DarlaHS

Changes in Taste

I have read many entrees that people have a metallic taste after surgery. My surgeon explained to me that the metallic taste is usually from bloody drainage in the back of throat. I get that and understand it completely as that is what happened to me. Even now after the drainage has stopped I occassionaly will get a metallic taste. This is not what I am referring to.

Since surgery my tastes have changed. I mean the foods I like and enjoy eating, I no longer like them. For instance, I have always eaten french fries with mayonnaise, never ketchup. I ate them like this since I was a child. Now, I very much dislike mayonnaise and will only eat fries with ketchup. This is just one of numerous changes that have been noticed.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had these type of changes that affects what they eat and dont eat. If you have, does it get better?  

@DarlaHS

Temporary changes in taste are not uncommon after cochlear implant surgery.  For most people, this resolves itself in time.

check this out

http://www.cmj.org/article.asp?issn=0366-6999;year=2015;volume=128;issue=15;spage=2115;epage=2118;aulast=Wang

Thank you. I now understand I am not going crazy. ?

I had change in my Taste -DarlaHS, and it correct itself with time. Don't worry and be patient. 

My taste did not change much. A little bit of metalic and a buttery feeling, food felt like more oily than usual but my taste didn't change, still enjoy my burgers and pizzas from time to time :) 

It was around 2 weeks after surgery with strange taste, the worst case was when test with red wine....  ?

Well, that got real fast.  Wine?  This is serious.  ?

Question about change in taste.

First implant in 2015 without issues. Second implant in early March of this year. Noticed loss of taste near end of March. This has continued with serious loss of almost all taste.

Has anyone else encountered this problem..?

Did taste return to normal.?

if taste did return how long before it returned to normal.?

Is it possible that taste never returns..?

Thanks

Richard

@Richard Foster

Hi!  I am sorry you are experiencing loss of taste.  It seems to be a possible complication related to the chorda tympani being effected by the surgery.  I hope it resolves soon.  Have you asked your surgeon about it yet?

I have a loss of taste following my surgery as well. My surgeon and I discussed some side effects prior to the surgery with loss of taste being one of them. For the most part I've been assured it's mainly temporary though it may take time. Post surgery, I brought it up with my audiologist and surgeon and they're keeping an eye on it and asking me about it on my follow up appointments.

I'm starting to taste fruits, some vegetables, dairy, and some sweet things again. Meat tastes like air. Soda and red wine taste downright awful right now. Chocolate covered almonds tastes like chocolate though, so that is a relief. On the plus side, I'm eating more fruits and vegetables.