Comparison of Rondo 2 versus Sonnet

Mary Beth

On 4/24/2019 at 2:14 AM, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

Is the Rondo 2 supposed to get quite warm/hot when it charges?  Are we supposed to wait until it cools off before using it?

Hi @Mary Beth, Thanks for the question. Yes, it is normal for RONDO 2 to get warm whilst charging -- there is more information on this in the user manual :). 

Kind regards, 

Mary

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Thanks Mary.  I tried to find the Rondo 2 user manual online but I only found the Rondo 2 Quick Guide.  Will you post a link to the full user manual?  I would like to learn more about the Rondo 2.

Thanks again.

Excuse me for the late answers.

Go to amazon and search for "Qi wireless Power Bank". You'll find many Qi enabled wireless chargers, but they're all HUGE. 10,000mAh battery capacity or 20,000, or even 30,000. Those things are very heavy, but if you want to carry something like that they're fine. They're meant for charging multiple phones and tablets between charges of the power bank.

That being said, here is the one I found:

Travelcool 8000mAh QI Wireless Charger Dual USB Portable Power Bank For Samsung Charger Wireless External Battery Pack Powerbank

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/skifFXw

It's pretty small at 2.5" x 2.5" square, by about 1/2 an inch tall. It's fairly light, and has 8000mAh capacity. There are 2 versions. One has three ports plus the Qi charging. So you can plugin THREE cables to charge 3 devices at once, plus charge your Rondo 2 (or a phone wirelessly). The version I bought has two inputs - a regular usb and a Usb C, plus it has a built in cable that has a special connector on the end....it's used to both charge the power bank itself over regular usb, and it has a micro-usb port on it, for plugging into phones/kindles/whatever. There's also a little nook for a lightning or usb-c adapter, your choice it comes with both, to turn the micro usb plug into that. So this way you're never without a cable. I had to wrap a cable around my own power bank with an elastic so this is much better: 

AliExpress is China's amazon. If you order from them make sure you select a shipping option that gets it to you quickly. I suggest looking to see if there are other sellers on AliExpress better options for YOU if possible. 

21 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

Thanks Mary.  I tried to find the Rondo 2 user manual online but I only found the Rondo 2 Quick Guide.  Will you post a link to the full user manual?  I would like to learn more about the Rondo 2.

Thanks again.

Hi @Mary Beth, Unfortunately I am not able to post user manuals online for regulatory reasons. Sorry! Kind regards, Mary 

• HearPeers Heroes

I didn’t realize that.  Hmmm...maybe other sources upload the manuals because I have the manuals for other Med-El processors on my phone as PDFs.

Thanks for letting me know Mary.

@MED-EL Moderator

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide on the Rondo 2 or Sonnet processor...   I have chosen the Rondo 2 however if I wish I can let them know at London University Hospital that I would prefer the Sonnet. I was convinced that I wanted an off the ear and rechargeable processor however I learned yesterday that the Sonnet also comes with 3 rechargeable batteries. My main goal is to be able to hear and understand speech, I wonder if the Sonnet would be better suited for me??   Hard decision..

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sandy123

Choosing a processor is a tough decision.  There are happy Sonnet users and happy Rondo 2 users.  Some users have both and prefer Sonnets.  Some users have both and prefer Rondo 2.

Look at their features and choose whichever one feels best for you.  

There is not a wrong choice.

I agree with your comments, I really need to decide what features I would like best.   Still on the fence but I have to make final decision tomorrow...

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sandy123

Maybe it helps to think about how it is the internal components that have the biggest impact on how we hear.  In our lifetime we will use several different external processors.

But it is a hard decision.

Another very good point,,   I'll be doing more research this evening.   🙂

I would just like to add that I am a very active person and went with the Sonnet for the peace of mind of having the BTE anchored so to speak behind my ear. I’m worried that a Rondo would just go flying off my head in certain situations. I have in fact dislodged the Sonnet twice in 2.5 years😀

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

Good point.  I do secure my Rondos if I think they may get knocked off.  They have never fallen off without being knocked off. I use EarGear covers with tether and clip.

Last summer we took our nephews on a bouncy media boat ride zipping  through New York Harbor.  My Rondos were safely In EarGear covers with tether and clipped to my shirt.  But they never fell off.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

(I also put them in waterwear covers for that ride in case we got splashed!)

Hi is there a big difference between the sonnet and the opus2? I am due for an upgrade and wonder if I should try the sonnet versus the opus2, I currently have the opus.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Grollins123

The Sonnet is different from the OPUS2.

Some differences:

-Sonnet has two mics

-Sonnet has built in 2.4 receiver just waiting for the release of the AudioLink intermediary device

-Sonnet has high water resistance rating

-Sonnet has an integrated Roger receiver in the Roger 21 battery door

-Sonnet has more durable cables

-Sonnet has a DL-coil with 9 magnet strength settings

A lot changed from OPUS2 to Sonnet.

Some countries have regulatory approval already for Sonnet 2.

• 1 month later...

Dear colleagues,

I’m wondering is Rondo 2 batteries-less?

so while you charge it, you will unable for hearing so this is disadvantage!

• HearPeers Heroes

@iHM24

Rondo 2 has a built in rechargeable battery.  People are reporting very long battery life.  Some people have reported 20-21 hours.

There is an optional remote battery pack but that is corded to the Rondo 2.

The Rondo 2 can also be powered up for less than a full 4 hour charge cycle if needed.

I am interested in the battery life of Rondo 2 also over time.

34 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@iHM24

Rondo 2 has a built in rechargeable battery.  People are reporting very long battery life.  Some people have reported 20-21 hours.

There is an optional remote battery pack but that is corded to the Rondo 2.

The Rondo 2 can also be powered up for less than a full 4 hour charge cycle if needed.

I am interested in the battery life of Rondo 2 also over time.

Yes it’s a wonderful thing that battery life more than 20h but I meant if you don’t have a backup processor unfortunately you will be unable to hear during recharging Rondo 2!

On 6/25/2019 at 2:16 PM, Mary Beth said:

Hi @Grollins123

The Sonnet is different from the OPUS2.

Some differences:

-Sonnet has two mics

-Sonnet has built in 2.4 receiver just waiting for the release of the AudioLink intermediary device

-Sonnet has high water resistance rating

-Sonnet has an integrated Roger receiver in the Roger 21 battery door

-Sonnet has more durable cables

-Sonnet has a DL-coil with 9 magnet strength settings

A lot changed from OPUS2 to Sonnet.

Some countries have regulatory approval already for Sonnet 2.

Dear @Mary Beth

Every 3 months we should change sonnet Microphone Covers for IPS54 because of dust I read the manual for best hearing to change it continually 

• HearPeers Heroes

@iHM24

Yes Sonnet mics are to be changed every 3 months or sooner if auditory quality is impacted.  It works best for me to change them every 2 months to maintain consistent sound quality.

It is important that our batteries last and we have an easy way to replace/recharge them when needed.  I agree.

Hi. My child is using opus 2 processor can this be changed with Rondo 2 processor. Inside the ear Sonata installed and using opus 2 processor BTE.

Edited by Qaiser

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Qaiser and welcome to HearPeers!

Yes we can use any Med-El processor.  Med-El makes all of their processors backward compatible with all internals.

• 5 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 4:53 AM, MallaRuth said:

Thanks @Mary Beth, this is interesting to see. I struggle a great deal with the battery life of the Sonnets. The advertised hours are up to 8-10, I found that I am getting 8 and more recently 7. This means that both batteries can switch off suddenly halfway through a working day, making me feel very vulnerable. In my opinion, this is a serious design flaw. No battery for a hearing device should ever last for less than one day. I sometimes have to change the batteries twice if I have a particularly long day.

I agree this is a big design flaw; in school settings the Sonnet 2 won't last the whole school day (not more than 6 hours) while using the Roger FM system. Forget it if a student has after school activities; s/he may need to change batteries 2 or 3x if using rechargeable.

• 3 months later...

I've been trying Mary Beth's idea of changing sonnet disposable batteries every other morning.  That works good for the first day.  Often the batteries will give out at 7-9 the second night.  Then sometimes I put the Rondos 2 on for the last hour or two of that day and then wear them again the next day.  I don't prefer one over the other much as far as sound goes.  My gripe about Rondos 2 is that they fall off so easily.  My plus for Rondos 2 is that they are more predictable and I seldom have one go out on me so long as I charge it up each night.

My Sonnets stay on better and I tend to prefer them when they are working.  The minus for the Sonnets is sometimes first thing in the morning I have to play with them a little to get them going and the disposable batteries aren't as dependable.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marv

My Sonnets are very picking about disposable batteries.  ZeniPower caused a lot of problems with false dead battery alerts etc.  So frustrating.

Power One Implant disposable batteries perform much better for me in my Sonnets.

Have you tried GripWear to help your Rondo 2 processors stay in place better?

I've been trying Mary Beth's idea of changing sonnet disposable batteries every other morning.  That works good for the first day.  Often the batteries will give out at 7-9 the second night.  Then sometimes I put the Rondos 2 on for the last hour or two of that day and then wear them again the next day.  I don't prefer one over the other much as far as sound goes.  My gripe about Rondos 2 is that they fall off so easily.  My plus for Rondos 2 is that they are more predictable and I seldom have one go out on me so long as I charge it up each night.

My Sonnets stay on better and I tend to prefer them when they are working.  The minus for the Sonnets is sometimes first thing in the morning I have to play with them a little to get them going and the disposable batteries aren't as dependable.