It's the Little Things

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

I never knew that the timer for my oven beeps when the time is up until yesterday when I was cooking and had my CI on! I love my Sonnet! 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel amazing isn’t it?! The CI/Sonnet is a wonderful tool ? when I was first switched on I couldn’t believe how many things beeped in the world!!!! Enjoy every moment!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

We have a clock in the kitchen - are you all familiar with a Kit-Kat clock?  It's a cat and his tail goes back and forth with the seconds.  Turns out it also makes a tick-tock sound.

• HearPeers Heroes
  • 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

This morning I was getting all my processors together because I have an appointment with my audiologist this afternoon.  I decided to bring both Fine Tuners (I have Sonnets paired with one and Rondo2s to the other) and stuck them both in my pocket.  Then I leaned over to reach something on the table and accidentally changed the program on my processors.

This is the CI equivalent of pocket calling with your cell phone!  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

I was just talking to my audiologist about that - I never do remember how.  🙂  

@Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

The best thing about locking the Fine Tuner is that you can use it while it is locked!  It just requires pressing buttons twice instead of once.

Fine Tuner Lock

Two arrows 5 seconds, then right arrow.  Then double click while in lock mode to use keys.  Unlock by two arrows double click then hold down 5 seconds, then left arrow.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Mary Beth - I don't actually have a problem most of the time.  I wouldn't have any reason to carry both Fine Tuners.  I thought I might want to test the changes to the Rondo2s and so brought it with, but it turned out to be unnecessary anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So a few days ago a friend mentioned to me how she didn't like that I always told her not to speak to me while I'm driving. I don't think she has gotten it into her head that I'm deaf. This is someone who has known me since I was about 9 years old when I had normal hearing. 

The next day I drove her and three others to the country. The journey each way was over an hour. I was able to hear and make out about 95% of what they were saying while I was driving! I was wearing my Rondo2 and I didn't use the car program and the wind didn't bother me maybe because there was so much chatter in the car! 

I don't think I would have heard so well if I was wearing the Sonnet. I definitely need to get the Omni put back on my Sonnet! 

The things people take for granted mean so much to me when I can now do them pretty effortlessly. My CI really has changed my life! Thanks Med-El! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

My family just told me that they saw a little girl, around 6 years old, who was the splitting image of me when I was that age. She was wearing two cochlear implants!

I hope I bump into her and her parents one day! I would love to know whether she did the surgery here, etc. 

Nice to know that there are other CIBorgs on this island 😊

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I had a really nice day today.  I went to the Arboretum and walked the three-mile drive.  While I was walking I found that I could hear the conversations of others on the road - not just noise, but understand the words, at least sometimes.  And I heard the peepers when I walked by the wetland. 

And when I drove home I turned on the music and that sounded better too.

So, wow, wow, wow!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

It sounds like you have entered the awesome zone when both CIs work well together.  I am happy for you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Yesterday I was able to use my new superpower for real:  we had an 8.5 hour flight and a toddler two rows ahead screamed for at least three of those hours (intermittently throughout the flight).  I just popped the magnets off my implants.  🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I managed to catch a cold (figures, as I have a four-day weekend) so I'm sitting in a chair at the far end of my bedroom.  The window is open and I can hear the birds in the trees outside.

The wow part is that I'm at least sixteen feet from the window.