Difficult listening moments which are now no longer difficult

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

In our journeys we face difficult listening situations after activation.  Some of these, become easier in time.

What were/are your difficult listening situations that are now no longer difficult?

• HearPeers Heroes

Unloading the dishwasher was terrible at first.  I moved in slow motion, gently setting each plate down as gingerly as possible.  Now I clank around just like everyone else!

But it was terrible for awhile!

I'm still surprised how noisy my wife is in the kitchen lol.

I'm still trying to adapt to sudden change of sound when I put my processors on in the morning. It feels so loud for a few seconds.

Kids at school are so noisy.

• HearPeers Heroes

The first time I heard the tv and silverware clattering! It was awful, enough to drive you nuts. The tv was static and all noise and the silverware was so high pitched. The sound of water also wasn’t pleasant. But eventually my brain adjusted and it’s all good now 😁

• HearPeers Heroes

I keep on hearing my husband arguing with the TV when I'm in the next room. 

This occurs mostly during football games.

Yes, he's a goober.

• Haha 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I hated hearing people move cutlery against their plate, or their spoon in a cup. That was absolutely annoying. Now I don't notice it. 

The canteen at work was super noisy in the early weeks. Now I can manage a conversation in there. 

Kitchen noises water From facet hitting stainless steel sink,silverware dishes hitting the counter best part keeps me out of kitchen 

Restaurant wait staff drag chairs across floor or when they clear tables throw dishes on the tray or in tubs 

i down load a noise meter last week to my phone and it’s amazing how noisy restaurants are and many at the dangerous level l just google noise meter on my phone the one I like is call Decibel Meter

Ack....  I hear ya with the 'clink' of everything... not so grating/high as in the beginning.  Similar with the ventilation fan in the work break room... was kinda irritating for relaxation, but I don't recall being annoyed by it lately.  (although I say that, and then remember that hey, it's probably quieter because it's winter and they don't have the air running?  Oh well.)
And gah, yes, Daniel!  Not so much the 'sudden sound', but annoyance with adeptness putting it on.  I've tried it both ways - stick the magnet first, and then grasp the earpiece in a fluid movement and tilt it on.  Or put the earpiece on first, then slide finger back to get the magnet and pin it up, all while my other hand holds my hair back.  Either way, my fingers inevitably rub against the microphone while adjusting it, which really grates a little.  And sometimes if I do the earpiece-part-first, or trying to adjust my hair around, the darn thing falls off.  Maybe just a 'new'(ish) thing or long-haired thing still iron out... eh.  I'm kinda looking forward to trying a Rondo, for that aspect!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C. 

I have long hair too - try tilting your head to one side and sliding the magnet underneath the “curtain” of hair. This way all your hair is on top of the magnet. I use both hands and put the magnet on first and then the processor on my ear otherwise I’ll drop it for sure 👍 I’ve never brushed the microphone this way of putting it on...took some time to figure out with my hair 😂 

And for the Rondo...you’ll find it gets lost in your long hair! Haha. All good though, I like the Rondo.

Hope this little trick helps! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

@Megan L.

I guess everyone has a different technique. I put the earpiece on first and then I tilt my head and put the other part on. My magnet appears to be above my ear. I'm just realising that. Maybe that's why I can still take phone calls holding the phone near my actual ear. Some people seem to have the magnet placed further back. I also make sure that the cable is placed like a semicircle and not curvy. I think that helps so my hair isn't pushing down the cable. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

That we do! 😂 I have to tilt my head for the whole thing otherwise my hair will be stuck behind my ear and the processor will fly off. Do you wear the Rondo 2? When I wear the Rondo, the phone is placed back by the magnet area but the Sonnet is right by my ear

I received My Rondo 2 last week. I see the audiologist in April and I’ll take to her for programming 

Never had the Rondo this will be my first experience so it has to be positive.Do you use both Rondo and Sonnets how do you Roger with 

Sonnet 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh Yes I know but I remember you couldn’t get the Rondo to stay on your head. I don’t think you can use the Roger with the Rondo - one is an FM system and the other is  telecoil/Bluetooth 

• HearPeers Heroes

Roger can be used with Rondo and Rondo 2 via two options:

Roger MyLink neckloop receiver (on MT or T)

or

Roger X receiver plugged into the mini battery pack (stay on M)

Right Megan when I got the first implant Rondo wasn’t staying on my head even with the strongest magnet audiologist said I have a hard,thick head HAHA ,I will be seeing the MedEL Rep  in January at a mingle here in Pittsburgh and that is what I am going to ask about since I have 2 Roger FM battery cover and I am not giving one up I had to buy the second one @$1000.00 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh 😂 haha I remember that conversation.

I know my Roger system is not compatible with the Rondo because of the FM battery cover. Mary Beth offered some solutions in the previous post so maybe they will work? And you can never go wrong with talking to a Med El Rep, so helpful 👍

Ha... yeah... the things they don't tell us about long hair being an 'issue'!  ;D

Thanks for the idea... that's sort of what I'm doing, sort of not, and it works, just annoyingly gets 'jarred' sometimes, and just seeing how to be more 'adept' with it.  My magnet is more at an angle behind my ear, not above, so I usually just hold the hair back at that 'level', then drop it.  I don't see how you're not brushing the microphone at all though, seeing as the darn placement of the thing is right near the top of the Sonnet, and my finger touches when I tuck it on the top of my ear.   Huh... made me think about the Rondo, though... how it'll be further back to place the phone against, then (if and when I start using the phone on that side... 😜    😜  )

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s definitely a long hair issue!

Its hard to explain how I hold the processor - I snap the magnet in and then I use 2 hands to hold the top by the hook and bottom of the processor to get the hook positioned on my ear. My magnet is positioned the same as yours - behind the ear and slightly up 👍

You’ll figure it out! Takes time to find your way of doing it 😁 I lean over the whole time so everything is under my hair “curtain” 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.and @Emily C.

This is quite interesting.  I don’t have long hair.  I don’t touch the mic area at all when putting my Sonnets on.  I use one hand.  Rest the Sonnet on my ear and put the coil in place.

If there is a way for you to attach the coil after the Sonnet is on your ear @Emily C., it won’t matter if you had touched the mic area since you won’t hear it yet.  Is that possible to do?