Mild to profound ski slope hearing loss

Hopefulme

@Hicksy

thank you. I am a great observant too. I know we all have been and will continue to cope well. Just sometimes anxiety and depression kills everything we planned.

I feel constantly worried about my future and that will people around me will not accept me if things continue to worsen. Even after not being able to hear well for a decade now, I become sad if I can’t hear someone even today. Just hoping this phase passes and I start accepting hearing loss.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hopefulme

It is understandable that you're a bit anxious about your future. So was I when my ENT confirmed in 2001/2  that I was losing my hearing. I remember crying in his office at the news. I felt my life was over. Also it took me 10 years to accept my hearing loss. 

Fast forward to 2018 and I'm still working. Personally I made sure to save a good portion of my salary early on, knowing that if my hearing worsened I may be out of a job. 

Today we have a lot of technology that can benefit us. You can use a speech to text app to understand what someone is saying to you. 

Also if you have a good support system that is great. 

We just have to accept our limitations and move on. Many people are worse off than us so try to focus on the positives in your life. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hopefulme, @Jewel - my situation is a little different, I've been losing my hearing pretty much since birth.  But the frustration doesn't go away, and I have, like Jewel, tried to ensure that my loss of hearing wouldn't destroy our financial situation - when my husband's father died and left him a small (smallish) amount of money, we chose to pay off our house against the advice of our financial advisor, because of my fear that I would be unable to continue working.  I've never regretted that, though the CIs are changing my future outlook now!

• HearPeers Heroes
8 hours ago, Hopefulme said:

@Hicksy

thank you. I am a great observant too. I know we all have been and will continue to cope well. Just sometimes anxiety and depression kills everything we planned.

I feel constantly worried about my future and that will people around me will not accept me if things continue to worsen. Even after not being able to hear well for a decade now, I become sad if I can’t hear someone even today. Just hoping this phase passes and I start accepting hearing loss.

So as you say @Hopefulme I was in your position before I got my implants. I was depressed I withdrew from social settings and only really tried with my close freinds and family. I was very sad and alone. Now though I can hear better than ever and I got a dog! She had also helped me to not feel alone and I go for walks with her everyday! So please if you ever need to talk we’re here for you!  P.s. o was a lipreader as well. But it’s difficult in a Hearing world to always be able to do that. I wish you all the best! Kara 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Hopefulme

I know many many older people with hearing loss who do not have dementia.  Staying engaged and connected to others is helpful in all stages of our lives.

My hearing loss was isolating me...my world was shrinking......it was exhausting and often times it was frustrating.

I am thankful every morning for this gift of hearing.  It has opened my world back up and I am so grateful.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

They say hearing can increase the chances but I would say if they didn’t do anything to stimulate hearing such as HA or CI. (I’m not a dr or anything) 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hopefulme

I have relatives in their 70s and 80s who have hearing loss and have never worn HAs and they do not have dementia. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s very individual I would think. It just one of those things that adds up on the pile of risk factors. There’s so many that are a factor so don’t think because your deaf you expected to have dementia. Think of it like driving a car. Just because you can doesn’t mean you will die from a fatal accident. It’s also new data which maybe bound to change.