November and December 2018 dates

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Did you record your activation? I hope you did. It's nice to have for your personal record. Plus you have no further activations! ? 

Glad to hear that you are getting a Roger Select! Wish I could change mine. I have hardly used it. It isn't much use to me. Only for meetings but the Select would no doubt be better for meetings. Hopefully I can attend a Hands on Hearing workshop and try one out before forking out money to buy! 

So tomorrow should be an interesting day at work for you! Happy hearing! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - no, didn't record.  I have a personal record, in my head!  ?

I actually went to work today after my appointment.  I didn't have any meetings, so I was working on some stuff at my desk mostly.  I did walk down to the other end of the building and talk to someone for a while.  It's quite surprising how good they sound together even when the new one sounds pretty bad yet.  I've got some rehab to do!

• HearPeers Heroes
21 minutes ago, Jewel said:

@Mary Featherston

Have they changed your office yet? 

@Jewel - no.  There are procedures that we have to follow and our plant engineering manager offered to help me with submitting the change request but then he got busy.  I nagged him again yesterday in a meeting and he said it had been handed in so it should be pretty soon.  I ended up shutting my door for a while yesterday so I could focus on what I was doing - that works in the short run, but I don't like keeping it shut all the time.  I need to be accessible.  So I'll keep nagging Troy.  ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Wonder if in a few weeks you will be able to make out conversations outside your office now that you are bilateral. I can hear the chatter in the adjacent office but I can't make out what is being said. 

Hope they relocate you soon. 

• HearPeers Heroes
5 minutes ago, Jewel said:

@Mary Featherston

Wonder if in a few weeks you will be able to make out conversations outside your office now that you are bilateral. I can hear the chatter in the adjacent office but I can't make out what is being said. 

Hope they relocate you soon. 

I expect so, @Jewel -though this second CI needs some rehab first!  It's interesting though, I was watching some TV with the captions last night and the voices were clearer after an evening of that.  Not good, yet, but clearer.  If I can make fast progress this is going to be great.

Last night I was watching TV for the first time with both processors on. God it was so loud for me, I was worried for the lady next door but my wife said it was ok. We were using the same volume as usual on the home theatre. But no complaints, it felt loud but fantastic, I can't wait until my new ear reaches the same level as the old one!!

• Like 3

Kit Cat and greetings for all those activated this past week

Wishing best journey to all new CI users

Attached:  Med El Kit cat

20181102_195044-756x1008.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations to all the New implantees activations abd bilaeral recipients. It has been joyful reading this thread ????

• Like 1

@Mary Beth wonderful to be back on boards. You were so right about how busy things would get after activation. Lol. Work school and keeping up with appointments?.Had my second mapping. Looking for a piano lessons in my area. I've always wanted to learn. So happy to see the new activations and new implantees here. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Day two after Thursday activation:  the new processor sounds MUCH better already, which is not, emphatically, to say that it sounds good.  But I'm encouraged by being able to discern noticeable improvement already.  I'm really happy with this.

One of my employees told me yesterday - 24 hours post-activation! - that he could tell that I could hear better with both already.  How cool is that?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Y'know what, though?  I've been using my second CI by itself this weekend, sort of power rehab.  And it's getting noticeably better all the time.

But what I need is VOLUME.  I'm the opposite of Daniel, it's too quiet, almost muffled.  Come Wednesday at my audiology appointment we're going to get real.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 11/1/2018 at 9:42 PM, Jewel said:

@Mary Featherston

Did you record your activation? I hope you did. It's nice to have for your personal record. Plus you have no further activations! ? 

I meant to respond to this - I do have a record of this, just not a video.  I've been blogging my hearing journey since March.  I'm sort of all about the words.  While I love photos and taking them, writing the blog has been a way for me to clarify my own thoughts as well as share the process with friends.

8 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

I'm the opposite of Daniel, it's too quiet, almost muffled.  Come Wednesday at my audiology appointment we're going to get real.

Well, we are not that different lol. My Audi gave me a map with 5 different programs which the only difference between them is the loudness.

I changed from program 1 to program 5 the second day after mapping. That is why the TV was so loud lol. I should have been more specific. Good for you @Mary Featherston and your quick adaptation.

• Like 1

@Mary Beth not yet, I'm in program 5 but I also upped the maximum volume level. It is funny how when you increase volume or program loudness some sounds get scratchy again. I have my second mapping today. I'll let you know how it goes.

@Mary Featherston I re read your post and we are definitely the same lol. Using the new processor only sounds are very soft. When I said that the TV was too loud it is because I was using both processors. @Mary Beth in this case, TV is still loud but not uncomfortable, it is just that I'm wondering if the lady next door is going to complain but my wife keep saying is ok lol.

• HearPeers Heroes
5 minutes ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

@Mary Featherston I re read your post and we are definitely the same lol. Using the new processor only sounds are very soft. When I said that the TV was too loud it is because I was using both processors. @Mary Beth in this case, TV is still loud but not uncomfortable, it is just that I'm wondering if the lady next door is going to complain but my wife keep saying is ok lol.

OK, yeah, that's exactly what I've been doing, @Daniel the Stranger!  I have my loudest program on, and I increased both volume and intensity and I still turned the volume up on the TV.

The good news is that when I do all that it really is starting to sound good already.

• HearPeers Heroes

In the early times of being bilateral I was surprised at the perceived volume differences of recorded words presented at 50 dB.  

Quietest to loudest perceived volume went like this:

new CI side

first CI side

bilateral

In reality the words were exactly the same volume!

When the new CI side got balanced with the first CI side, each side sounded the same volume on that test.  Together the perceived volume is louder.  It’s one of the benefits of hearing with two ears.