Bilateral Bliss

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol I was the same. But sometimes when I get a cold it gets bad.  So lo and behold I got a really bad one three weeks before surgery. I lasted till the week of surgery. It was cleared up enough they were ok with going ahead. Of course they wanted me to have antibiotics in me but I did that right away. So it was a go! Second surgery was much more laid back for me. I knew my surgeon and he knew my crazy anatomy. So it was smooth sailing! So I wish the next Guinea Pigs all the best on surgery! @Mary Featherston and others I can’t remeber names right now 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Kara of Canada - I'm pretty sure I'll be okay at this point.  I got antibiotics with my first surgery too.  I'm just not good at waiting!

• HearPeers Heroes

Me either! I HATE HATE waiting. 

• Like 1

@Mary FeatherstonI know just how you feel I was worried also about getting a cold ..the week before my surgery at the last appointment I had scheduled with a trainer I work out with he said I won’t get too close to you I’m getting a cold I said oh no I really can’t catch your cold ! He then agreed it was best to cancel me and the rest of this clients for the day and go home ! I thought to myself this is a reason not to schedule CI surgery if you can avoid it during cold and flu season ! Just rest up since you’re really in the home stretch .i was so glad I was fine the morning of the surgery and glad to have it over with !goid luck I’m excited for you it’s much easier the second time around !

Jane

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Here is my bilateral WOW moment of the day.  I would love to hear yours too!

After decades of never knowing where sounds were coming from, it amazes me that my brain now hears in 3-D.  This afternoon in high school English class I was seated next to a student in the second row.  The teacher wanders around the room sometimes as she teaches.  Today she was reading aloud as she wandered around the room.  I kept looking straight ahead.  I didn’t need to look at the text because I understood her fine.  While I was listening, I realized that I was picturing her in the room as she moved.  I knew exactly where she was at all times just by the way her voice sounded in each ear.  Hearing in 3-D is so awesome!  I love my CIs!

8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Here is my bilateral WOW moment of the day.  I would love to hear yours too!

After decades of never knowing where sounds were coming from, it amazes me that my brain now hears in 3-D.  This afternoon in high school English class I was seated next to a student in the second row.  The teacher wanders around the room sometimes as she teaches.  Today she was reading aloud as she wandered around the room.  I kept looking straight ahead.  I didn’t need to look at the text because I understood her fine.  While I was listening, I realized that I was picturing her in the room as she moved.  I knew exactly where she was at all times just by the way her voice sounded in each ear.  Hearing in 3-D is so awesome!  I love my CIs!

Good, you already hear the movement of sound without losing its intensity.

One day you will still be able to hear the shape of the sounds in 4D if you put the sound source in front of you to hear the volume of the sound if you have both ic with equal maps.

Bilateral bliss ..yesterday I tried to see if I could hear talk radio on my car radio..I wasn’t able to with just one CI..but being bilateral I was able to hear and understand pretty much all  that they were saying..first time in several years ..it was VERY EXCITING! 

Jane

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

For all of our bilateral users who have had their implants for awhile already....

which side is your dominant side...first CI side, second CI side or do they function the same for you?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan

It would be cool if we could do a poll of bilateral users who have had each CI at least one year to see the results.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan

My sides are very balanced.  I can use either side for the phone.  I think I tend to hold the phone in my left hand because I am right handed so I can take notes.

I have asked many bilateral people and answers vary.  Some prefer the first CI, Some the second CI and some feel balanced.

@Mary Beth

i think my righthandedness has had an impact on my using my left hand for the phone also. 

I would guess there are are many different reasons for preferring one CI over the other as there are users who have  such a preference. For me, I’m happy to feel so balanced!

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, I'm only four hours into this.  I can say that while my second CI sounds exactly as a newly activated CI would be expected to sound (namely, pretty bad) the two together already sound better than either of the two individually.  That's particularly cool.

I'm looking forward to getting the new one rehabbed to the point where voices sound a bit more normal!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

My bilateral journey started as a step backwards as my second side started off with marimba and whale ? song!

It’s so fascinating how everyone’s journeys are so unique!

@Mary Beth  my bilateral journey started well and then just got better and better!  I had quit wearing my hearing aid in my non-CI ear within two months of my initial implant and was thrilled with the new life that ear received with my second implant five months after my first one. Within a couple of weeks I was hearing quite well with my second implant...and loving that I was hearing in "surround sound"!

• Like 2