It's the Little Things

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

So this is my second day since being activated and I got some lovely surprises. I was able to eavesdrop on my mom's conversation with my brother, mind you just making out a few words here and there but it was awesome cos their backs were turned to me. They were surprised I could do that. I was never able to do that with my HA. 

Also while driving I heard a sound I haven't heard in over 5 years but it was so familiar: the sound that the indicator makes when you're signalling that you gonna turn left or right. 

I'm appreciating these baby steps. 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

These are huge steps @Jewel for your first few days!  You are off to a terrific start!  Enjoy!

• HearPeers Heroes

Ha, @Jewel - one of the things that really amazed me was hearing my husband speak in another room and to be able to hear him.

Honestly, I had no idea how much he talks to the cats and the TV, it's the weirdest damn thing.  ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Today I heard the elevator announce the number of the floor it was about to arrive at. Also when I was in a store I was able to pick up some of the beats being played in the background music. It picked up beats that the other ear missed. I was like "Wow!" 

• Like 3

Congratulations @Jewel  for that promising start.

I also had a nice experience this week, for the first time I could hear the sound of the shock when getting out of my car.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Someone just called my number. Nobody has this number. Anyway the person called twice so the second time he called I decided to answer. I put the phone on speaker. I couldn't make out the first thing the guy said but when I told him he has the wrong number I heard him say "Okay thank you." I have never been able to hear a call on a phone for several years! This is absolutely marvellous for me! Happy dance! ????

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I'm wondering if I can call Telephone for Confidence and practise using my cellphone while I'm up here. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Telephone with confidence is a free phone number.  It should work.  

• HearPeers Heroes

So today we are driving and my mom is sitting behind me. She asks me for a mint and I heard her! I think she was testing me. I am amazed at my progress so far. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

She sees that it is really a wonderful piece of equipment and that it was money well spent. She's hoping that I hear even better down the road.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Terrific!  You will hear so much better as time goes on Jewel!  It’s early days yet.  Enjoy your journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I was just in the waiting area by the gate waiting to board the plane and I could hear the woman speaking over the PA system. I have never been able to make out those announcements in years. In fact I have almost missed my flight in the past because of that. 

Today's wow moment! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Terrific @Jewel!  You are doing so well so quickly.  It’s such a fun journey.  I kept a private journal of all of my WOW moments.  It is fun to go back and read them from time to time.  My CIs feel like a natural part of my body now but every morning I still marvel at how I go from hearing nothing to hearing so much just by putting them on.  I am grateful every day for this gift of hearing.  Wishing you many many more WOW moments.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel you seem to be a natural at this - you're progressing so fast!

I had a WOW this week too.  I wrote about it in my blog but forgot to mention it here.  I listen to music in the car on all my commutes, and just this week realized that I can hear myself clearly and well enough to be able to sing along and be in tune.  I've been warbling like a huge bird all week.

Birds do sound quite a bit better, though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So yesterday I attended an assembly in an open auditorium, meaning it has a roof but no walls, only pillars. The ceiling is about 20+ feet high and speakers are installed in the ceiling. The auditorium can hold 1500 people. I sat in the fifth row and was surprised that I could make out most of the program with just my Sonnet. I didn't have to do any lipreading. I was even able to make out what the speakers were saying when my head was buried in my notebook. Is that awesome or what? ?

Funny thing is now I can hear all the babies crying in the audience. In fact a baby was crying on the plane before the plane took off. Once I removed my sonnet, I could rest in peace while the other passengers had to contend with the crying! ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

My new thing is hearing the dogs toenails clicking on the pavement. I know it’s kind of quirky but I’ve never heard it before.