November and December 2018 dates

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Just starting a new thread for anyone who wants to share surgery and activation dates in November or December.

• HearPeers Heroes

October 29 @Margo has her first CI activated and @Esteban has the second CI activated

October 31 @Daniel the Stranger and  @Nikki have their second CIs activated

November 1 @Mary Featherston has her second CI activated and @Marion nancy has her first CI activated

• HearPeers Heroes

Did I miss anyone’s surgery or activation dates in November or December?  If so, I apologize.  Let us know and I will add them to the list.

I chose to transfer the October 30 and 31 special dates to this new topic as well.  It makes it easier for me to update the list.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:44 AM, Mary Beth said:

Just starting a new thread for anyone who wants to share surgery and activation dates in November or December.

Activation Nov 1.  Will say hi to Donald duck but I hope he will talk clearly

Excited and frightening at same time

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@Marion nancy

You never know.  You could get Darth Vader, R2D2 or Mickey Mouse.

Smile

Nope.  Originally promised Donald thru a hilium baloney. ?

Activation Nov 1.  Will say hi to Donald duck but I hope he will talk clearly

Excited and frightening at same time

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
On 10/6/2018 at 10:35 AM, Mary Beth said:

October 30 @Margo has her first CI activated

October 31 @Daniel the Stranger and  @Nikki have their second CIs activated

November 1 @Mary Featherston has her second CI activated

Updated to add @Nikki‘s activation date

• HearPeers Heroes
4 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Thanks @Mary Beth

Wondering if @Margo @Daniel the Stranger @Mary Featherston shared which processors you picked

If you'd like to share here or show me a different thread

Thanks and good luck to you all

@Nikki, mine is a two-processor clinic.  When I got my first ear done last spring, I got two Sonnets and a PlusRondo voucher.   Because they don't order the kits till after surgery I imagine my audiologist will be ordering my new kit tomorrow.  We've talked and if the PlusRondo promotion is still active I'll get two Sonnets and a voucher again.  If not, and Rondo2 is released in the US, I'll get one Sonnet and one Rondo2.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nikki  I like the Sonnet a lot.  As much as it's much, much larger than the hearing aids I was used to, it's not uncomfortable at all, and though it took me longer to get to what I thought things should sound like than some others (like @Jewel  -- what took her about three weeks took me three months).  But the result is so much better than what I had before that I didn't even hesitate to do the second ear.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

My audi made the same remark... that my progress is where people reach after three months. Not sure what accounts for that. Maybe it's because the surgeon did my better ear. I'm sorry she didn't get to test me in the booth on Thursday.

I agree with you. I prefer the Sonnet to all my HAs in terms of comfort. I am surprised I don't feel it on my head. Plus not having anything inside my ear helps, which is why I don't want an ear mould to stabilise the Sonnet. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - yes, it was always the ear molds that caused problems.  I was always getting inflammation on the skin in my ears.

I know someone who went completely deaf and was implanted afterward.  Her progress was as fast as yours.  It may be that your brain, and Lisa's, were able to comprehend the sounds from the CIs faster than some people because you didn't have the distraction of even a little bit of hearing in the un-implanted ear.  These last couple of weeks I've been wearing my hearing aid at my audiologist's request to keep the nerve stimulated, but I had reached a point where it felt as though my hearing aid was holding me back from hearing the CI correctly, because the hearing aid sounded so different and my brain kept grabbing on to the familiar sounds coming from the hearing aid.

I stopped using it a week ago.  I'm going to be really interested to see how my rehab goes with the second CI.

• Like 2

Interesting @Mary Featherston, I thought the same about using my HA in before last surgery to keep my auditory nerve stimulated. I sued it for an hour and that was all. Sound with HA is so boring that it didn't feel good leaving the HA on me until surgery.

• Like 1

In reply to Nikki's question re: choice of processor: at the hospital in London Ontario where I was implanted I was offered a choice between the Sonnet and the Rondo. However, the audiologist said the Rondo2 was not yet available to them(perhaps due to government health insurance rules) so strongly recommended the Sonnet as having more advanced features. I'm looking forward to my activation date which has been moved up to October 29.

• Like 3

Margo--I think you made the right choice. I was covered for 2 processors, and got a Rondo and a Sonnet. While I love the comfort of the Rondo, it is not as advanced as the Sonnet. Anytime I am in a noisy setting, the Sonnet is noticeably better than the Rondo. The Rondo 2 is not available yet here either (I go to Mass Eye and Ear in Boston).

I just had my 1-year-since-activation hearing test today. Speech score is at 74% full words, 90% partial. This is up from 4% and 25% before implanted. Huge difference!

• Like 2

I will have an activation 29.October (on left side. with Sonnet),  I was first implanted in the right side on 31.January 2018 and then, their activation was 6.March 2018.

I'm a little anxious.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Esteban

How are things going with your CI so far?

I love having bilateral CIs.  I hope you live it too!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Esteban!

Congrats on your bilateral journey! How are things with the first CI? I hope you are recovering well fun your last CI surgery. Feel free to share your story with us. 

Congratulations to all the late October, Early November activations!!. I'm hoping to receive a Refund for do at my second mapping next week... Fingers crossed. I'm so intrigued by the bilateral journey and pray I will have that option next year. I havethe Sonnet and I agree. It's larger than my previous HA but I understand speech and sounds so much better. I heard voices right away after activation. I so wanted the Donald Duck effect. Lol?

Hi all! I apologize for the delay, just now I can answer, as you know, I'm from Argentina (it's in Latin America), my name in English is Steve and I'm a Veterinarian. I was born with bilateral sensorineural hearing loss and severe to profound hypoacusis, due to an intrauterine infection with Rubella (German measles). With the implant on the right side, I can now discriminate simple words and some music (I love listening to music of all kinds, especially Rock, my favorite band is Roxette!). The next October 29 or October 30 at the latest I will have the activation of the left implant and the truth is that I am eager to listen with both ears. Already before the operations I used Siemens hearing aids (Siemens Nitro 3SP).

• Like 3

Cool @Esteban I'm from Colombia but living in Australia... and I have a cat! :) . My understanding of Spanish is pretty good 4 months after first activation. I can talk over the phone but for music I'm still a long way to understand the lyrics completely but I enjoy it a lot too.

In English the situation changes a lot and my understanding is a lot harder but I'm not giving up! 

I'm deaf since 4 years old, also bilateral sensorineural. I just had my second surgery last week and activation is on the 31 October.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome, @Esteban!  From your photo it looks as though you've treated a hedgehog, how cool.  Like Daniel I have cats - two of them.

And I have my second activation the day after Daniel's and three days after yours!

• Like 2