Just an observation...

Hicksy

First of all, I would like to thank all the contributors to this site. There is a wealth of info to be found here. But....

I find a thread is started on a particular topic and in some cases, after a few replies to the topic, the thread has spiralled off to something different all together. This makes it extremely difficult to find specific info and undoubtedly bewildering for new members. For example the thread on care and cleaning of processors has spiralled into multilpe posts and pictures regarding skinnits. Another thread on mild to profound ski slope hearing loss has spun off into finetuner info. The person who asked that question is not even a candidate yet so the finetuner info is useless to them and another, reading the finetuner info and looking for it a few weeks from now , would probably not remember to look into Mild to profound... thread for the finetuner info. I feel this is getting a bit out of hand and really making it difficult to find specific info, especially for CI candidates new to the whole idea of CI’s undoubtably looking for specific answers.

Sorry to bring this up but that’s my 2 cents.

-Grumpy Old Man ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Hicksy

Good points.  It is easy though to use the search feature when trying to locate info.  For example, searching for FINE TUNER brings up posts about the Fine Tuner in various topics.

Sometimes conversations meander a bit.  I am just thrilled that we have an active forum again.  I want people to feel comfortable posting comments on any thread without concern for whether it is in the right place.

@Ivana Marinac helped us become better about starting new topics in the past.

Maybe you will be our reminder now.

We did improve on this.  @Kara of Canada will remember our past threads.  Smile.

There is always room for continued improvement.  Smile.

Yes it’s easy to use the search function if you are computer savvy and familiar with the site. But how many new users do we lose because it is difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff?

I admittedly don’t check in as often as before, but upon reading a particular topic I think I may be able to contribute to, I find more and more I don’t bother because the thread has been hijacked completely. I’m sure this turns some people away... perhaps the people who need help the most. We’ve been through the journey but try to put yourself in the position of a not so savvy user just overwhelmed at the onset of being a CI candidate. They look for answers about a particular topic and have to read through all the extraneous meaningless messages to the topic at hand and may never find the answers they are looking for. And just go someplace else and not come back.

Back to the profound ski slope hearing loss thread, did anybody address the tinnitus question? It spun off to the fine tuner which would be great If they become a CI candidate and If they choose Med El and If the finetuner is still a “thing” a few years down the road when activated...

Thats really all I’m trying to point out.

• HearPeers Heroes

While I understand the frustration, I think it's also good to remember that this is not just an information warehouse but a community.  I myself am on the other side of this in that too many rules and active moderation telling me what to do would drive me away.

But if it's just me, it shouldn't affect what other choose to do.  I'm an old Usenet hand, I'm used to chaos and thread drift seems normal to me.

@Hicksy

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

The sense of community here and the friendly respect shown to every member is why I choose to stay active in HPs.

I am also fine with threads drifting.  Conversations do that.

I am glad you are active here Mary and I look forward to hearing all about your bilateral journey.  

Yep, I’m an old fuddy duddy whose main wish is that the internet had stuck to the original vision of ARPANET ( on which the internet is founded) which sole function was the desemination of information only? So no, I’m not on FaceBook!

and thanks Mary Beth but you must have me confused with someone else. Not going bilateral although I recently had a second CI surgery which I haven’t gone into here. Had revision surgery on the original implant. Still recovering...

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Hicksy

I was wishing @Mary Featherston Luck as she is going bilateral in a few days.  Sorry for any confusion.

I am sorry to hear that you needed revision surgery.  I hope your recovery goes well.  Wishing you the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

I appreciate your view. Guess we women are just being women when we go on tangents from time to time ?

I personally don't mind it. I started using this forum while I was still contemplating getting a CI and I benefitted from the various threads even when they strayed off topic as I learned about CI related things that I probably wouldn't have used the search feature for. 

But of course we want to make sure we address the original question raised in a post. 

Hope all goes well with your recovery from your last surgery. Please keep us posted. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yikes, @Hicksy - sorry to hear about your need for a second surgery.

Thanks. I haven’t posted anything here about it as it’s a unique case and I don’t want to unduly alarm anyone contemplating their initial surgery. And also the thread would probably quickly devolve to a four page discussion about Mellies.

come on people, I’m trying to be funny!?

• Haha 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

Your post made me laugh out loud!

I respect your privacy and your decision to post or not post about your need for revision surgery.  Definitely a topic we hope not to face but it does happen.  If you ever decide to post about it, I am sure we will learn things from your experience.

Learning from each other and supporting each other on our journeys is what makes this forum special.

Even if we do end up discussing Mellies and SkinIt covers.  Smile.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
12 minutes ago, Hicksy said:

Thanks. I haven’t posted anything here about it as it’s a unique case and I don’t want to unduly alarm anyone contemplating their initial surgery. And also the thread would probably quickly devolve to a four page discussion about Mellies.

come on people, I’m trying to be funny!?

Keep up, buddy, it's the bluetooth in the car now.  ?

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

I actually practiced some restraint.  I was going to ask you about your trip in the spring!

Ha!  Well, pretend you did.  Normandy!  I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are funny @Hicksy about losing it at skinit 

I tend to agree the site is bit difficult to navigate around and follow topics

I think your best bet is just to post a new question/thought/topic

You see this time it worked 

Even if someone will say there was discussion few others might just answer to point

Hope your revision works as great as mine did once you are re activated

Luckily the revision surgery has seemed to work. But what shocked me was how much my hearing regressed only being turned off for two weeks. I guess the old adage “use it or lose it” applies here as well. 

And despite my comments about the internet and Facebook, I wouldn’t want people to think me a Luddite. I actually spent 20 years in the computer business so my mistrust isn’t entirely unfounded. ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

I wonder if the differences you are noticing are due to needing time to adjust to possibly the electrodes situated a bit differently than before?  When I read about  place/pitch MAPs I wonder how that impacts reimplantation.

Although as adults we hope never to need reimplantation, young children will definitely face reimplantation at some point.  As a Teacher of the Deaf, I wonder how long the adjustment period tends to last after reimplantation.

I’ll know more when I see the doctor in 2 weeks. My understanding is that the implant wasn’t moved, the problem was caused by debris around the site. I had periodic disconnects. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I thought we could use a little fun!! 

9EF72542-9909-4EF8-A8C0-D05D9D4CECF9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2018 at 12:27 PM, Hicksy said:

I’ll know more when I see the doctor in 2 weeks. My understanding is that the implant wasn’t moved, the problem was caused by debris around the site. I had periodic disconnects. 

Interesting.   Good luck with the appointment in 2 wks . I really hope this time things will stay connected and sound much better.  I hope you don't just assume your brain have forgotten,  maybe it's just the mapping of the processor? Either way, it's a journey and i'm wishing you a road full of good surprises