Research participation

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi all!

Who has participated in cochlear implant research and where did you participate?

How well the CI works and how it has affected my life and family. I get paid at end of study after a year but I enjoy it. I see the case research leader who tests my word recognition and improvement and I give feed back on what's the same or different at home communicating. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I am currently enrolled in a bilateral study in Toronto Canada. The hopital is SunnyBrook Health Sciences Centre 

Through my audiologist I've been turned over to a group of researchers at a local UC university here in southern  CA.

I've had a life long hearing deficit and my audiologist ( very familiar with Med El because she used to work for Med El)has been challenged finding the most optimal mapping in certain pitches. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck @TKD

Have you heard of the image guided MAPping research studies at Vanderbilt?  They use a CT scan of how our electrodes are positioned in our cochlear and then put it through a software program they developed to map which electrodes are overlapping and in fact stimulating the same area.  They determine the electrodes that are positioned the best and the set of electrodes that would provide stimulation to the whole cochlea with the least amount of overlapping and recommend deactivating certain electrodes.  The frequencies that those deactivated electrodes cover automatically shift to other electrodes so no frequencies are lost.

They have published several articles so you can find info with a quick online search.

I have participated and I know a few others who have as well.  It helped me with a challenging to MAP ear and it helped the others as well.

• Like 1

Hello Mary Beth,

Thank you very much for your input!

I love my CI and cannot live without it.  

I've heard of the  Vanderbilt studies but, I was not completely  clear how they refine the MAPping process until you explained it.

I am currently working with the local University of CA and trialing  different MAPs.  I have various MAPs with various electrodes turned off , the suspected problematic electrodes for me. 

However, I suspect the bigger issue is my brain.  

I have to wonder if my brain is not very receptive on receiving certain pitches.

I will keep Vanderbilt in mind as an options since it won't be too difficult for me to get there.

Either way, I do benefit a great deal from the CI.  

I appreciate your input!