It's the Little Things

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

Since you have dogs I understand. I have no pets but I'm hearing the birds, lizards and crickets outside my house everyday. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah. I love the birds frogs crickets all those things. The Cicadas were crazy loud this summer. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

I had to Google cicadas as I have never heard of them. Turns out the very same insects have flown into my house on occasion and I couldn't figure out what they were. So now ironically I'm looking forward to seeing one so I can hear what sound it makes! ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

The cicadas were insane this year.  I was in the lunchroom at work and could hear a noise that I couldn't identify.  There were two co-workers in there too and they had to stop and listen too.  Finally we realized it was cicadas - it was no one's first thought because we were indoors, and the cicadas were outside.

• HearPeers Heroes

I know the feeling @Mary Featherston cos right now I'm in my dining room and I'm hearing all the insects outside and they are very loud! Note that the walls are 100% concrete. I had no idea my yard was no noisy at night. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Can you hear the flight of the insects? Does this happen when the auditory thresholds are above 20DB ?? In bilateral?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sonia

No insect has flown past me since activation so idk yet. I'm unilateral though. 

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Jewel said:

@Sonia

No insect has flown past me since activation so idk yet. I'm unilateral though. 

I've been up to my brother's cabin twice with my CI and neither time did I hear insects in flight.  Got a boatload of mosquito bites in June, though.  I'm not going to hear anymore this year, either - we had snow yesterday and it was 29 degrees F when I got up today.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I can't fathom such a temperature. It's in the 90s down here so we always have insects. At least you don't have to worry about them until next summer. How are you spending your days? In bed? Out and about? 

• HearPeers Heroes
11 minutes ago, Jewel said:

@Mary Featherston

I can't fathom such a temperature. It's in the 90s down here so we always have insects. At least you don't have to worry about them until next summer. How are you spending your days? In bed? Out and about? 

On Friday when I got home I slept for a few hours - that pretty much let the anesthesia wear off.  I've been sleeping longer at night too, but during the day I'm mostly in my chair, I have a sort of easy chair that's comfortable to be in with my laptop and books.  Overall not bad at all!

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So I haven't been to the movies in years because I can't make out anything and I would feel depressed while others enjoyed the movie. Fast forward to today, I'm in the 6th week since activation and as I entered the cinema I could make out most of what was being said in the trailers as well as most of the movie I went to watch. I wanted to cry! 

I only have one implanted ear but it looks like it will be enough for me thankfully. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - that's awesome!  I have been to exactly two movies in the last 25 years.  Couldn't hear either one, and haven't tried again.  Maybe one of these days.....

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Just do what I did. Go and see what you're able to hear maybe in January. You may be pleasantly surprised. Lmk how it goes.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I am so pleased with the Sonnet. I'm at my friend's home now and I can hear her TV far better than I do mine! Guess it's because mine is about 10 years old so newer tech is better? 

I don't understand why I can't really make out people who are talking to my side or behind me as I was a few weeks ago. Could it be due to the mapping? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

New audio tech (car radios and TV) sure do deliver better sound quality.  We have 2 Subaru vehicles.  Love them both.  Mine is 2011 and our other one is 2015.  The difference in the sound system is huge!

The Sonnet makes our audiologists choose a mic setting for each program.  Basically there are 3 mic settings and the mic settings impact how sounds from the side and behind are treated.

omni mic setting uses one mic that catches sounds from all around us.  This is my personal favorite.

natural mic setting uses 2 mics and has a fixed front focus to best catch sounds from in front of us.  (Technically I believe it is fixed front for low frequency sounds and omni for high frequency sounds but the overall perception is sounds to the sides and back are dampened.). This is a popular mic setting and many do well with it.  For me, it is too limiting.  It’s like wearing auditory blinders.  I don’t like reduced access to sounds from the sides and rear. There are many other users who also find it too restrictive.

adaptive uses 2 mics which use beam formation to focus in on the location of speech.  Like a moving spotlight.  This is best in noise.  It works amazingly well in noise for me.

If you had been in omni mic setting with access to sounds from all around you and are now in natural mic setting with a fixed focus to the front, that could explain what you are experiencing.  If your mic setting has always been set to natural, I am not sure why it seems different to you now.  My only suggestion is to change your mic covers and see if that helps.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

This could also be related to just needing a new MAP since there are no speechreading cues from the side or back of us.

In the early days, when I needed a boost of volume and new MAPs as my auditory system was adjusting before becoming stable, I used to describe it as sounding like speech is moving away from me. It was a clear sign that I was ready for a new MAP.

Fortunately, things do stabilize in time and I have had appts where we did not need to adjust the MAP at all.  You will get there too.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth

I will ask my audi. Idk what settings I was being given since activation. I know the last two mappings were Natural. 

I don't want to change my mic cover when it has just been 5+ weeks since activation. I think I only have two or three mic covers in my kit and I have not been able to place an order for more using the webshop. So hopefully all I need is new maps. 

I have spent all afternoon with a friend I haven't seen since surgery. I found I had to look at her lips most of the time to make sure I was understanding her. She talks fast. I have a lot more work ahead of me. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel  5 weeks is still so early on your journey.  Even though you started off so fast, there is still a lot of awesomeness in store for you.

If you are in need of a new MAP, things may become a bit more difficult until your appt but then you will get boosted back up.

My journey went like that in the beginning. My journal entries show I was very eager for new MAPs!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel sounds like you are doing amazing! I loved reading through the posts on your progress. Congrats on all the WOW moments ? Like MB said you might be due for a new MAP. Can you use the FineTuner to boost the volume a bit or try one of your other settings to see if that helps? I went to the Audi so many times in the beginning, now it’s once a year unless something comes up

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I'm eager to see what more awesomeness awaits me! I see my surgeon and audi this coming week so I don't have too long to wait. After sending my last post I noticed that I wasn't looking at my friend's lips anymore but I had to look at her face (sitting in the car) to know what she was saying. I hope I get several maps this week. My friend started testing me with the radio. I was able to hear BBC news very well when the car was stationery but I couldn't make out much once it was moving. I definitely need to train more in nose. 

@Megan L.

I haven't adjusted the volume since this mapping but I should check if I'm able to increase the volume. I do find the volume comfortable but sometimes the clarity isn't there. Also I don't understand why for some people I hear them pretty well with the current program but for a few others it's like my preCI days. Maybe if I increase the volume it would be better. I usually encounter this problem at a coffee shop even when there aren't any customers but me. Idk if the workers speak really softly or it's me who needs more volume. 

Also my audi only have me one new program at my last mapping. The other program I have is one I had previously but the volume is too low. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel have you been keeping a journal of all the things that don’t sound good so you can talk it over with your Audi? If it’s specific sounds your Audi may be able to adjust certain settings to help. Also, I noticed that the people I’m most familiar with are the ones I understand best. Strangers are hit or miss even after 2 years. I’m not saying I don’t understand them but maybe not everything they say due to a number of things (surroundings, tiredness, how clear they speak, etc). I also have an “office” setting on my fine tuner because people tend to speak softly at my work and plus I wanted to be able to hear what people were whispering about ? You’re doing great Jewel!!! Keep practicing and playing with the fine tuner!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

I keep a hearing journal but it's probably not comprehensive enough. I will try to make a comprehensive list before my appointment. 

I would love an eavesdropping setting too! Lol! Apparently someone said something behind my back literally yesterday and my coworker told her to be careful cos I can hear now. Unfortunately I have no idea what she had said. But I see that people have probably been taking advantage of my deafness for quite some time. Can you imagine sitting in a meeting and others are talking about you and you have absolutely no clue? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel the list will only help your Audi get your MAPping right ? so the more detailed the better!

My office setting is awesome on my fine tuner. I forgot my fine tuner one day and I could tell the difference. I don’t understand why people talk like they’re in a library!!!! I believe it. People are extremely ignorant and extremely ballsy. I think it’s time to give them a dose of their own medicine or at least let them know you’re aware of what they’re saying (even if you don’t - fake it til you make it!). But no matter what don’t let it affect your confidence or distract you from the great things you are experiencing in your hearing journey. You are doing wonderful!! Stay positive and focused ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1