1 month later...

What is natural setting.  I have one for regular noise and one when I am say in a restaurant setting. Do not kno which is whic

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

Med-El calls the 3 mic setting options our audiologists can set each program to Natural, Adaptive and Omni.

Sometimes our audiologists use other words when they describe them to us.  If you ask your audiologist which programs are natural, adaptive and omni, she will tell you.

Natural is mostly fixed focus to the front and what Med-El recommends we use in most settings.

Adaptive rotates and focuses in on the sound and is best in noise.

Omni treats sounds from all directions equally.  Med-El recommends it for waterwear use and to hear people behind us in a car and says it is best in wind.

I prefer to stay in omni almost all of the time.  Everyone is different.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I think I'm gonna ask the audi to reduce the volume for the omni. No matter which mic setting I use now while driving I still have to contend with what sounds like wind noise. But even when the car is stationery and I'm listening to music I still hear this thing that sounds like wind noise. It's the most annoying thing for me. My audi said I would have to learn to live with it but if omni could cut the wind noise for me I would have no complaints otherwise. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I was hoping that sound had disappeared for you.  Do you notice the same sound when you are a passenger in your car?  When you ride in other people’s cars?  Although it sounds like wind to you, if there is not actually wind moving over the mics I don’t know if the processor treats it as wind.  And it is rather common to have the omni mic setting set to a different volume.  Others do that too.  For me, it is not an issue because we build my MAPs for omni and then adaptive is based off of my omni MAP.  That is not very common.  But it works awesome for me.

I hope you figure out how to get rid of that annoying sound.  Sometimes there are sounds we need to learn to tolerate or ignore.  For me it was plates.  But that sorted itself out in time.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I have noticed it in most cars. I have the problem even when I'm a passenger. 

My audi wants me to stay in Natural but I sure want to reap the benefit of the omni so I will ask her to reduce the volume for omni. 

It has been almost 4 months. I just changed the mic cover and the wind noise is even more annoying! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Have you tried adaptive mic setting in the car while either the radio is on or a passenger is talking with you yet?  Adaptive should knock out noise the best.

Omni in the car expands access to sounds from behind you so it is good when you are in the front and listening to people in the back.

I don’t think omni will get rid of the sound you describe.  But you won’t know until you try it.

Is a moving car the only time you hear this sound?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I have tried all the mic settings while driving and all have the wind sounds. I work about 2 blocks from the sea and occasionally on a very windy day I will hear similar noise while walking to my car. 

The adaptive knocks out the ac sound at work but doesn't help with the wind noises while driving. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I’m sorry that sound is still a problem.  Please let us know when you find a fix.  If I think of any ideas, I’ll let you know.  Good luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel this is probably something you've already tried, but have you turned down the intensity?  Whatever it's called, the buttons on the Fine Tuner with ears on them.  I've done that in the car when the road noise bothers me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Yes I have tried to do that. I lower the sensitivity until I hear beeps indicating that I can't go any further and it doesn't make much difference. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Some people have special MAPs designed to use just in certain situations.

Some people have

-noisy place MAP

-music MAP

-work MAP If lots of factory noise 

If you can describe this sound to your audiologist and ask for a special MAP to use in the car, maybe she can create one.

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope so @Mary Beth.

I am sorry that at one appointment she had me leave with just one program on my fine tuner. So I wasted one month with no programs to experiment with. Now that I am paying for my appointments I'm gonna make sure I get my money's worth this time.