First ever Med-El Meetup in Innsbruck, Austria

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to HearPeers @Colleen Powell and @VeroNika!

Colleen, Veronika, @Ivana Marinac and I all attended the first Med-El Meetup event last week.  Hopefully they will share their experiences here too.

• HearPeers Heroes

It was unbelievable @Gemma!

link to some pics

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

To follow that link you may need to touch the small FB icon in the top right corner.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow

WOW, quadruple WOW!

Sounds like an amazing event, I really wish I was able to attend, or even get an invitation. WOW!

Hope they continue this series and invite me at some point!!!

Lucky girl!

• Like 2

Thanks @Mary Beth - you did a great job of promoting the HearPeers Forum in Innsbruck and it's great to be here! I am a HearPeers mentor on the UK version of the site - here is a link to my profile which has some info about my hearing journey also: https://www.hearpeers.uk/mentors/ruth/

The meetup was really wonderful. It was fantastic to meet all the other users and MED-EL staff, and I learned so much about the implants, processors, and how they're made and developed. I definitely came away with a renewed sense of wonder and gratitude. I have had my implant for nearly twenty years!

Here is a link to my Facebook post (public) with photos from the event: 

Another nice effect of this meetup and seeing all the other users who are so diverse, confident, talented, and wonderful was feeling more confident in myself. I have spent most of my life trying to hide my deafness and blend in. On the first night some of us had an interesting conversation about a model who got their processor photoshopped out of a picture. Another parent said that a friend had suggested they grow their child's hair longer to cover the processor, and her response was 'why would I do that? The processor is so wonderful!' This morning I went to the gym and wore my hair up, with my processors proudly on display. A small and very significant step for me! I've always known how wonderful they are, and now I feel proud to show them off, too.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

Your post gave me goosebumps!  That is so awesome that you put your processors on display at the gym!  Terrific!

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth - nice to "meet" you!  I've had people ask me if I'm going to grow my hair and hide my processors.

Nope, nope, nope.  ?

• Like 2

@Mary Featherston good for you! I've been eyeing up the processor options on the MED-EL website and they're really nice. Might go for some bright colours next!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to our group! Nice to meet you! I also don’t cover mine up all the time. 

659F4CC5-3241-4F03-B048-DF859167DCCF.jpeg

3F15077A-0247-4FE9-B7C4-87363579FDE9.jpeg

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

So you people with hair (i do not - well, I keep it quite closely trimmed so I don't look like Bozo the Clown) - do you use your hair to help hold you processors in place ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

I have hair (smile) but it is not needed to hold my processors in place.  

• HearPeers Heroes

I don’t use anything to hold the processor on. As you can see in my pics above. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan

links to more pictures and experiences from the Med-El Meetup above

Sorry, my email notifications seem to have turned themselves off so I didn't see any replies to this! Absolutely fantastic to see all these affirmations of processor confidence. It feels like a switch has been flicked for me.

@Kara of Canada I love your colours, so stylish and pretty! Are these the official MED-EL parts? Does anybody know how you can get these - direct from MED-EL, or the clinic? Is there a limit to how many they will give out? (If the clinic, I'm guessing each one will have their own policy)

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

Skin Its are so much fun!  Thousands of designs and an option to custom make your own design. They run promos often.

My sea turtle Fine Tuner design was from SkinIt.

https://www.skinit.com/device-skins/medical-skins/med-el/med-el-sonnet-kit

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

I forgot to respond to your other question.

In the US, we can self pay and purchase various DL-coil covers.

But Skinits give us many more options.

@Mary Beth many thanks - this looks amazing! This could have a detrimental effect on my wallet... ? I'm assuming I need to buy two of each for two processors... Do you need to specify whether they are for left or right side processors?

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

The skinits are for one processor and the Fine Tuner. We do not have to specify left or right as the skins cover both sides.

It is possible to alter one of the FM cover skins to fit a second processor.

Let me see if I can find a pic of the entire sheet.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

This is one SkinIt sheet for Sonnet.  I cut out the decals for the Fine Tuner.  

There is one decal for Sonnet using the standard battery cover and a separate decal for Sonnet using the FM battery cover.

Some people modify the FM battery decal to fit their second Sonnet.

The coil decals work with different coils so  there are options to cover 2 coils rather easily.

4B469240-2D9D-48E4-A681-819D9F5301E5.jpeg

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

The decal on the back of my Fine Tuner with my first name and phone number in case I accidentally leave it behind is a mini slim clothing label.  I have them on...

-back of my Fine Tuners 

-top of my dry kits

-top of my Sonnet rechargeable battery chargers

-top of the traveling case I bring with me full of processor parts

-etc

This way if a kind person finds it, she can contact me.

https://www.kiddotags.com/mini-slim-clothing-tags.html