Mary Beth

Who already has Rondo 2 or is waiting to receive Rondo 2?

Well Day 3 since activation -- and things are definitely  improving 🙂 I am starting to really hear the upper frequencies of my wife's voice again for the first time in over 12 years...(I guess that's good....just kidding!) -- we actually had a conversation in the car without me taking my eyes off the road (much to her relief).. and slowly words are starting become clearer as the auditory pipes start waking up after so long being dormant. A long way to go for sure but after being so disappointed with successive hearing aids for so long it is heartening to see a technology with so much promise right out of the gate. I previously  played with many configurations over the years on my HA's between omni and directional mics/features ( I self-programmed for last 6 years) and never really noticed anywhere near the difference as I can with the CI (between the R2 and sonnet) -- probably due to such a dearth of auditory information available with the HA's (given my HF loss). It really shows when you have the full spectrum available again.

I wore the sonnet all day yesterday and then the R2 again this morning and can really appreciate -- and hear the difference -- the directionality of the sonnet. The unwieldy-ness ( is that word?) of the R2 in a noisy restaurant completely makes sense. Those dual mics on the sonnet  really are impressive.  I realize I am running on a super baseline initial mapping and the R2 was simply copied from the sonnet map... but to my newbie ear  it is amazing how apparent the adaptive logic and dual mics are. I can see how omni of the H2 would be good for music, but in a noisy environment trying to follow speech the sonnet  feels like a better option.

Can't wait until my next appointment in two weeks.

and thanks for the Roger info Mary Beth

The Sonnet adaptive setting is quite remarkable in noise.  I’m not sure if there is a need to learn how to listen in noise in omni if someone is comfortable carrying the Fine Tuner and has an adaptive program to switch into.

Hi @Dave in Pittsburgh

Did you get your Rondo 2 programmed?  I look forward to reading about your Rondo 2 experience.

Yes got it up and running.I love it.It works very well for me with the cell phone.When I wear the Rondo2 aways carry with me the other Sonnet just in case if I am somewhere and it very noisy I can switch to Sonnet.

That’s terrific @Dave in Pittsburgh!

How are you using your Rondo 2 with your cell phone.

Very good question? That is what happens when you don’t proof read as I didn’t in this case.

What I ment to say if I could get Rondo2 to work will the cell as I do with Sonnet my phone life be a lot easier 

@Dave in Pittsburgh

Rondo 2 is similar to Rondo 1 for cell phone options.

We can

-stay in M and hold the phone over the mic

-use a BT neckloop like Artone 3 MAX and switch to MT

-use Roger Pen or Roger Select with Roger MyLink neckloop receiver and switch to MT

-switch to MT and position the cell phone at the 6:00 position 

It may take some trial and error.  Telephone with confidence will give you a stress free way of experimenting.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Thanks for the info,not having Rondo 1 wasn’t aware of what you suggested.They had to send my Roger Pen back to Phonak it went dead on me.Tech is great when it works. Yes it’s under warranty.

Hi,

I had my operation 2 weeks ago (Bradford, UK) & hopefully receive my Rondo 2 on the 12/03 and get switched on!
looking forward to it.

Congratulations @Andy!

Your activation is soon.  You must be so excited!  Please let us know how everything goes.

Wishing you the best!

I have had my Rondo 2 for about 6 weeks absolutely love it I am wearing more than the other Sonnet Processor I am finding 

@Dave in Pittsburgh

That is terrific!

Thanks, Mary Beth. looking forward to it, still wondering how different it might be...especially without a hearing aid in my left ear for at least the first 3 months.

the audiologist where I go, said they’ve only done a couple of Rondo 2’s so far & had a few teething problems with programming.

Congratulations Andy -- I'm excited for you!

I am now 3 1/2 weeks activated and things get better by the day. These CI's are indeed very strange at first but it seems that even the strange sounds start to sound less strange as days go by. Watching the brain learn to hear with a CI is truly fascinating. No doubt it is a slow and gradual process...but truly life changing I believe, at least it has been for me so far (my wife says it feels like she finally got her husband back 🙂.  

If you have any hearing left in your non-CI ear (like me) it should help you a lot to adjust even without a hearing aid. I can only imagine what totally deaf folks experience with just the CI in the initial stages.

I have the Rondo2 and a Sonnet and I use both during the day -- same map on both at this stage. They sound very alike except perhaps for the directionality offered by the sonnets 2 mics.

Do keep us posted on your progress

Ok, I’ve been switched on.

I was fearing very loud noises & being overwhelmed, but, it’s nowhere near as loud as I thought & I’ve already had to increase the volume. Most noises are very tinny, which is a slight improvement from everything sounding like that on a submarine radar....beep.....beep...

cue torpedo...

On 3/8/2019 at 4:53 PM, Ford said:

Congratulations Andy -- I'm excited for you!

I am now 3 1/2 weeks activated and things get better by the day. These CI's are indeed very strange at first but it seems that even the strange sounds start to sound less strange as days go by. Watching the brain learn to hear with a CI is truly fascinating. No doubt it is a slow and gradual process...but truly life changing I believe, at least it has been for me so far (my wife says it feels like she finally got her husband back 🙂.  

If you have any hearing left in your non-CI ear (like me) it should help you a lot to adjust even without a hearing aid. I can only imagine what totally deaf folks experience with just the CI in the initial stages.

I have the Rondo2 and a Sonnet and I use both during the day -- same map on both at this stage. They sound very alike except perhaps for the directionality offered by the sonnets 2 mics.

Do keep us posted on your progress

Hi Ford, sadly my hearing in my other (left) ear is almost as bad as the ear with the new CI. For the next 3 months my Audiologist doesn’t want me to wear the hearing aid in my left ear...do it’s going to be very difficult...I’m not looking forward to going back to work at all yet..

@Andy

Now the fun begins.  Hang in there.  Things change quickly in the beginning.

I just recently received my Rondo2..tried it out in the audiologist office,along with clips for attaching it for safety.I plan to swap it around with the over the ear processor,until l become more used to it.To ME,there is a slight difference in the sound quality between the over the ear one,and the Rondo,so I'll need to get adjusted to it.Anyone else feel this?

@GraniPeggy

Yes many people say the Rondo 2 and Sonnet sound different.  Some prefer the Rondo 2 sound quality.  Many people have had to have their Rondo 2 MAP tweaked by their audiologist as the default MAP wasn’t the best.

I look forward to reading your experience with Rondo 2.

@GraniPeggy congrats on getting the Rondo 2 I am bilateral and I received one Rondo 2 and I absolutely love itI wear one Sonnet and one Rondo 90% of the time.I don’t wear Rondo in restaurants and other very noisy environment.

I use it pretty much throughout the day and evening 

I see that you are unilateral so it may take a little time to get use to it I do find the sound quality different and I think it’s a more precise a better quality of sound.Since you are unilateral there is non messing with batteries,cables,charging.Rember don’t put Rondo in the dryer

You have to to keep wearing it to get use to it and it’s benefits.

i found the hair clip works best for me and Rondo has never fallen off of my head the magnet works great in fact I’ve taken the hair clip off but in due time you may decide to do so

Hi @GraniPeggy

I have Sonnet and Rondo2 and definitely prefer Rondo2 most times. I don't like Rondo2 in noisy situations but recently I have been adjusting the sensitivity on such occasions and it seems to help. So do a bit of experimenting and see how you like it. 

On 11/29/2018 at 12:31 PM, Mary Beth said:

We are expecting Rondo2 for my son.

@ERICA

That is exciting!  Let us know what your son thinks of Rondo 2!

Good luck to your son Erica @ERICA

Very exciting!

I love the Rondo 2 design but it needs to be re mapped this upcoming Monday.  Hope I can try it out again after that